Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elective ceseareans increase risk of lung problems

4 posters

Go down

Elective ceseareans increase risk of lung problems Empty Elective ceseareans increase risk of lung problems

Post by kay Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:27 pm

I was reading today in a magazine that 1 in 3 births are now elective ceseareans, where as 10 years ago it was much less and in an emergency only.
The natural birth process, when baby is pushed through the birth canal, kick starts the lungs into action properly and prepares them for the 1st breath. When baby is 'lifted' out, the lungs do not go through this natural process, and these babies are 10% more likely to suffer lung and chest problems.

This could go some way to explaining the increasing levels of asthma etc.
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Elective ceseareans increase risk of lung problems Empty Re: Elective ceseareans increase risk of lung problems

Post by Natasha Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:55 pm

I think an emergency section can be horrifying for many of the women, my mum had to have one twice because of low lying placenta.

I would never choose to do it, only do it in the event of my babies health being in danger, but the problem is many women are pushed to do it when the doctors and nurses make them have one when it isn't nessesary.

To choose to have one because of your own vain reasons or because you scared im sorry but personaly I dont see why they need it and shouldn't.

Giving birth vaginaly can be very painful, (thought of doing it again in the future makes me not to want sex again Razz) and it is the same for Csec recovery ( according to my mom whos has gone through 4 vaginal and two Csec)

Csecs are not natural and should be only used when its the ONLY last option!
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Elective ceseareans increase risk of lung problems Empty Re: Elective ceseareans increase risk of lung problems

Post by kay Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm

I agree!

I think the hospitals are largely to blame, they seem to just jump in with 'oh we'll book you in for a section'.
There is a need for c section when either mum or baby health is put at risk, but i dont understand the increasing culture for 'booking' them in.

The hospitals are the same with pain relief - while i have been in, they constantly come at me with a shot of pethidine - which i have to make a very big issue out of refusing, as it can cause problems in an early labour baby. Their attitude is ' oh the nurses on SCBU will give another injection to reverse the effects!' erm, no thanks Evil or Very Mad
they also try and force it on all mums starting labour on antenatal - it seems you have to be very strong to state your case, and be very adamant with what you do and dont want.
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Chelle7 Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:31 pm

I agree with you re.elective c-secs!
Cannot understand why anyone would opt to have one. I have had 4 (all emergencies) with Zachary they nearly lost me!
This is a major operation, so not only is the mother recovering from giving birth but also major surgery. After 2 of my sections I also ended up with severe infection in my wound and was practically immobile for weeks. Where as with my 3 normal deliveries I was up and at'em stright away. Breastfeeding was a lot easier after vaginal births too as din't have added pain of wound.
I don't understand why consultants give the option of elective sections as , as you say Kay it is also so much better for baby to be pushed out in order to kickstart lungs into working and much less risk for Mum too.

Chelle7

Female Number of posts : 148
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-10-03

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/features/display.var.1494973.0.our

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 pm

I agree about c-sections - i had to have one with Emily (breech) and i wanted to try for a natural breech delivery and was ready to argue my case at my consultants appointment but i never got there. Mad
My waters broke and had to go in for a cesarean - they wouldn't discuss the option of a natural birth as the risks were too high and my waters had broken.

The recovery period was long and painful but i did have a lot of discomfort after my vaginal delivery aswell due to a 3rd degree episiotomy and connor having to be 'scouped' out by 2 midwives. I could barely walk and was discharged the next day with no pain relief - at least with a c-section pain control is taken seriously.

I would say that the hosp i was in were very good regarding pain relief during labour - they left it entirely up to me and nver suggested it after i'd said i didn't want any in my early labour.

Emily has not suffered any brealthing diff but two babies delivered by c-scetion were taken into SCBU after developing breathing diffuiculties and the MW did say it was prbobably mucus that is pushed out during natural labour. In America they are now performing c-sections that mimic the birth canal 'experience' as they take the baby out to the chest level and wait for a contraction and then deliver. Obviously this cannot be done in all cases but ths shows that they know it is a disadvantage for babies.
ldnug
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down