Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 month growth spurt?

4 posters

Go down

3 month growth spurt? Empty 3 month growth spurt?

Post by happy_chick Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:58 pm

Ellie is feeding so much at the moment, shes feeding for about 1- 1&1/2 hrs and draining both breasts then latching and stressing/paddying cos they're empty... Shes also feeding more often and waking 2-3 times in the night for feeds when she used to sleep through. Do I top her up on a bit of formula cos shes still hungry as i darent express and her wanna feed again soon lol

Just wondering how long this will last for and is it normal? :boob:
happy_chick
happy_chick

Female Number of posts : 115
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Back to top Go down

3 month growth spurt? Empty Re: 3 month growth spurt?

Post by Natasha Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:02 pm

Very Happy Your tittle answerd your own question.

It is indeed a growth spurt and typicaly last no longer than a week or more, it is very normal and i suggest you eat as many milk filling things you can ie; oats and plenty of carbs.

I also highly recommend plenty of skin to skin, and laying in bed with snacks and dvd just feeding.

You will match her supply very soon if you carry on as you are, I think if you add formula it will risk putting your breastfeeding relationship to a stand still.

totaly upto you though, but I definetly feel its a growth spurt and its one of the bigguns!

:aww: Well done though, you are doing great x
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by happy_chick Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:06 pm

Its not like I have low milk either, my boobs are full alot of the time and have no problem normally so was a bit shocked! Shes always been a good feeder but blumin heck this is shocking haha I thought the 6 week growth spurt was bad! lol

Cheers for advice, I probably wont give her formula as she hasnt really had it at all since being born and wud probably upset her tum but just nice to know its there if shes hungry and shes totally drained me!
happy_chick
happy_chick

Female Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:16 pm

:aww:

I found when Oli was getting fractious I gave her to OH and massaged my breasts like a cow Razz

Your milk will be made very quickly during this time and doing the milking really helps to get a let down .

Your doing very well hun :aww:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nichola Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:39 pm

:aww: growth spurts are tough.

Keep on doing what you are doing and feed on demand as often as Ellie wants to.

I agree that it can help to hand the baby over to Daddy sometimes as often they can calm them and it gives you abreak.

Try to avoid topping up with formula as it would interfer with the supply and demand system. Ellie is demanding more milk and your supply needs to catch up if you give formula your body will think it needs to make less milk not more.

Be kind to yourself :aww:

Nichola x

nichola
BreastBuddies
BreastBuddies

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:33 pm

Aww hun I remember these growth spurts well!

What I used to do was spend all day every day as close as possible to Brody with boobs free - as Tasha says, get crashed out on your bed with a dvd and munchies! ( if possible of course!!!)

When he got himself so worked up, daddy used to take him for a walk up and down the stairs for a few minutes and we found that he would always just latch on quietly once he had calmed himself down a bit!
:aww: :aww: :aww: :aww: :aww:
jools
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down