Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

question about my operation

4 posters

Go down

question about my operation Empty question about my operation

Post by Helen Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:28 pm

Some of you no about the operation i was due to have at the end of august to have a derma solid cyst removed from my right ovary. And that the stupid surgeon rang me 2 days beforehand to tell me she doesnt do key hole surgery and only does open surgery and she didnt no i was breastfeeding (she would've known if she had actually seen me the 2 times i had appointments and she fobbed me off with 2 other doctors who put me down for keyhole Mad at the beggining of the year)! Anyway, i think i told you that the converstaion i had with the consultant the 2 days before the op was that as she didnt do keyhole which would be more appropriate as i'm :boob: she would put me straight on another persons waiting list. Instead she cancelled the whole operation and sent letters to my GP to inform them that i had decided to cancel because i'm still :boob: ! I am still so angry that she lied like this!

Anyway, my question is coming i promise Laughing . I since got re-referred by my GP to another gyno who i see on 22nd October (before i'm even on the waiting list). But at first she wasnt going to refer me because i'm still :boob: because she said that with any operation it can result in my milk drying up and that i would have to be prepared of that happening! I am sure she is totally wrong about this?! Has any of you heard of this? I tried to argue with her that i had never heard of this happening and that breastfeeding counsellors had never mentioned it. But she still insisted that it can happen. Can it?!!!! Shocked
Helen
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

question about my operation Empty Re: question about my operation

Post by salocius Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:48 pm

I'm currently doing my peer support training for mother 2 mother. we happened to discuss does your milk dry up. Apparently once you have had a child your milk will never dry up you can stop producing milk. I don't know how certain that is, I have a book to read which i might take upstairs wth me and start to read it.

salocius

Female Number of posts : 98
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Upset
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:02 pm

thanks hun i just thought it was a bizarre thing for my GP to say Rolling Eyes
Helen
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by salocius Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:23 pm

From my experience GP's are not clued up on :boob: and that they get out is to tell us mum's to stop :boob: Well mine has anyway.

salocius

Female Number of posts : 98
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Upset
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:08 am

Frankly your GP is talking bollocks.

The only way your milk is going to dry up is if you stop bfing completely, and even then it could take days or even weeks!

There are certain medications which can affect your supply, like decogestants, but for most medications which are contraindictated for bfing there is a safe alternative.

My friend had a cs under GA as they screwed up her epidural, yet she was still able to successfully bfed her son, as did my DH's boss, who had a massive bleed during her emcs when the surgeon cut a major artery.

The only thing I would say is I think (not talking from direct experience here, but anecdotally) keyhole surgery would be day surgery in that you would probably be discharged on the same day. If open I would imagine that you would need to be kept in for a couple of days, and that might cause problems if your dd can't stay with you. Depends on how often you are feeding, I certainly wouldn't be able to leave my ds overnight so would kick up a stink until I got it in writing I was having the keyhole surgery.

Personally I would contact your PALS and complain about the first surgeon, I think you have been treated appaullingly and certainly in contravention of the NICE guidelines which clearly support bfing! I would also use them to help you get the treatment you want.

Drusilla

Female Number of posts : 244
Tell us about yourself : People who have kids by more than 3 different men are SLAGS. They don't give a shit about the welfare of their children, otherwise they would be keeping their bloody legs shut and creating a STABLE environment for their kids, either in a stable relationship or as a single mother - because single mothers are perfectly capable of being fantastic parents. If you want to sleep around use some fucking contraception until you are sure your partner is in it for the long haul, it is not fucking difficult. Kids need stability - they don't need a succession of men coming in and out of their life.
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:17 am

Ive never heard of it hun - there might be a few hours where you cant feed bethany, but if you feed her as soon as possible and pump, your supply will 'up' again.
Women that have never had babies can produce milk through stimulation and or medication, and women whos babies have stopped bf can start to relactate.
Is she maybe thinking of medication you may have to take post-op and its effects on bf? you could discuss this with the consultant.
And bear in mind, waiting lists are not short - Bethany could be in school when you have the op! lol!
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down