Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

I need some advice!

Go down

default I need some advice!

Post by toriaaaaTRASH on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:33 pm

I think I want to stop? I don't know what to do. I don't really want to put her on formula so I won't stop untill she's old enough not to have formula. How long do they have milk for? Can they wean from breastfeeding a 1 year? Has anyone weaned at 1 year, what did you do? How long untill I can stop BF during the day and just BF before bed and in the morning? She loves water but I don't want her to not be getting enough breastmilk! She eats so much food.

For breakfast she has porridge and a yogurt, for lunch she has a cheese sandwich with a babybell and a yogurt or piece of fruit, and for dinner she has whatever I make her for dinner with a yogurt or desert. She snacks on baby biscotte, mini rusks, fruit, veg, anything snacky really! She eats so much. How much does she need to eat for me to not BF during the day? Is there any vitamins I can give her instead?

I don't know what to do. I love breastfeeding but I feel like I want to stop.
toriaaaaTRASH
toriaaaaTRASH

Female Number of posts : 124
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to a princess.
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

default Re: I need some advice!

Post by Natasha on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:53 pm

When Olivia reached a year old and went into her own room, she had already dropped alot of feeds.

She weaned herself by 13 months.

The usual signs are that they drop feeds on their own over the weeks and eventualy you just end up with a few night feeds and then they stop them too.

I remember this stage your at, I found it an inbetween stage of wanting to just pack it all in as I just wanted my body back and the other side of me wanted to carry on for her.

I found that when she decided to stop it was much easier for us both, lots of babies react different when being made to wean, some are fine but some babies who are made to wean from the breast turn back to wanting to feed more as they are being made to do something they are not happy with.

If shes enjoying the breast and you do love it, maybe follow her lead?

Shes still only 8 months old and the milk is still so important for her development and growth whether that was formula or breast.

Olivia was never interested in any other milk other than mine, and even now shes not keen on cow or goats milk and only will have it with breakfast (other ways to give the calcium)

I would play it by ear, you cant go wrong when you follow them, but equally if your not happy to continue then you will need to look into weaning her back onto formula, which to me just defeats what you were trying to do not so long ago.

:aww:

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by toriaaaaTRASH on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:59 pm

Thank you! But what if she wants to stop before 12 months? Should I give her formula or cows milk.. Or just give her water? It's all so confusing!!
toriaaaaTRASH
toriaaaaTRASH

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:01 pm

If she does stop before 12 months, which imo is quite unlikely.

You will need to give her formula, but theres no specific cut off line, I think it would be fine to give her cows milk from end of 11/12 months onwards as main milk, but thats only if she weaned that early.

Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by toriaaaaTRASH on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:02 pm

Thank you Smile
toriaaaaTRASH
toriaaaaTRASH

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:06 pm

Also for example Oli weaned around 13 months, she wouldnt drink cows milk/goats she wasn't keen at all, so I made sure her diet had enough calcium in it and she had a very balanced diet, so I dont always think its important to make sure you give them cows milk after 12 months, but if shes breastfeeding I would always stick with that as it has everything there and more, when this baby comes if it wants to continue for longer than Olivia I would certainly encourage that as it is so good for them compaired to anything else, but its personal choice.

Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:29 pm

Agree with Tasha - Emily weaned the same age as Oli.

You would have to give formula before a year but Emily would never take it (tried it to supplement for going back to work with no success)

Cows milk on cereals etc from 6mth but not as a drink until 12 months.

Think it is unlikely she would wean before a year - although around 8-10 months they can get very ditracted and BF is more challenging then and it is almost like they want to wean.
ldnug
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down