Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could do with some advice

5 posters

Go down

Could do with some advice Empty Could do with some advice

Post by kaygeebee Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi ladies,

I could do with some advice from your lovely selves!

I'm back to work part time at the moment, and next week, after the bank holiday will be full time. Owen is 1 on Wednesday.

Owen feeds on demand, but has been cutting down on his daytime milk. He sometimes feeds mid morning and mid afternoon, sometimes just one of those and sometimes doesn't want to feed at all. He always takes a good feed at bedtime and at least one good feed (sometimes 2) in the night. HE also feeds in the morning.

He's allergic to dairy (although is showing signs of starting to grow out of this) so from about 9 months he's had a prescribed hydrolysed formula instead of cow's milk on his cereal.

I'm having real trouble expressing on the days I'm at work. In 2 sessions, I'm lucky if I can express 3oz total! I'm clearly not going to be able to sustain expressing feeds 'in case' he needs them and my freezer stocks are dwindling. So, I've been contemplating what to do.

Options ........

1) Provide what I can for now and start mixing it with the prescribed formula if I can't produce enough.
2) Provide what I can for now and try him on Cow's milk again to see if he can tolerate it - possibly switch to Cow's milk or mix with EBM if he can tolerate it.
3) Forget providing daytime milk given that he is going to be over 1 next time he goes to nursery, seems OK, often doesn't take one or both feeds anyway, and feed on demand whenever I am around instead. He does have 3 meals whilst at nursery - it's not like he will be hungry!

Thanks ladies, I want to keep feeding as long as Owen wants - just not sure where to go with this now!

Karen. x

kaygeebee

Female Number of posts : 127
Tell us about yourself : mum to a little boy, born August 2009
Your mood today : Bored
Thanks and Reputation points : 4
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Could do with some advice Empty Re: Could do with some advice

Post by Natasha Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

I would just carry on as you are hunny! and when you can't manage to pump anymore then I would just carry on feeding him when you get home.

He doesn't 'need' breastmilk in the day like a newbie, if he is eating and getting enough through food I would not be concerned at all!

By a year your breasts are very much settled and its likely you will feed in the evening and then should be fine on a weekends too.

Just see how you go, and certainly do not worry about it!

I love you
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:10 pm

I went back to work full time when lil miss was a year old (she was 11 months, 3 weeks and some odd days to be exact). She wasn't lactose intolerant, but we didn't give her any formula supplements in between. Tbf, humans aren't designed to drink bovine milk of any kind regardless of age which is why there is so much lactose intolerance and your son is proof of that. Drop the milk all together, put him onto solids during the day, with water/juice as hydration and nurse on demand when you are around. You can get far better quantities of calcium into him by making sure he has a varied diet with many green leafy veg and with a full vit supplement if you are that worried if he is also a picky eater. My "mother" and I use the term loosely as she isn't really one, used to give my child glasses of milk if she was round her house against my will and it used to give her an upset stomach so I'd lie and say she was lactose intolerant. It's a mild form but it's just evidence that humans aren't designed to ingest other mammals milk yet.

My milk levels didn't really seem to dwindle or such. She did seem to switch from nursing for nutrients to nursing for comfort though and there was a lot of nursing just before work and just after coming home. There is something quite comforting though in having that little nursing session after returning home, a rebonding. I think it's something that most working mothers who don't bf don't get to experience. A 20 minute un-interupted cuddle where they just gaze into your eyes as if to say "hey mum. Where have you been? I've really missed you." and you can talk about your days together. It's really important.

I found she upped her night feedings too (just a warning) then that calmed down too. I think that was a comfort thing as well due to the sudden change in mummy not being there. She still feeds frequently now, all through the weekend, maybe 5 to 8 times a day if I am at home....3 to 4 if it's a work day. You may find he chooses to wean but it's all natural.

If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them...I was in your shoes about a year and half ago. It was scary and sad all at the same time, but she fared well Smile

However I went with number 3 and it worked out fine Smile
Squiglet
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by kaygeebee Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks so much for your replies. :-)

Yes, I'm expecting the night feeds to go up - in fact they have started to already because he's been having some EBM on the days I've been working and not taking as much as he would if I was around. I'm prepared for that - and although it will be tiring I know it's the price for providing the most natural source of nutrition for my child. It's so worth it!

Today was his first 'full' day at nursery, so I left a small amount of EBM and a sippy cup (same as he takes water from) in case he needed it. They didn't try it until 4pm and then he only took 2oz, so I think you're right, I'll go with number 3 and I'm pretty sure he will be just fine. Nursery seems to offer meals at very regular intervals in the day and he's a good eater, so I'm sure he won't go hungry.

I was determined to feed past a year and make sure he had that extra protection when he started nursery and encountered all those nasty bugs flying around and I'm so pleased that we are doing that. I do love the special bod that feeding brings, and I'm happy to take it at his pace and feed as long as he wants to. (and if he chooses to wean, well that's fine too)

Thanks for the support ....... sometimes you need someone else to tell you what you think you know!

kaygeebee

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:36 pm

I love you must of missed this, but im glad your feeling better about it.

How is it going hunny?
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kaygeebee Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:50 pm

Awww thanks for asking Natasha!

I think it's actually going as well as it could, and I'm really happy about it!

I've stopped expressing at work, because the time and effort involved for the small amount I was getting was just making me more stressed! Owen has settled down brilliantly in nursery, is eating and sleeping well whilst there. He has now been going there for over a month, and so far hasn't suffered any of the 'new place' sniffles and bugs that everyone has been warning me about when they start nursery - which is exactly what I had hoped - I love the power of breastmilk!!

He has upped his night feeds a bit, but that's OK too - I love the quiet house / just me and Owen feeling!

I'm enjoying feeding more than ever because it really is our special bond / cuddle at the start and end of the day - There is nothing nicer I love you

kaygeebee

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:44 am

good to know things are going well hug2
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Michellelyg Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:01 am

I continue pumping when I return to work; althought the milk supply seems reduce. I continue with the pumping, early morning breastfeeding and night feeding. I mix the feeding with formula milk, but seems like she was not getting it well...later I change to soy milk, and it works well for her. I just breastfeed whenever I can, especially during weekend and public holiday. slingtwin

Michellelyg

Female Number of posts : 2
Tell us about yourself : I have experienced some difficulties in breastfeeding my babies. I am also a working mother, so I could share my experience and problems that I have encountered as a breastfeeding working mother.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2010-09-20

http://www.getmorebreastmilk.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down