Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice needed in case he is prem!

+2
angpixi
kay
6 posters

Go down

Advice needed in case he is prem! Empty Advice needed in case he is prem!

Post by kay Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:40 pm

Hi girls - just want to bend the ears of anyone who has had a prem baby.

If Cory comes early (which seems inevitable now), i would imagine he is going to need ebm thru a tube at least to begin, which i am worrying about as i am so determined to successfully BF this time - i had images of latching him straight after birth etc and me persevering thru milk coming in etc with the support of you girls.
Now im faced with pumping for the first few weeks and i am worried.
I know it may not happen, or he may be big enough to latch, but those that know me by now will know that i like to be prepared!

so i just really wanted some tips and advice on pumping, and how big babes were when they stopped tube and started latching etc, and also experiences with bonding - this is in the back of my mind as there may come a point when he is in hospital and im not :tear:

I know it may not happen, but if it does, i obviously dont have access to you girls and just want to be prepared.

Thanks in advance, and sorry its a ramble, but my heads a bit screwed at the moment! drunken
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Advice needed in case he is prem! Empty Re: Advice needed in case he is prem!

Post by angpixi Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:52 pm

oh you poor thing you must have loads of things swimming round in your head at the moment :aww: i dont actually have any personal experiance of prem babies but i know its possible to bf and go on to bf for a long time after. im sure you wont have any trouble bonding you already love him as much as is possible and the nurses in scbu are well equiped to make it as easy as possible. expressing is different for everyone and for each time you bf! with aeryn i only expressed one or 2 oz! but thats all she needed cos she fed little and often butwith willow i can express up to 5 oz. you could maybe ask you mw if its ok to start expressing before lo is born to stock up? i dont know if thats feasible so its best to check, but it might make you feel betterthat youve got enough?, i hope ive helped a little, but more i hope he stays in there til hes supposed to!!! :aww:
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:58 pm

Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:13 am

Thanks girls :aww:

i am going throgh google etc too, but internet time is limited as we have had xmas at Daves Aunties in case I go back in - kids settled etc! thought a problem shared, problem halved, you know!

Ive had a look around SCBU and met the nurses, and have a friend with LO in there - so i do feel ok about it. when i spoke to my friend and visited her on SCBU she said she has bonded foine, and leaves him there fine, but she'll go about her normally life and then suddenly 'remember' she has a baby! This is what worries me, cos its not your ideal of having your baby and having to get on with life as much as you can with out him there. Saying that, with the steroids and my dates now, i think we have got to be looing at 4 1/2 to 5 lbs now, so im probably worrying unneccarily! (and he could well go a bit more!)

We'll just have to wait and see - but thankyou so much for the links and tips so far :aww:

Oh, Ange - I had thought about expressing like the lady who introduced herself the pther week and built a supply up, but was worried with my womb being so irritable that the nipple stimulation could trigger the full strength contractions again. I am going to speak to MWs though to get as much info and help off them as poss xxx
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:36 am

Kay: you must not express now!!!!!
Breastfeeding and expressing milk while preg is not recommended and forbidden for everyone who in in a risk of premature labour!
Never do this!!!!!Your milk will kick in when baby is born and there is no reason why you would have problems with supply or pumping when needed.
Kasia80
Kasia80

Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:38 am

And this was first time i heard of expressing milk before baby was born by natural mother- i heard about ladies relactating or lactating for adopted baby, but never about mother with high risk preg and risk of prem labour
Kasia80
Kasia80

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:27 pm

sorry i wasnt thinking i just thought of my friend whos little girl was born with problems they knew she would be in scbu for a while b4 she was born so a week or so b4 she was due she expressed a little, i forgot about the nipple stimulation inducing labour, Embarassed pale
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:45 pm

angpixi wrote:sorry i wasnt thinking i just thought of my friend whos little girl was born with problems they knew she would be in scbu for a while b4 she was born so a week or so b4 she was due she expressed a little, i forgot about the nipple stimulation inducing labour, Embarassed pale
:aww:
Kasia80
Kasia80

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:14 pm

Dont worry Ange - it was one of the 1st things that went through my mind to try and build supply up. It was only when i started thinking about it properly i realised that nipple stimulation is not what i need at the moment Razz
I think it may be ok for some women, but as i have threatened labour and such an irritable uterus its not for me.

:aww:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by rhi'smummy Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:18 pm

Hi, I've not been here for a while, and didn't have a prem baby, but my DD Rhianna was in SCBU for a while and wouldn't feed from me, so I pumped and fed her through a tube. It was realy hard work, I had to pump every 3 hours, and each time took up to an hour so I got very little sleep, and as she was in an incubator I could hardly hold her. She was taken in just as my 3 day blues hit, so I spent most of the time crying and just holding her hand. But even though it was hard, I think it realy helped me to bond, even though I couldn't cuddle her, I was connected to her because I was working on providing for her. I didn't get a chance to get on with normal life, (although she was my 1st, so I did have the time to be with her) because every 3 hours I was providing for her. The 1st time I pumped I got I got about 10ml in about 30 mins, I felt terrible, like I wasn't good enough, but a lovely MW told me it was all she needed and gave me the encouragement to keep going.
I realy hope things go well for you, but you seem well prepaired in case they dont, and able to cope with whatever. Remember as well, even if you have to have a cesarian, it should still be possible for you to have your 1st skin to skin cuddle, even if its a short cuddle or a minute or 2 after if she needs help imediately.
Good luck and lots of happy thoughts sent your way
Mary
rhi'smummy
rhi'smummy

Female Number of posts : 511
Tell us about yourself : Mum to milk monster Rhianna
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:29 pm

Thanks Mary!
Were you in Bangor SCBU? I here they are good there, but they can only provide SCBU care over a certain gestation/weight.
I will be in Glan Clwyd, but have met some of the nurses and know they are good, especially with the pumping. They use donated milk in ther too which is handy to know, although i would obviously like to use my own if all goes to plan - it would be the better alternative to formula.
I would certainly spend at least a week in - cesaerean or not, and im sure i would have the support to be back in most of the day for another couple of weeks if nesseccary.
fingers crossed!
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by rhi'smummy Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:48 pm

I was in portsmouth, we were supposed to be at home, and had heard terrible things about st Mary's, but they were lovely. Well most of them, it definately pays to be well prepaired, 2 of the MV's we had in the normal ward were very anti BFing and told me I was making my baby ill by refusing to give her formula, one told me I was risking brain damage! She was jaundiced, but I knew what I needed and stuck to my guns, Hubby insisted a BFing councilor came to see us and eventualy things turned out fine, but I dont suppose I would have been thinking straight enough to say no to her if I didn't know before hand the potential problems of giving even one feed of formula.
Its good to know they have a store of donated EBM, but your body will supply the liquid gold Cory will need.
Mary
rhi'smummy
rhi'smummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:57 pm

Well, Kay, *if* there will be a need you can always make Dave run here, I've put away something for emergency for you :aww:
Chain of supplementing is:mother expressed milk, donnors milk, human milk bank milk, formula.
But I can't see why you would ever need any of it, as everything will be fine :aww:
Kasia80
Kasia80

Back to top Go down

Post by rhi'smummy Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:08 pm

I was going to ask Kay how did things turn out with the flat nipple things? Will you have to still use them or are you fully erect at all times? With all the prep you've been doing, Cory'll have no trouble finding his way :boob:
rhi'smummy
rhi'smummy

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:11 am

They not flat anymore! cheers
I might use them a little when 1st latching on, but i dont think i will have any worries. Main thing is the size of my boobs lol, but i have a good positioning cushion.
I thought you lived in Bangor, sorry Mary Rolling Eyes
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:12 pm

:aww: Oh Kay!

Honestly it will be fine, if you can't give him milk, as Katie says you will be able to get donated milk or Milk from the milk bank, please don't worry!

Once you have your little man at home we will all be here to help you, I promice :bighug:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:25 pm

:aww: Thankyou! :aww:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:34 pm

Nothing useful to add just :aww:
ldnug
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down