Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

green poo

+2
Helen
nikkimitch
6 posters

Go down

green poo Empty green poo

Post by nikkimitch Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi I am new to this forum and hoping someone can help Smile I am breastfeeding my 4th child who is now 6 weeks old. She is becoming colicky and unsettled in the evenings and only poos every 4-5 days - when she does it is 5-6 times in a row - this doesnt concern me too much as she is feeding well every 3-4 hours during the day and going to 5-6 hours at night. What worries me is the colour - a really vivid green - not something I remember with my other children. She gets quite distressed when she poos and it sounds and smells horrendous. It is very watery and like green slime.

Hoping someone has experienced this and can reassure me it is normal. :please?:

nikkimitch

Number of posts : 3
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Back to top Go down

green poo Empty Re: green poo

Post by Helen Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:44 pm

Hiya hun and welcome to the forum. Is she being exclusively breastfed? Is she draining your breast fully on one side? Because i no bethany has had green poo before because she werent getting enough of the hind milk. She's also had greenish poo's when she's been poorly :aww:
Helen
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:59 pm

👋 and welcome!

Coreys poo was always green when he had a cold - but it wasnt all the time, just when he was snuffly.
Helens tip on the fore/hind milk is good and worth checking.

sorry i cant be of any more help - there will be a resident expert along soon no doubt! Wink
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:22 pm

Helen wrote:Hiya hun and welcome to the forum. Is she being exclusively breastfed? Is she draining your breast fully on one side? Because i no bethany has had green poo before because she werent getting enough of the hind milk. She's also had greenish poo's when she's been poorly :aww:

:cheer: Welcome to the forum,Emily has the most foul green nappies sometimes, & the tip from Helen is a good one (i didnt no so will be checking that one !)
Im sure you will find an answer , everyone here is very helpful x
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:42 pm

Green poo is often a sign of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

Your foremilk, the watery milk that comes at the beginning of the feed and is responsible for keeping your baby hydrated, contains a lot of lactose.

Your hindmilk, the denser milk that comes at the end of the feed that gives her nutrients and fats, contains the enzyme that digests the lactose in the foremilk.

If baby is getting too much foremilk and not enough hind, baby will cry and scream because they can't digest the lactose. The green poop is often the giveaway.

I found the best way to make sure babies got enough hind milk was to feed from that one side first and then on the next feed, offer that breast again before moving onto the other for the rest of the feed, and then do the same again on the other breast.

Also there maybe a possiblity your child has an intolerance to something your eating, but in most cases it milk (cows etc) lactose intolerance can occur in newborns so its just a case of elimination.

Cut out milk for two weeks and or others foods that you dont eat often, but thats only if the feeding suggestion doesn't solve it.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:16 pm

hi and welcome!
Great advice from Natasha cheers
Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkimitch Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:14 pm

Thanks Natasha that makes a lot of sense - am not finding feeding particularly easy so may not be letting her get enough hindmilk - latching on is difficult and painful and I am exhausted with 3 other children to look after school runs etc - oldest is 6 and possibly autistic (we are in the early stages of referral) so life is pretty hectic. Will try what you have suggested re the feeding thanks again for the sensible advice Smile

nikkimitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:40 pm

No problem at all.

As for the hetic life, I can imagine its very hard!

I would suggest you take a look at these videos if your having trouble latching

http://www.breastfeeding.com/helpme/helpme_video.html

Latching should never be painful, always when latching, its chin to breast, mouth opens and then its under and over. Mouth over areola and nipple.

I used to hold Olivias head with one hand, with a finger each side of her jaw to get her to open wide Very Happy while supporting the back of the head with the palm.

But sometimes there can be other reasons like thrush etc, so make sure your looking out for those signs eg; white tongue.

The videos are very usefull, and if there are any other problems please let us know x
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkimitch Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:51 pm

Green poo has settled feeding is still painful though - like pins and needles in the breast mainly on the outside - both sides. Nipples look fine. Meg doesnt seem to have any white spots in her mouth. Saw HV last week who wondered ?thrush but as Meg's mouth was fine she sugggested trying different feeding positions - find I can only feed comfortably in one position though so that hasnt helped. Been better on days I have expressed so wondering if it is positional and when pumping all breast gets emptied so less painful??

nikkimitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:26 pm

Yes it does sound like position.

Have you looked at the videos?

I used to get the pins and needles when I wasn't latching properly.

Do you have a bfing pillow? I found that realy helped x
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down