Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Constant feeding in the evening?

+4
angpixi
jools
Kasia80
JaneJayandBaby
8 posters

Go down

Constant feeding in the evening? Empty Constant feeding in the evening?

Post by JaneJayandBaby Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:46 pm

Anyone know if its normal? He is now 12 days old. Normally he feeds every 3-4 hours. But the last few days in the evening he has fed constantly. Today I started feeding him at 8pm... fed him for about half an hour with burping in between. Came home in the car (20 min drive) when we got home he woke again and wanted more feeding... so fed him for 5 mins and he fell asleep... put him down for a nap... 5 mins later he is awake again and wanting feeding again... fed for 20 mins.

Just got him down with the help of a dummy (dont like using them, only use it when really feel i need to). but he is struggling to settle.

He got weighed today and is now 6lbs 1oz so has put on a whole pound in 1 week, which is more than they expected and hoped for. So its not as if he is not getting the food he needs.

Any idea where I am going wrong? I feel asthough I am doing something wrong, as he is constantly demanding the breast and if he doesnt get it he crys. But then once on the breast sometimes he is just falling asleep or just lies there with it in his mouth lol x
JaneJayandBaby
JaneJayandBaby

Female Number of posts : 30
Tell us about yourself : 24, married, mum to jaiden joshua.
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-07-27

http://www.glamourglitz.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Constant feeding in the evening? Empty Re: Constant feeding in the evening?

Post by Kasia80 Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:59 pm

:aww: You are doing NOTHING wrong hunnie!
it is perfectly normal sunny We call it cluster feedings. Baby would space feedings together closer at certain times of a day and go longer for the rest of day between feedings. Usually its evening when babies cluster feed.

Babies tend to feed more in the evening: this hepls mum to establish milk supply, as more feeding means more milk produced. At 12 days after delivery your supply is still establishinga and will till 6-8 weeks. Putting baby as often as possible to breast not only will boost and help establish supply but also is a wonderful way of bonding and enjoying your precious little one.

You should keep in mind that LO tummy is still tiny and he can take in only little volumes of milk at the time. Breast milk is "light"- so perfect, that is digested very fast. So- this is one of reasons baby can be feeding often.

Sometimes baby is not really eating- not sucking in a active way- he might be comforting, enjoying your closenes and waiting for more milk to be made up Wink

Babies cluster feed becasue many reasons: he could be having growth spurt- and probably is, which means he needs more milk to fuel him; also levels of milk are lower in the evening BUT because of special mix of hormones evening milk is higer in fat and calories. Also baby might have higher need of contact and sucking is a way of nurturing. sunny

You are doing great. cheers

hope this helps a little :aww:
Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:01 pm

and :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: for
He got weighed today and is now 6lbs 1oz so has put on a whole pound in 1 week, which is more than they expected and hoped for
cheers good job, keep it up, mama!!!!!!! Really, really good.
Kasia80
Kasia80

Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:03 am

As Katie said Very Happy You are doing brilliant cheers What a great weight gain too :cheer:
:boob: cheers :boob: cheers
jools
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:49 am

cheers cheers :cheer: :cheer: well done great weight gain :cheer: :cheer: cheers cheers
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:07 am

:cheer: :cheer: well done hun!!!!! :cheer: :cheer:
piesmummy2006
piesmummy2006

Female Number of posts : 2089
Tell us about yourself : i would say i am a yummy mummy to Niamh nearly 2 (who i am still breast feeding), and a childrens student nurse!!!!!
Your mood today : Naughty
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneJayandBaby Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:47 am

Thanks girls, having been up most of the night constantly having him sucking on my nipple, your replies have cheered me up def!

His tummy is massive this morning, and still he wants to feed lol... and he is pooping for the fun of it.

Can I ask... how do you tell the difference between when he wants feeding and when he is just having an "active" period?

I know if he crys he is hungry... but sometimes he is awake and making tons of noise (like 5am this morning lol). If I put him to the nipple he will suckle...but sometimes for a while and othertimes he will keep letting go.

Also at just under 2 weeks old (he'll be 2 weeks on Monday) how many "active" periods should he roughly be having? x
JaneJayandBaby
JaneJayandBaby

Female Number of posts : 30
Tell us about yourself : 24, married, mum to jaiden joshua.
Registration date : 2008-07-27

http://www.glamourglitz.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:16 pm

There isn't any rule or "how many" really. I'm sure he is feeding more often now, as he is in "age" when most babies have growth spurts: you can "expect" them in early days at home, then 7-10 days, 2-3 weeks, 4-6 weeks and normally every 3 weeks after that till 6 months and every 3 months or so after. But babies don't read callendars so some hit growth spurt earlyer than others, some later.
If it is early morning or night when he seems to be making lots of fuss you can offer breast to try to settle him and get some more sleep- this way he will get used to daily pattern; if it is during day when he is fussy and you are not sure what he wants: I would start with checking nappy, is he too hot/ cold, observe hunger clues also like putting hands to mouth, sucking on tongue, etc. Offer breast and if he is just poping of and on breast try to do few minutes of tummy time, talk to him, cuddle, sing, etc to entertain him- he'll get tired soon probably anyway.
Baby around 2 weeks old should be fed around 8-12+ times a day to give you rough idea- you can't nurse too much, but you can not enough if you don't follow his hunger cues. It is important to follow your baby.

Some more hunger cues:

Early

• Smacking or licking lips
  • Opening and closing mouth
  • Sucking on lips, tongue, hands, fingers, toes, toys, or clothing
Active

• Rooting around on the chest of whoever is carrying him
  • Trying to position for nursing, either by lying back or pulling on your clothes
  • Fidgeting or squirming around a lot
  • Hitting you on the arm or chest repeatedly
  • Fussing or breathing fast
Late

• Moving head frantically from side to side
  • Crying

Kasia80
Kasia80

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:19 pm

Well done hun, I agree with Katie its normal, you can't go wrong feeding on demand, some of the times are more demanding than others.

Well done on the weight, thats great :aww:

:boob:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:00 pm

Well if he's gained that much weight...no wonder hes feeding so much...Its totally normal... Lil miss was the same in the evenings...you're doing brilliantly..
Squiglet
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:38 am

jane its definately normal. you are doing brilliant! wow that weight gain is brilliant! cheers :boob: cheers :boob:
Helen
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down