Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hospitals putting infants at risk by ignoring breastfeeding

+5
jools
traceyf
kay
Natasha
Kasia80
9 posters

Go down

Hospitals putting infants at risk by ignoring breastfeeding Empty Hospitals putting infants at risk by ignoring breastfeeding

Post by Kasia80 Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:57 pm

http://society.guardian.co.uk/health/news/0,,2158674,00.html

The long-term health of mothers and babies is being put at risk by UK hospitals that have failed to introduce pro-breastfeeding policies, the United Nations says.
Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Hospitals putting infants at risk by ignoring breastfeeding Empty Re: Hospitals putting infants at risk by ignoring breastfeeding

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:01 pm

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Back to top Go down

Hospitals putting infants at risk by ignoring breastfeeding Empty Re: Hospitals putting infants at risk by ignoring breastfeeding

Post by Natasha Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:44 pm

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I knew that!

It's disgusting Mad
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:02 am

I received no support with last 2 in hospital or afterwards.
I know midwives are pushed at the moment, but so many women were calling midwives to their beds to get them to help them to latch on, and were being brushed off as there were not enough MWs and they had other things to do. I didnt even bother calling them...
My community MWs were no better - hardly came out, just phoned. Told them i was having trouble BF and was told to give formula!
HV was worse still- "bottle feeding is easier, less stressful and they sleep better".
With no local support group and little knowledge and support, no wonder i gave up after 3 days. Its only since joining here for next one that ive learnt so much - i thought i had no milk, but didnt wait long enough etc.
I feel really let and disappointed now - but im going to give it a bloody good go this time (quite tempted by a home birth too)
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:12 am

Kay:go for a home birth, hun! :aww:

You can do this!
:aww:

I wanted home birth with Maya, but ...well you all know her birth story!
Razz
Kasia80
Kasia80

Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:17 am

I only just got to hospital in time with Ty, so this one will probably be quicker again!
I may as well plan for a home birth, although my MW is trying to discourage me from this too Evil or Very Mad
If i had the money i would hire an independent MW!
Might go and put the lottery on now. Laughing
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:26 am

Kay, if you want homw birth you should have it!
Where do you love, hun?

Some regions have small midwife operated birthing centres!Some of them are rated by UNICEF as baby friendly.
http://www.babyfriendly.org.uk/page.asp?page=43
just put your postcode and it will tell you, are there any!

I just found out from it that JR in Oxford doesn't have accredidtation Shocked
Witch really doesn't suprise me!
When John was born midwifes even didn't show me how to hold a baby for feeding, and when I asked where I can give him a wash they just laughed; I've never held a newborn before he was born, not saying changing ther nappy, bathing, and dressing, and they just had so much fun on my account! Evil or Very Mad At night midwifes were coming to check Johns temp- he swallowed waters with meconium, and once on midwife put my bed up so I can feed him sitting- and I really liked doing it laying down Rolling Eyes , and she didn't show me how to put it back down!Oh, how annoyed she was when Idid ring for help!
Mad
Kasia80
Kasia80

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:43 pm

mine has a 'certificate of commitment' which means they aim to become 'baby friendly' - so mine is no better than yours! lol!
there are no birthing centres within 50 miles,so think i will plan for a HB, but keep an open mind.
Thanks for the info kasia - youre a mine of information! :aww:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:42 pm

I can't remember how Fiona did call me other day...It was a link diva or something like that...lol :lmao:

I'm just happy to help, kay! :aww:
Kasia80
Kasia80

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:30 pm

kasia80 wrote:I can't remember how Fiona did call me other day...It was a link diva or something like that...lol :lmao:

I'm just happy to help, kay! :aww:

yeah the queen of links you are, u mention about something and there it is a link for us..

kay have a home birth dont be discouraged from your mw, they should help you get what u want Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:31 pm

Yes!Fiona, now I remember!
Kasia80
Kasia80

Back to top Go down

Post by traceyf Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:26 pm

I'd had such a bad time with my first daughter, being bullied into giving her a bottle of formula because my milk wasn't in on day 2, having no support B/F both in hospital and at home with community MW that this time, I opted for Private MW and a homebirth. Had a lovely experience this time around.
Tracey

traceyf

Female Number of posts : 4
Tell us about yourself : mum to Jessica 2 1/2 and emily 7 months
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:16 pm

wow! cheers

great to hear a success story!
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:36 pm

That's terrible! Evil or Very Mad

I was so lucky I couldn't fault our hospital with the help they gave me (after the initial problems about being told to wait ages until his first feed). They knew we were having problems latching and they gave me so much help and really didn't want me to leave until everything was sorted.
jools
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by beanie Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:53 pm

Unfortunetly I'd say in my experience that unless you have a private midwife then a homebirth isn't much better in terms of support either.
beanie
beanie

Female Number of posts : 136
Tell us about yourself : About you:Mummy to a blue eyed Star and a brown eyed Cuddlebug
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:02 pm

Spanish hospitals are crazy tbh. If your baby is fine they won't give you forumla in hospital...but if they aren't then thats a different story... They tried to give me tablets to dry up my milk when lil miss got taken to SCBU, they gave her formula without my permission, refused to let me feed her (they physically closed the ward and threatened to call the Guardia when I protested Sad ). All because bfing had apparently caused her jaundice Sad ... I never got much help with Tia, they told me to put her on formula top ups after birth but it was far better than the support I got in Spanish hospitals... Ironically Spain has better rates of bfing than the UK though Shocked

I'd give anything for a home birth tbh... Smile but thats not possible here :iconsad:
Squiglet
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:36 pm

:aww: What a horrible experence Squiglet, I also think its really sad you don't get the option of a home birth.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:17 pm

Natasha wrote::aww: What a horrible experence Squiglet, I also think its really sad you don't get the option of a home birth.

I got told that babies born in water drown... :icondoh: and Tens machines will electrocute you... :lmao: The next time I plan on being blue lighted to the hospital tbh.. I'm waiting to the last minute and walking out (discharging myself and the baby) from the hospital the day after. Its pregnancy and labour, not some major heart surgery Evil or Very Mad

MW don't come to your house either before, after or during labour. They just don't have the staff nor is it "safe" apparently. Rolling Eyes Spains about 50 years behind the UK in birthing standards, unless you go private, and well you end up in the same hospital anyway.Rolling Eyes
Squiglet
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:28 pm

What a baby born in water will drown and the tens will electrocute you :haha:

Oh I wouldn't like that not having choice and that type of (non) midwifery care.

Makes me feel very lucky!
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:18 am

Squiglet wrote:
Natasha wrote::aww: What a horrible experence Squiglet, I also think its really sad you don't get the option of a home birth.

I got told that babies born in water drown... :icondoh: and Tens machines will electrocute you... :lmao: The next time I plan on being blue lighted to the hospital tbh.. I'm waiting to the last minute and walking out (discharging myself and the baby) from the hospital the day after. Its pregnancy and labour, not some major heart surgery Evil or Very Mad

MW don't come to your house either before, after or during labour. They just don't have the staff nor is it "safe" apparently. Rolling Eyes Spains about 50 years behind the UK in birthing standards, unless you go private, and well you end up in the same hospital anyway.Rolling Eyes

That's crazy! Mad
jools
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:49 pm

:aww: Poor you Squiglet - it is funny to read about their attitudes but actually it is frightening!

I had an excellent experience with BF both times in hosp - they are BF friendly an have 3/4 BF nurses available at each shift. They will not give formula unless it is an emergency and when I said I didn't want to give Emily top ups when she had jaundice they respected that. Even though I had BF before because she was early and quite small she struggled to latch and they were incredibly supportive.

It is a shame we do not have more hosp like this in the UK - but I do think ones like this should be praised for their efforts.
ldnug
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Mervs Mum Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:03 pm

My hospital is the same Lisa. I was really chuffed too. Smile
Mervs Mum
Mervs Mum

Female Number of posts : 221
Tell us about yourself : Lisa, Mummy to Emily, 14 & Hebe: My Little Pickle...x
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : -1
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down