Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you think BFG should be celebrated no matter how short?

5 posters

Go down

Do you think BFG should be celebrated no matter how short? Empty Do you think BFG should be celebrated no matter how short?

Post by Pink Rose Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:38 pm

I have noticed a trend in the UK, that any BFG should be celebrated no matter how short you do it for; few weeks to a couple of months.

This attitude rather puzzles me confused . If we are celebrating women in the UK on BFG who have succeeded, but have chosen to stop after such a short time. Aren't we sending out the message that it's OK, cos you have done your bit cos you have least breastfed?

This baffles me! I have came across this BFG woman on another forum who succeeded in BFG, but wanted to give it up at 10 weeks b/c she was getting tired and fed-up with it. And everyone celebrated her for at least doing it the 1st place, it was like a some big party! And I was the only person that didn't and I just advised her to stop BFG slowly instead to let her breasts adapt and warned her that her baby may have a longer time recovering from bugs and colds.

What's your view? Weird attitude?
Pink Rose
Pink Rose

Female Number of posts : 155
Tell us about yourself : A pregnant 33 yr old married stay-at-home mum with 2 girls ages 2 & 4. I have exclusively breastfed both of them for the 1st 6 mths. And, I BF my oldest till she was nearly 2 and I am still curranly BFG my youngest. I have never bought any formula or bottles!
Your mood today : Brooding
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Do you think BFG should be celebrated no matter how short? Empty Re: Do you think BFG should be celebrated no matter how short?

Post by kay Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:18 pm

I do think that we should encourage people and give the message to at least try - its better to try and stop, than never to try at all.
On the other hand, I dont see the point in giving the baby the best start, to give up for no apparant reason and switch to formula. If there is a problem, fine, but as for being tired, i would be more tired getting up to make bottles!
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Do you think BFG should be celebrated no matter how short? Empty Re: Do you think BFG should be celebrated no matter how short?

Post by emmiesmummy Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:23 pm

kay wrote:I do think that we should encourage people and give the
message to at least try - its better to try and stop, than never to try
at all.
On the other hand, I dont see the point in giving the baby
the best start, to give up for no apparant reason and switch to
formula. If there is a problem, fine, but as for being tired, i would
be more tired getting up to make bottles!

I quite agree, some is better than none & for some its not
easy but if you think its best for baby why then decide to offer
something infereore at a certain age, dont you want them to have the
best for as long as you can !!
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Rose Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:19 pm

kay wrote:If there is a problem, fine, but as for being tired, i would be more tired getting up to make bottles!

This woman is in for a shock then isn't she!

I do believe it's good that at least these women have BF to start with but celebrating and jumping up and down every time these women stop after a short period of time for no good reason to celebrate the fact at least they've successfully BF in the 1st place. It worries me a little, b/c if I was this type of woman I guess I would be in a hurry to stop BFG to get celebrated by everyone and get a pat on the back by everyone! And, at the end of the day these type of women don't really care do they? It's like we got to own them or something for BFG their baby. Some thing's not quite 'on' here, do you get my drift?scratch I see this kind of thing an awful lot on other forums.

But anyway that's my personal opinion.
Pink Rose
Pink Rose

Tell us about yourself : A pregnant 33 yr old married stay-at-home mum with 2 girls ages 2 & 4. I have exclusively breastfed both of them for the 1st 6 mths. And, I BF my oldest till she was nearly 2 and I am still curranly BFG my youngest. I have never bought any formula or bottles!

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:51 pm

I totally understand what you are saying, and agree!
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:53 pm

I'm in agreement, myself and 5 mums who did AN classes all attempted to bfed. One stopped after a couple of days as her ds wouldn't latch on despite help from a BFC. One gave up after 3mos because she didn't want to do it anymore, 3 more gave up after 5-6mo, so there is only 2 of us still going. IMHO the ones who gave up after 5-6mo didn't really need to it was going well but they felt they had done enough.

I must admit I struggle to understant, but hey it's their bodies, their babies and their choice.

But I get where you are coming from, Pink Rose. Maybe if you let your baby self wean after a couple of years you should get a big parade Very Happy

Drusilla

Female Number of posts : 244
Tell us about yourself : People who have kids by more than 3 different men are SLAGS. They don't give a shit about the welfare of their children, otherwise they would be keeping their bloody legs shut and creating a STABLE environment for their kids, either in a stable relationship or as a single mother - because single mothers are perfectly capable of being fantastic parents. If you want to sleep around use some fucking contraception until you are sure your partner is in it for the long haul, it is not fucking difficult. Kids need stability - they don't need a succession of men coming in and out of their life.
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Rose Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:28 am

:blyby1:
Pink Rose
Pink Rose

Back to top Go down

Post by beanie Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:24 am

some women don't get a choice. They may need to go back to work, or may have to go on medication so will have to put their baby on something "inferior". I had both those situations and whilst I was able to be stubborn and refuse to stop breastfeeding so they had to give me medication that was compatible, I did have to intorduce some formula when I returned to work as I found it hard to express. If I had to have stopped I would have felt awful and would have appreciated some "well dones" and reassurance I had done my best, not that I should have continued up to so many months and that it is best to let my baby self wean. As it was I was able to then allow Seren to stop breastfeeding herself at 20 months.

Breastfeeding even for a short period of time provides so many benefits.I would far prefer that babies were recieving some breast milk albeit for a shorter period of time, then the mother thinking "I can't feed them for 6 months so I might as well put them on formula from the start". And I do think any amount of breastfeeding deserves to be celebrated.

I can't see anyone being so desperate for attention that they would finish breastfeeding so they could get a few congratulations from virtual strangers. I would have thought if they wanted attention like that they would get more mileage in every month saying "I managed another month".
beanie
beanie

Female Number of posts : 136
Tell us about yourself : About you:Mummy to a blue eyed Star and a brown eyed Cuddlebug
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:30 am

Good points Beanie!

:welldone:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:37 am

I only breastfed my 1st two for a very short time, i felt i had failed them but i had no support & yes i gave up,i didnt want them on formula but sometimes you have no choice,some of us find it really hard. I wouldnt have stpped however because i just couldnt be bothered anymore. I have only succeded this time because of the support on here or i know the same would have happened. I dont want to be praised as a mother every month but it is nice to mark your achievement especially if like myself it has & still is a big struggle breastfeeding,its great to know there is encouragement there, im not feeding Emily to please anyone here im doing it for me & for Emily but with so many people offering negativity to us & constantly saying stop I think for us to hear now and again 'well done your still going isnt breastfeeding great' is a nice thing. I think thats how most of us on here feel.
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:01 am

I would like to say to anyone thinking of joining the forum looking for support they should know it is here for no matter how long they choose to breastfeed, you dont have to be a co-sleeping , cloth nappied baby wanting to breastfed until they wean mum to join !!
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Rose Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:22 am

I guess some women find BFG easy while others find it hard. I had no support BFG and I didn't have a PC back then when I had my 1st. I think it depends on your character and what a determined strong single stubborn minded person you are. I found BFG a struggle at 1st and I think we all do.

It's the ones that have succeeded BFG, turn up and say they can't be bothered to do it anymore after a short while without any excuse like work or medication. That's fine in a way as they do have the right to stop, but I still honestly don't think it's exactly a cause for a celebration. Of course I support them all the way and congratulation them during their their BFG journey, but I wouldn't be going "Yippee!" at the end I would rather say it while they are BFG to encourage them to spur themselves on.
Pink Rose
Pink Rose

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:55 am

Pink Rose wrote:I guess some women find BFG easy while others find it hard. I had no support BFG and I didn't have a PC back then when I had
It's the ones that have succeeded BFG, turn up and say they can't be bothered to do it anymore after a short while without any excuse like work or medication. That's fine in a way as they do have the right to stop, but I still honestly don't think it's exactly a cause for a celebration. Of course I support them all the way and congratulation them during their their BFG journey, but I wouldn't be going "Yippee!" at the end I would rather say it while they are BFG to encourage them to spur themselves on.

I know my friend found breastfeeding very easy & stopped at just a few weeks as she missed going out and having fun ,a drink etc... i was really annoyed with her and felt she was being very selfish but it was her choice
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:18 pm

emmiesmummy wrote:I would like to say to anyone thinking of joining the forum looking for support they should know it is here for no matter how long they choose to breastfeed, you dont have to be a co-sleeping , cloth nappied baby wanting to breastfed until they wean mum to join !!

totally agree Jane :aww:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Rose Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:35 pm

emmiesmummy wrote:I know my friend found breastfeeding very easy & stopped at just a few weeks as she missed going out and having fun ,a drink etc... i was really annoyed with her and felt she was being very selfish but it was her choice

I sadly too had met many mums like that and one of them even came up to me boasting that she could go out and stuff like that and saying that I was the sad one BFG and stuck at home!Shocked

It annoys me that the ones that found BFG easy can easily throw it away just as easy too. It's like the novelty worn off for them b/c BFG is no longer a curiosity for them.:break: But at the end of the day, if they want to stop, then of course, they can b/c it's none of my business - no hard feelings.Rolling Eyes
Pink Rose
Pink Rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:43 pm

Hear, hear Jane!

Let's face it we need all the help we can get.

I would like to say that I hate it when people say they failed at breastfeeding. They didn't fail, it is more likely that others failed them by not giving them the support they needed!!

They are still doing a grand job of raising their babies - after all there is more to raising a child than feeding it!

But back to Pink Rose's original point, it is interesting contrast that people are praised for bfing for a few months (which IMO is a good thing) but when someone is breastfeeding for years, it's less a cause of celebration than it is a source of negativity. :iconsad:

Drusilla

Female Number of posts : 244
Tell us about yourself : People who have kids by more than 3 different men are SLAGS. They don't give a shit about the welfare of their children, otherwise they would be keeping their bloody legs shut and creating a STABLE environment for their kids, either in a stable relationship or as a single mother - because single mothers are perfectly capable of being fantastic parents. If you want to sleep around use some fucking contraception until you are sure your partner is in it for the long haul, it is not fucking difficult. Kids need stability - they don't need a succession of men coming in and out of their life.
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down