Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

please help me I'm afraid breastfeeding is coming to an end

4 posters

Go down

please help me I'm afraid breastfeeding is coming to an end Empty please help me I'm afraid breastfeeding is coming to an end

Post by gemma Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:42 pm

Hi, thanks for activating my account, Im Gemma, I have a little boy called Kurt who is 6 weeks old. I don't know where to start I have been having so many problems. I am starting to think that my breastfeeding experience is coming to an end so soon and I really don't want it to. The last couple of weeks I have had lots of feeding problems, Kurt has been fussing at the breast, crying, bobbing on and off, squirming and pushing away from me but still with his mouth open trying to latch on. Because of this I have had to give him formula but still tried to give some breast feeds. It turns out it was because of reflux and the doctor has given infant gaviscon for him to take but now I fear he has got too used to a bottle and there is no turning back. He still latches on and suckles for a while then starts thrashing his head about with my nipple still in his mouth and making noises which sound like he is frustrated. I can't remember the last time I managed to give him a full feed, enough to settle him to sleep for any length of time without resorting to some sort of top up, even if it is only an ounce. Tonight I have tried pumping to bottle feed him that if he is still hungry after a feed but got nothing. Then after over an hour of hand expressing managed to bottle a measly 1oz. Am I kidding myself? Has it already come to an end? I feel so sad about it. Sorry if it has turned into a bit of a long rant :tear:

gemma

Number of posts : 3
Tell us about yourself : first time mother to baby boy Kurt
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

please help me I'm afraid breastfeeding is coming to an end Empty Re: please help me I'm afraid breastfeeding is coming to an end

Post by Kasia80 Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:59 pm

:aww: fist off all: WELCOME to the forum Gemma!

My first suggestion would be to stop offering formula- I know it might sound harsh, but formula is hard on baby's tummy and hard to digest, also it comes out of bottle with no problems. For breast milk baby needs to work for a while, gums and tongue need to massage breast and baby needs to suck.
Natural age of weaning for humans is considered to be between 4 and 6 years and babies under 12 months very rarely self wean- and this is great news hunnie!!!! :aww:

Now ~I have few questions for you, please answer them- it will hel me asses situation and get full picture of whats happening.
What was your little boys birth weight?
What is it now?
How long is he at the breast before fussing starts?
Would you say your let down( its when milk starts to flow fast, you can recognise it happning by either tingling of your nipples, breast- but not always-- or baby swallowing faster and sucking less) is strong? Is he gagging,choking?
Is he starting to fuss after let down is finished?
Do you take a break to burp him every so often?
How his poops look like? I mean when he was mostly breastfed? Green, yellow, pasty, frothy? please think hard on this, lol, and formula will change baby's stools, so period of pure bf is very important.
How often you r offering formula and how many oz is he having per 24 h?
How many breastfeeds is your baby having and for how long can he stay latched on?

Please asnwer this questions and I will get back to you ASAP.
I'm sure other mums will chime in and help you out.
I am so glad you've joined us :aww:
Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

please help me I'm afraid breastfeeding is coming to an end Empty Re: please help me I'm afraid breastfeeding is coming to an end

Post by gemma Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:32 am

Thanks for getting back to me, I have used quote thingy below so I answer all your questions without forgetting any.

Kasia80 wrote:
What was your little boys birth weight?
6lb

Kasia80 wrote:
What is it now?
He was last weighed a week ago and he was 7lb 10oz

Kasia80 wrote:
How long is he at the breast before fussing starts?
At the moment he usually gets fussy within about 10mins of feeding, while I feed the other breast is like a dripping tap so I try switching and he gets another few gulps from that before fussing again. Last night I did manage to feed him for an hour but he still wasn;t satisfied and started crying, rooting for food and sucking on his hand, by this time he was to upset to get him back on the breast.

Kasia80 wrote:
Would you say your let down( its when milk starts to flow fast, you can recognise it happning by either tingling of your nipples, breast- but not always-- or baby swallowing faster and sucking less) is strong? Is he gagging,choking?
This is where I get very confused as I am not sure what let down really is, I don't feel a let down. Before I put him to the breast I often squeeze it first and milk squirts out straight away, sometimes 2 or 3 streams at once. I takes nice big gulps as soon as I put him on but after a couple of minutes I cant hear gulping it is more like suckling iykwim, he never gags or chokes when breastfeeding. I did notice when hand expressing I would only get about half a dozen or so good squirts out then would have to wait a couple of minutes before getting another few squirts.

Kasia80 wrote:
Is he starting to fuss after let down is finished?
As I am unsure of letdown I don;t really know. He takes some nice big drinks at first, then suckles a little then fusses.

Kasia80 wrote:
Do you take a break to burp him every so often?
If he is suckling well I will leave him but if he fusses or lets go of my breast I will try burping him before putting him back to breast

Kasia80 wrote:
How his poops look like? I mean when he was mostly breastfed? Green, yellow, pasty, frothy? please think hard on this, lol, and formula will change baby's stools, so period of pure bf is very important.

When he was getting just breastmilk his poo was quite green and pastey. Now he is getting both is more orange / yellow and more frothy.

Kasia80 wrote:
How often you r offering formula and how many oz is he having per 24 h?

At the moment I am ashamed to say he is getting a top up of formula after almost every feed. I would say about 10 - 12 oz per 24hrs. Sad

Kasia80 wrote:
How many breastfeeds is your baby having and for how long can he stay latched on?
I always try breastfeeding him first. It does vary day to day but I would say a minimum of 10 times a day. He will stay on for any amount of time from 5mins up to over an hour at one time, it makes no difference how long he manages to stay on for he wont settle either way and roots about for food eventually working himself upto to fever pitch crying, this makes me cry and we have a little crying competition lol

I really hope my answers may give you some idea of whats going on for us at the moment and maybe you will be able to spot whats going so horribly wrong.

Thanks ever so much, hugs to you too x

gemma

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:32 am

cheers Welcome to the forum & thank goodness you found us as it sounds like you need some support. I know at the moment it all seems quite hopeless & im sure your worried your baby is going hungry if it doesnt get the 'top ups' but rest assured every mum on this site has had this happen to them. Katie will come back to you with a plan of action to follow which if you follow you will back on track in no time at all. Its hard for people to understand that babies dont just natural go onto breast as it shows in the books theres a bit of working out to do with both mum & babe but keep with it and it will happen ,you do need to stop the formula though as baby will learn he can get this easier & fuss till this is offered & the only reason babies go longer between feeds with formula isnt because its more filling its because their little tummys cant digest it so it takes a long time for it to work through. Another thing to ask your health visitor/doc about is milk reflux,some babies who cry alot need a baby type gaviscon,again Katie or one of the others will have a better idea if it may be this. And when Emily was this age i was permantley on the sofa feeding,get comfy ,have liquids for you near by & make the most of it & watch some tv,read a book or just rest.
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:52 am

hi, welcome to the forum :aww: hope you get things worked out :aww: youve been given some good advice and im sure katie will be along with some more answers soon x
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:20 pm

Hi Ladies, thanks for replying, he is already taking gaviscon for reflux, I did say in my earlier post that he never chokes and coughs when breastfeeding but he did while feeding about 4am, maybe he forgot to swallow lol.

I have had so much conflicting advice couple this with a partner that says I have already given him a good start and there is nothing wrong with giving up breastfeeding (he is always saying give him a bottle he is hungry GRRRRR)

The health visitor says everything is going well so to continue as I am going - easy for her to say when it is not her sat up half the night with a frustrated baby trying to feed!

I phoned a breastfeeding helpline and their opinion was that he has nipple confusion and told me to breastfeed and offer top ups with a cup or spoon. I am not sure how to cup feed a 6 week old baby.

Other people have told me to cut out the formula competely and leaves me with a hungry crying baby.

I am at my wits end, I wish I knew for sure what the problem was and then I could take steps to combat it.

Thanks again

Gemma x

gemma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down