Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help (again)

+5
Drusilla
emmiesmummy
Natasha
clairelana
claireea
9 posters

Go down

help (again) Empty help (again)

Post by claireea Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:36 am

Louise is on three meals a day and snacks but still demands to be breast fed at least 8 times in 24 hours ( including about 3 at night ) What am i doing wrong? Please help i feel like i am getting it so wrong, i have enjoyed bf although it has had it's up's and downs but am now begining to wish i had never done it please help x

claireea

Number of posts : 37
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

help (again) Empty Re: help (again)

Post by clairelana Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:07 am

Not much help here as were doing pretty much the same as you. Just to let you know your not alone.

Were also trying to cut down on the BF's in the day time.
I'm currently giving 3 meals a day, i'm not sure how many times she BF's she just snaks whenever she wants to. I'm starting by trying to get more of a routine. I might start to give more snaks too.

Claire
clairelana
clairelana

Female Number of posts : 618
Tell us about yourself : About you: I'm 27 married for 2 years and have two littles angels. Lana 2 years and Kaydi 7 months.
Your mood today : Happy
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:10 am

To be honest your not doing anything wrong!

Shes at an important growth stage in her development and will require more breastmilk.

Breastmilk is still the most important part of her diet, more so than food.

Food up until the age of one is just to experiment with and taste, not to substitue all of her milk feeds.

I suggest that you eat more porrige oats, flap jacks anything with Oats in as it helps make your milk more filling. Lots of women notice a difference when they do this.

I know its very tiering, I do remember being at your stage and thinking....... WHY???!! im tierd! I want my boobs back! I want ME time!

But that quickly went Very Happy

By around 8/9 months lots of babies miss out feeds and start to take more of an interest in food and not so much in boob and you tend to start to get abit of a break for awhile.

Some babies dont though, usualy the ones who are not interested in food at all.

Your little one is normal, what you experiencing is normal.

If you could get someone to watch her for an hour or so then you can have abit of you time, it will help.

She loves her Mummy milk, and before you know it you'll be wondering where the time went :boob:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:21 am

Emily is now a year old & still has as many boobie feeds as she did as a newborn.Shes not overly fussed on having huge amounts of solids & i never manage 3 meals with snacks!! I have worried that she needs to have less boobie & increase her meals but i also take her lead & decided that she is happy so really the only problem is that she isnt 'conforming to the norm'
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:30 am

Jane its common that boobie babies and even formula fed babies are not interested in food until way after one.

Im sure Katies Maya wasn't really interested in food for along time and is still having lots of booby feeds.

All children are different, but to be honest the more I read about it the more its 50/50, one half are very interested in solids (Olivia was and still is) and the other half still want more booby milk.

But that is fine, shes getting enough from you and your providing her with a fantastic diet.

Its her 'norm' :boob:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:32 am

There is always a big thing made about how much a child eats solids wise (mainly from health care professionals in genral) when actualy if they are thriving from what ever milk source they are getting there isn't a problem.

My next child may not want food like Olivia and I may be breastfeeding exculsively for longer Very Happy

All are different
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by claireea Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:39 am

how about the night feeds though? I never thought she would still demand these, i am due back at work in 8 weeks and am gonna need more sleep than i am getting, thanks for the replys so far x

claireea

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:57 am

Yes Olivia was still demanding night feeds at that age.

Again its normal, but in another 2 months time she may go for longer but even formula babies are the same.

Its down to the individual child, but its definatly normal.

Like I have suggested before if you try and eat oats to make your milk abit more filling she may go longer.

Are you co sleeping? I found this helped as Olivia fed most at night than in the day around that age.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by claireea Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:47 am

we are not co sleeping as my husband is a smoker and a heavy sleeper so i would not sleep for worrying! Also i didn't want her to get used to being in my bed.

claireea

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:20 pm

Yes I understand that :aww:

Then the only thing I can suggest is trying to make your milk more filling.

I have read some mums give later suppers before the night feeds start, but its not really recommended they have anything too heavy on their little tummies before bed.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:57 pm

Milk should be the main source of nutrition until they are one, and you should be aiming for baby to have 3 meals and snacks by the time they are one, so it sounds like she is eating plenty!

I'm afraid that solids do not necessarily result in sleeping through!

There is a growth spurt around 6-7 months, is she also becoming more active?

You are doing everything right, this won't last forever and it will pass! Keep up the good work Smile

Drusilla

Female Number of posts : 244
Tell us about yourself : People who have kids by more than 3 different men are SLAGS. They don't give a shit about the welfare of their children, otherwise they would be keeping their bloody legs shut and creating a STABLE environment for their kids, either in a stable relationship or as a single mother - because single mothers are perfectly capable of being fantastic parents. If you want to sleep around use some fucking contraception until you are sure your partner is in it for the long haul, it is not fucking difficult. Kids need stability - they don't need a succession of men coming in and out of their life.
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:25 pm

Aww hun I remember the 6/7 month mark being hard... You're doing everything right... It does pass promise. :bighug:
Squiglet
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by claireea Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:55 pm

thanks again to you all i was just having a few bad days (again) but we are back on track now. Don't think she will ever sleep through though. Will just have to get used to it!

claireea

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:57 pm

:aww:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by toriaaaaTRASH Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:36 pm

Caitlyn is still feeding 4-8 times at night and I'm getting exhausted!! Lets hope they sleep better soon Sad
toriaaaaTRASH
toriaaaaTRASH

Female Number of posts : 124
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to a princess.
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:10 pm

Bethany has dropped her day feeds now all by herself but still feeds 3 or 4 times a night still. Its all normal and you are doing nothing wrong. Btw my mil never breastfed my husband or his sister and they never slept through till they were 5 - so the 'magic' (not!) formula that people say help babies to sleep through wasnt much good at getting them to sleep Laughing
Helen
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by toriaaaaTRASH Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:16 pm

In my honest opinion, formula doesn't get babies to sleep more, over-feeding them formula does. If your belly was expanded to the size of a truck full of food you'd sleep for days. Laughing
toriaaaaTRASH
toriaaaaTRASH

Female Number of posts : 124
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to a princess.
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:29 pm

toriaaaaTRASH wrote:In my honest opinion, formula doesn't get babies to sleep more, over-feeding them formula does. If your belly was expanded to the size of a truck full of food you'd sleep for days. Laughing

very true Laughing
Helen
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:28 am

emmiesmummy wrote:Emily is now a year old & still has as many boobie feeds as she did as a newborn.Shes not overly fussed on having huge amounts of solids & i never manage 3 meals with snacks!! I have worried that she needs to have less boobie & increase her meals but i also take her lead & decided that she is happy so really the only problem is that she isnt 'conforming to the norm'

we are exactly the same!
Corey snacks on bits of food, but he'd much rather have booby! and do you know what? I wouldnt change it for the world! Very Happy

My FF kids slept worse than Corey does, but i think part of it is because although i co-slept with them all, I had to get up to make bottles in the night, where as now i lie there and Corey helps himself, so i dont feel like ive had an undisturbed night, if that makes sense.
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum