Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

re-lactation

+8
kay
Helen
jools
angpixi
toriaaaaTRASH
Mervs Mum
Kasia80
rafwife
12 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

re-lactation - Page 4 Empty Re: re-lactation

Post by jools Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 pm

That is so brilliant I agree you should be so proud! cheers :aww:
jools
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by rafwife Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:50 pm

Well, since Friday we've used a total of three formula bottles which is a huge improvement! Smile She's also nursing from both sides now.

I have a question though. The BFing counsellor said she'd feed for about 30mins, but she doesn't. She feeds pretty much constantly. She's also become reaaly clingy sinjce I started BFing, and doesn't want to be put down. She;ll happily fall asleep next to me, on the boob, when I'm holding her, etc but if I try to put her down she'll wake up and cry. Is this all normal?

Also, when will I start getting these BFing feelings I keep hearing about? Right now I have no idea about things like if she's feeding properly, if my boobs are full, if she's had enough, etc. I take it I'll get used to this after awhile?

I've tried her without nipple shields too and it was back to square one, so it will be interesting to see how we wean her off them.

rafwife

Number of posts : 31
Tell us about yourself : first time mum
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by toriaaaaTRASH Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:52 pm

I don't get BF "feelings" I just judge by how much she poos and what they're like x
toriaaaaTRASH
toriaaaaTRASH

Female Number of posts : 124
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to a princess.
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Thought I'd pop on to see how you are doing and I honestly whooped with delight!!

You should be so proud of yourself for your grit and determination - it shows that most BF problems can be overcome with time patience and a positive attitude.

Well done you!!!

cheers :cheer: cheers :cheer: cheers :cheer:

The other issues such as nipple shield and clingyness will sort themselves out too. She now sees you as a source of food and all she needs so she wants to keep you around. I agree that their poos are the best indicator of successful BF. My DD Breast fed little and often for the first few weeks and cluster fed in the evenings with a longer break in the late eve/early morn. They all establish a pattern but as they develop these patterns change so don't expect a routine for a while. I used nipple shield with my first due to his super suction causing my virgin nipples damage but the transition was not too much of an issue.

Just soooooooooooo happy for you xxx
ldnug
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Mervs Mum Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:08 pm

I think you are going through what any mum would at the start re the length of time she feeds. Hebe would be on fir hours sometimes. She only really got it down to around 30 mins after 6 weeks so its very very early days. Just go with the flow. I dont think i get the feelings - the only thing I get is full boobs in the morning since she doesnt feed at night and a get a tingling if she's not fed for more than 3 hrs.

Dont expect too much too soon - you are doing incredibly well!!!!
Mervs Mum
Mervs Mum

Female Number of posts : 221
Tell us about yourself : Lisa, Mummy to Emily, 14 & Hebe: My Little Pickle...x
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : -1

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:31 am

Wow absolutly amazing!!! you should be sooo proud!!!

Olivia fed every 5 mins - 20 when she was young, i dont think she ever fed for 30 mins.

I agree you are her main source and she wants to be close to mummy, its perfectly normal shes not being clingy as such she just wants to be with you and she knows your there when she wants to be fed.

I agree with Lisa (ldnug) you wont really see a routine like you do with formula, they feed little and often and then usualy have times where they feed more often than other times.

You will start to feel more confident and your ability to feed her, I agree also about poos and wet nappies are a great indicator of this.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:43 pm

Emily never managed 30 mins and as a toddler she eats little and often. My son Connor fed for a solid 20 mins each side from birth and he has hollow legs now.

I do not think blanketly saying that they feed for 30mins is right -- they are all individuals. You will learn her feeding habits through your instincts.

Hope things are still going positively.

Lisa xx
ldnug
ldnug

Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months

Back to top Go down

Post by rafwife Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I thought I would post another update on Niamh.

She's now feeding in different positions, which is great as I can feed her first thing in the morning lying down, and we're both sleeping better for it. I'm still using nipple shields, as she's not managed to come off them yet. I don't mind too much though. She's breastfeeding and that's what counts.

Unfortunately Nimh often feeds for an hour at a time and hasn't gained any weight really (she was losing weight until this week), so she's being monitored. She's also being sick quite often and has had breathing issues since birth. We had a blood test come back yesterday and she tested positive for cystic fibrosis, so we're waiting for more test reults to come back on Friday to help confirm the disgnosis. We're still hoping it comes back negative though, and there is a high chance she's a carrier of the disease and not affected.

rafwife

Back to top Go down

Post by Mervs Mum Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks for the update hun. As you said the main thing is you are giving her the best you possibly can and you have worked so hard, you really should be very proud.

I met a colleague for coffee last friday who I didnt know had been following this thread but not posting; she asked straight away if I knew how you were doing. She said she was willing Niamh to BF so when I told her from what I knew you were doing well she was thrilled for you.....even complete strangers admire your determination.

Let us know when you get her test results wont you. :bighug:
Mervs Mum
Mervs Mum

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:04 pm

Great news regarding the :boob: you must be so pleased.
:aww: Hope next results come back favourably x
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:44 pm

:aww: Well done with the breastfeeding

Its quite normal to loose weight when they have been on formula as formula puts on extra weight so to speak, so this week she should then start gaining more, it will take time but she will.

Breastmilk is very easy for them to digest which is why she will feed for so long and also because shes trying to build your supply up, but your doing very well :aww:

Let us know when you get the results hun :aww:

Last edited by Natasha on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:47 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : missed bits!)
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:46 pm

:aww: good luck with the results, and amazing results with the feeding!

Well done :bighug:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by rafwife Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:36 am

Thanks girls, I never thought that switching back to BFing could affect her weight.

So far it's been:

birth: 7lbs 11.5 oz
week 1: 7lbs 5oz
week 2: 8lbs 2oz
weeks 3: 8lbs
week 4: 8lbs 4oz

She's in the 2nd percentile at the minute, so not great but it could be worse.

Mervs Mum, that is so lovely and nearly made me blub reading that. I can't believe how supportive people are. I feel so lucky.

rafwife

Back to top Go down

Post by rafwife Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:54 am

I've posted some pictures of Niamh in the gallery Smile

rafwife

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:49 am

I don't know if you have seen one or have one yet.

But here is a breastfed babies weight chart (what you should use now) as the charts in the red books usualy are based on a baby who is formula fed.

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com/breastfeeding-and-nutrition-f24/growth-charts-for-breastfed-babies-t200.htm

:aww:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Mervs Mum Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:19 am

Natasha wrote:I don't know if you have seen one or have one yet.

But here is a breastfed babies weight chart (what you should use now) as the charts in the red books usualy are based on a baby who is formula fed.

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com/breastfeeding-and-nutrition-f24/growth-charts-for-breastfed-babies-t200.htm

:aww:

The MW who I help do the BFing session at my local Parent Craft was saying that they are pushing fot them to use the seperate BFd growth chart in the red books. I think HVs in general are very poor when it comes to BFing advice Sad
Mervs Mum
Mervs Mum

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:36 am

Yes, it seems to happen that way.

The HVs I had knew nothing really about it, but the breastfeeding worker there at the center knew about them but didn't get the hvs to use them? scratch

My new HV where I live breastfed her children upto the age of 2 and there alot of breastfeeding mums on Solihull compaired to Birmingham.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by clairelana Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:39 am

My HV didn't give me a BF chart. When we saw the pead she went mad at her and sent her for one. Felt a bit bad for her really.
I didn't even know they existed till then.
clairelana
clairelana

Female Number of posts : 618
Tell us about yourself : About you: I'm 27 married for 2 years and have two littles angels. Lana 2 years and Kaydi 7 months.
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Mervs Mum Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:01 am

I was at a postnatal support group yesterday with the HVs. I was really chuffed to see the vast majority of mums BFing! But when one new mum asked if she could give a rusk as her baby was hungry, the HV just said no but didnt give any advice on trying to improve her milk, say by eating differently.....very disappointing....
Mervs Mum
Mervs Mum

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:46 am

I suppose its down to their own training and whether they are really interested?

The one I spoke to recently (since moving to the area) she knew exactly what she was on about because she had done it and I am sure that knowledge has been passed on throughout the centre she runs.

I thought that they were trained though on support and encouraging breastfeeding? or is it optional for them?

Oooo so rafwife hun, taking over your thread! :aww:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by rafwife Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:53 am

Nooo it's interesting to see what happens in different areas. Thankfully up here they were incredibly supportive and I had people coming to my house 3 times a week to help me feed but they said they would come every feed if need be. I don't know how I would have managed without them.

rafwife

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:45 pm

I am so pleased you have that kind of support, it would be great if it were more consistent through out the country.

If you print that growth chart then stickt hat in your red book, she should start following that line rather than the other one.

Though by 4/5 months Oli was a right booby monster and was well over Razz
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:32 pm

:aww: Really please for you and well doen to the health professionals giving you so much support.

My LO Emily was always 2nd centile and I told my HV I was not interested as it was based on formula. She is still small now - as long as she gains weigh each week that is good enough I feel?!
ldnug
ldnug

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:08 am

How are things going ,are you still making progress.
Hope all went well with Niamh's results too. :aww:
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content