Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is she self weaning? - Updated 25/2/09

5 posters

Go down

Is she self weaning? - Updated 25/2/09 Empty Is she self weaning? - Updated 25/2/09

Post by happy_chick Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:06 am

UPDATE 25/02/09

Well I decided not to 'offer' breast in the evening & only give it her if she asks for it, shes not asked for it for the past 2 nights (as I expected) so we're down to just our morning breastfeed
Smile I'm making sure I enjoy every feed from now just incase she decides she no longer needs morning boobie too. Im a little emotional and it feels really strange not feeding her at night after doing it for 13 months but I also feel really proud of her as shes growing independant & has made the decision to stop her bedtime one herself.

Thanks for your advice ladies xx
:boob:

---------------------------------------------------

UPDATE - Advice Wanted (22/02/09)

Its becoming really difficult to get Ellie to have any breast in the evening, she will have a few sucks & happily stay there for 3-5mins but then after that she decides she doesnt want to feed and wriggles until she's put down/gets down. Its getting to a point where its feeling like a task to get her to have a breastfeed in the evening.She still LOVES her morning feed and feeds for a good while then so we dont have any problems there.

Shes definately self weaning & shes totally loosing interest in breastfeeding on the whole. I always imagined that i'd encourage her to self wean as i wanted to stop but it seems shes doing it all on her own & i'm so happy about that! I'm gunna miss breastfeeding soooo much and I honestly cant imagine life without 'boob' but i'm also looking forward to having my body back for a bit!

When Ellie is tired and wants to go to bed she picks up her pillow (comforter) and takes it to the baby gate ready to be taken to bed so its as though she doesnt really mind not having boob. I'm wondering when I should stop offering the bedtime boob? Should I stop offering it & just give it her if she asks? Also is it realistic that my supply will be ok to continue with morning feed after she drops bedtime one?

Any input would be appreciated!

:boob: Thanks! flower

------------------------------------------------------------

Grr ive just wrote a big long post then deleted it! :iconsad:

Ellie was feeding 4-5 times a day around a month ago, this has gradually dropped down to 2 feeds since her learning to go to sleep on her own and not using boob. She has now started loosing interest in her bedtime feed, she does feed and takes some milk but she doesnt seem as interested as she used to and I have to pursuade her to feed rather than her just feeding. She does however LOVE her morning feed and really enjoys that one.

Does this sound like she's self weaning? She seems to be loosing interest in each feed gradually. Im quite upset at the thought of her just stopping breastfeeding, im gunna make the most of every feed from now on Very Happy

I thought that usually babies self wean quite alot later than 1 year but I know all babies vary which is why i'm asking? How long do they normally take to completely wean off (so i can prepare myself if she does) and should I just keep offering and follow her lead?

Sorry so many questions!!!
Thanks xx

:boob: :boob: :boob:

Last edited by happy_chick on Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:32 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated)
happy_chick
happy_chick

Female Number of posts : 115
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Back to top Go down

Is she self weaning? - Updated 25/2/09 Empty Re: Is she self weaning? - Updated 25/2/09

Post by Kasia80 Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:16 am

It could be just a phase also. Is she into new skills? Is there a lot of new things happening?

Maya went thru stage like this few times. I just made sure to offer and not feel hurt when she refused :aww:
Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Is she self weaning? - Updated 25/2/09 Empty Re: Is she self weaning? - Updated 25/2/09

Post by happy_chick Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:19 am

Kasia80 wrote:It could be just a phase also. Is she into new skills? Is there a lot of new things happening?

Maya went thru stage like this few times. I just made sure to offer and not feel hurt when she refused :aww:

Thanks for your reply. There arent lots of new things happening really, it seems more since she's learnt to go to sleep on her own she doesnt NEED breast to help her sleep sorta thing? I will keep offering to her & see what happens but I just thought with her dropping a few feeds already and now shes loosing interest with another that she may stop that too. xx
happy_chick
happy_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:43 pm

This sounds like what Brody did at around 14 months. By about 15/16 months he was only having his bedtime boob which gradually got shorter and shorter until he just decided he wanted to get straight into his cot at 19 months.
I did keep trying to offer it for a while, as Katie said at the times he would usually want it but he just wasn't interested.
jools
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:35 pm

Emily did this at just over 13 months - she refused bedtime boobie and was happy to just go to bed. Did persevere for a while but it was obviously time for her.
ldnug
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by happy_chick Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:39 pm

Thanks for your replies girls, it sounds like shes beginning to wean which is what i thought. I'm happy as long as its what she wants, will just keep offering as normal and see how we go Smile I think it will be a while yet anyway before she stops completely but im gunna appreciate her feeding so much more now as I think i've been taking it for granted recently!

x x x
happy_chick
happy_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by happy_chick Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:07 pm

UPDATED IN FIRST POST x
happy_chick
happy_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:18 pm

I would say that you should offer it for a while but just let her take the lead.

It is good that she likes the morning boobie and this should be given as long as she wants it.

You should use your own instincts xx
ldnug
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by happy_chick Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:21 pm

ldnug wrote:I would say that you should offer it for a while but just let her take the lead.

It is good that she likes the morning boobie and this should be given as long as she wants it.

You should use your own instincts xx

Thanks for reply Smile

Have just added to first post that when shes tired she picks up her comforter and takes it to the baby gate ready to be taken to bed so its as though she doesnt really mind not having boob, thats the thing thats making me think maybe she doesnt want it at all in the evening? x
happy_chick
happy_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:05 am

Follow her lead hun, it's the best way for BLW. Like Lisa said, continue to offer / make sure she knows its available, but follow her lead.

Your supply will adjust to her feeding pattern - your body will soon learn that she is just feeding in the morning, though you might be a bit leaky in the eveings for a couple of days!

I love your attitude to her self weaning - this is how i hope to be when Corey decides to wean :aww:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by happy_chick Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:12 am

Thanks hun Smile

Ive decided to let her have her feed in the evening if she asks for it but not worry if she doesnt. It become a battle and I dont want it to be like that for either of us, she clearly doesnt have an interest most nights so will just let her take the lead now.

When i fed her this morning I couldnt stop watching her! I cant imagine her not feeding but I'm also very very proud that my little baby girl is growing up and becoming independent!

Thanks girls, will keep you informed & i'm sure i'll be back soon enough! Smile x
happy_chick
happy_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down