Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Excessive waking at night!!!

3 posters

Go down

topic2 Excessive waking at night!!!

Post by Rachel Fri May 08, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi everyone,
Just wondered if anyone had experienced what we are doing at the moment with DD. Am going a bit crazy!!!! :help:
Evie has always woken 3 times a night for a feed...which I am fine with, but just this week she has started waking every two hours...it's like BFing a newborn! She has cut her first tooth this week so I am hoping that this may be the cause and she will stop doing it soon( until the next tooth that is!) but the only way to pacify her is to feed her. Am I making a rod for my own back??? Both my DH and mother think I shouldn't always :boob: because she is going to think she will always be fed back to sleep. I, on the other hand, being very sleep-deprived, think if it stops her whining and gets her back to sleep then it is O.K.
Last night she fed at 9pm after only going to bed at 7, went back down at 9.20 and then was awake again an hour later...she can't possibly be hungry!! After ignoring her for a bit she started to get really distressed...I just want to give in but DH thinks she is just doing it for attention :iconsad: . When she ended up getting really distressed I did pick her up to feed...and she shut up immediately and fell asleep.
Is this a common thing when they reach 6 months...to suddenly wake up more? Is it just teething?
Am going crazy...and getting short-tempered with DS who I shouted at this morning and then felt terrible for :iconredface: ! Need more sleep Sleep
Rachel
Rachel

Female Number of posts : 50
Tell us about yourself : Mum of two, Oli 4 yrs ( breastfed for 18 months) and Evie 16 months old and still going strong.
Primary teacher and married to a secondary teacher and a wonderful hubby who completely supports me in breastfeeding.
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

topic2 Re: Excessive waking at night!!!

Post by gingerpig Sat May 09, 2009 8:06 am

Ah bless you - that phase is so exhausting and so common! I remember as a kind of dream the period between 4 and 6 months, which was the ONLY time Debs (now 2) slept through. Children just dont lol. At 6 months there is so much going on developmentally which means they need extra milk to fuel it. Plus suckling can really help with the pain, and of course its really comforting to have your mum there when you are in a pain. Have you tried calgel and things like that? Its really hard! If she doesn't already, could she co-sleep until this phase stops - makes it much less tiring for you! Big hugs it is awful!

gingerpig

Female Number of posts : 38
Tell us about yourself : I'm 38 and a SAHM. My daughter was born 10th Feb 2007 and my son born 28th Jan 2009. I am tandem feeding them and am a breast feedinghelper with the BfN. I had big problems feeding DD at first, but now it couldn't be going better Smile
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://gingerpiggy.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Sat May 09, 2009 1:24 pm

sound like a growth spurt to me, nothing against your dh but babies of that age have no concept of 'doing it for attention'
the extra feeding will be her way of building your milk suppy up to satisfy her extra needs. its a very common thing most of the girls on here will tell you! i think thers a thread somewhere explaining the different ages of growth spurts.
also there is the teething thing too the best comfort for them is to bf.
it will get easier when the spurt settles down, hope you get some sleep soon :aww:
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down