Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weaning?

3 posters

Go down

Weaning? Empty Weaning?

Post by TashaAndBump Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:16 pm

I have to get Anna off the boob. Since finding out that I am pregnant with twins the idea of tandem feeding has gone out of the window - I don't have three nipples unfortunately! Laughing

The question is how do I go about it? It would feel so unnatural saying "no" to her when she wants her milky cuddle... which to be honest is only really at bed times now. I wonder if I should just let her wean herself as that would surely be less stressful for both of us than me turning her down and letting her cry. But I really want her weaned quite early on in this pregnancy - I want her to have forgotten all about it before the twins come along - so that she doesn't resent them for getting the breast when she doesn't. Does any of that make sense?

Part of me feels that just cutting it off would be the best option... as then she would surely soon learn that no means no and she can have a bottle if she wants - surely it wouldn't take more than a couple of days without the breast for her to stop asking for it? But those days would be really stressful and distressing for her, and I don't want that to be the way her experience of being breastfed ends.

Is she really likely to stop on her own any time soon? Is it worth waiting out for her and following her lead just a little bit longer? Part of me wants her off the boob in good time (within the next 2 months) but the other part of me feels so unnatural not following her lead. I've just followed her lead on pretty much everything so far and it has worked out pretty well to be honest!

The other thing is, I feel pretty down about stopping so soon Sad It does feel a little premature. I know the benefits of breastfeeding are so strong right up until 2 years and beyond... Anna is only 15 months old - she still seems like my baby and I know she still gets so much (emotionally, nutritionally and for her immune system...) from my milk. I feel a bit like we're being pushed towards this, but don't really feel we have much of an option. I can't breastfeed three babies, and my husband will be working full time... I'll be alone with three babies under the age of two - I need Anna to grow up a little bit and be a bit more independent by the time they come along, and I think if Anna is off the boob then that might help with that? I could be completely wrong of course!

Sorry I've completely rambled on now! Any advice greatly appreciated!
TashaAndBump
TashaAndBump

Female Number of posts : 121
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Anna (17 months old) Pregnant with identical twins! Smile

Due 29th January - Can't wait to breastfeed babies 2 and 3 :-) Anna stopped breastfeeding at 16 months 2 weeks.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Weaning? Empty Re: Weaning?

Post by emmiesmummy Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:24 pm

:aww: Tough decision to make but my personal view is that if shes only really having nightime milk shes self weaning anyway, and theres now way anyone would expect you to cope trying to :boob: 3 little ones at once, my goodness you would nevr leave the sofa & be completely knackered & then no use to any of them.
Is it worth offering a little less milk time bit by bit & maybe start getting her used to daddy giving final cuddle & putting to bed,then she could keep this going (daddy cuddles & put to bed) when new babies arrive as well you will have your arms full ...literally !!!!
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:48 pm

I fully understand your thoughts / concerns - I am struggling a little now with coreys teeth after his accident, but he is still wanting regular feeds day and night.

I think you are well on the right track with it only being a bedtime feed now, and i FULLY understand why you want to do this - i would be the same! I wouldnt go 'cold turkey' for your sake or hers, but as Jane said, offer a little less, involve daddy more if possible, maybe try a mummy cuddle with a beaker of milk and a little story before she asks for boobies?
I think 2 months is realistic for gradual weaning from the stage she is at now hun :aww:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by TashaAndBump Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:33 pm

Thanks girls... It seems she is on to me and knows my thoughts about weaning! Last night she just wanted to suck and suck all night and today she was not happy about being offered a beaker before booby! She practically waved her arms angrily at the cup and threw a hissy fit! But Dom pretended to drink a bit, and then offered it to me and I did the same... then she soon wanted to join in and asked for it Laughing

She had her booby after that and fell straight asleep - has now been in bed for 3 hours so I'd say that went well! Very Happy Hopefully she will soon get into a routine of cuddles, beaker, booby sleep... then hopefully she will just drop the booby bit herself when she gets more confident about the whole thing *fingers crossed*
TashaAndBump
TashaAndBump

Female Number of posts : 121
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Anna (17 months old) Pregnant with identical twins! Smile

Due 29th January - Can't wait to breastfeed babies 2 and 3 :-) Anna stopped breastfeeding at 16 months 2 weeks.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down