Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello

+3
kay
Natasha
Jacquline
7 posters

Go down

topic 9 Hello

Post by Jacquline Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:24 pm

Hi Everyone I am a first time mom, from South Africa, to a Beautiful Baby Boy. I have been breastfeeding him from birth, I had lots of milk and struggled with breastfeeding in the first 6 weeks because my breasts would get full before Baby was hungry, My milk supply settled in the 7th week and it got easier. I never thought Bottle feeding was a option, until the 12 week growth spurt and boy did I have trouble producing enough milk, but I still didn't want to give a bottle. Everyone said my milk is no longer fit for him, I should change to formula. I tried formula for 2 days and Baby did not like it, so back to exclusive breastfeeding I went. Then he had another growth spurt not to long ago, he didn't put on weight and the doctor advised me to give formula with breastfeed, but baby didn't want formula, so I breastfed more often and he is happy as can be. Other people in my family who couldn't breastfeed says I should go on formula, but I refuse, I have tried it, but my boy likes his Boob. My motto is breast is best Hello Icon_flower . I just need someone to talk to who also breastfeed, cause no-one in my town breastfeeds, They either can't or won't. My Baby slept through the night when he was Three months, but now he wakes up evry 2 hours to feed or to be burped or because a wind he needs to pass is hurting him. Don't know what's giving him wind, nothing in my eating habits changed, why is he so windy? Well I will go and explore the rest of the site now. Toodles.
Jacquline
Jacquline

Number of posts : 6
Tell us about yourself : I am 26 and first time mom to a beautiful 4month old baby Boy named Kyle.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2010-01-22

Back to top Go down

topic 9 Re: Hello

Post by Natasha Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:39 pm

Hello 129911 Welcome to the forum!

Oh yes the famous growth spurts! you sound like your doing extremely well.

As for being very windy it could be to do with how long he is on each breast.

Its recommened (as it does work) that you feed from the one side until it is totaly drained so he wont be getting too much 'fore' or more watery milk which can cause tummy upset due to lactose.

The best way to tell if its totaly drained is by keep putting him on the same breast until he refuses it, then comtinue to feed from the other and do the same on that side.

This can help a lot.

If you are already doing this then id suggest looking at different postions to feed him in, and how you feed him when he has the bad wind episodes.

Also another great site for you to look at, sounds like another growth sprut too ;-)

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

When do babies have growth spurts?

Common times for growth spurts are during the first few days at home and around 7-10 days, 2-3 weeks, 4-6 weeks, 3 months, 4 months, 6 months and 9 months (more or less). Babies don't read calendars, however, so your baby may do things differently.
Growth spurts don't stop after the first year - most moms notice growth spurts every few months during the toddler years and periodically thereafter on through the teenage years.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacquline Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:55 pm

Thanx for the reply, He is on the one breast for 5 minutes and then he lets go, he then plays a game I call peek a boob, he takes the nipple quickly lets go and smiles at me, he does this several times before I decide to change to the other side, then he drinks for five minutes and does the same. My breasts also tingles (kinda hurts) when I breastfeed and squirts the milk into his mouth then he lets go and it's milk everywhere! Is there something I can do to make the milk flow out instead of squirt?
Jacquline
Jacquline

Number of posts : 6
Tell us about yourself : I am 26 and first time mom to a beautiful 4month old baby Boy named Kyle.
Registration date : 2010-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:29 pm

HIya and welcome - well done so far! Hello 871924

if he is only staying on for 5 mins on each boob, he probably isnt getting enough hind milk, just more of the thirst quenching fore milk. This could be the reason for the more regular waking, and the windy episodes. Is his poo a bit green? this is one sign of this.

and it sounds like you could have a bit of a fast flow. some women find it helps to express a little off before a feed, especially if it makes baby choke a bit.

sure i'll think of something else in a while!
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:07 pm

The tingle is your let down, if your let down is quite forseful it might be an idea to unlatch when you feel the tingle come and then pop him back on once it has settled.

As Kay has said you need to keep him on the one breast longer than 5 mins, keep going back to that same breast before switiching so you insure he is getting the fattier milk.

Your let down (the tingle and milk squirt) is very normal and as he gets older it wont be so bad.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:29 pm

hi welcome to the forum! Hello 871924
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:19 pm

I was very 'squirty' - with my first baby this ws not such an issue as he was a very strong feeder who latched well and never let go! With my second I experiened the let down much more as she didn't have such a strong suck and she would panic when the milk squirted. I used to hand express into my breast pad just enough to take that pressure away and this really worked.

You are doing really well and hope the advice on here helps xx
ldnug
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by kaygeebee Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:15 pm

Hello and welcome! Hello 950684

kaygeebee

Female Number of posts : 127
Tell us about yourself : mum to a little boy, born August 2009
Your mood today : Bored
Thanks and Reputation points : 4
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:43 pm

hello and welcome to the forum xx
piesmummy2006
piesmummy2006

Female Number of posts : 2089
Tell us about yourself : i would say i am a yummy mummy to Niamh nearly 2 (who i am still breast feeding), and a childrens student nurse!!!!!
Your mood today : Naughty
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum