Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 month growth spurt.... sore nipples

4 posters

Go down

3 month growth spurt.... sore nipples Empty 3 month growth spurt.... sore nipples

Post by Ness Sun May 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Hi

I am currently breastfeeding my 6th baby, Adelaide, even though I have breastfed lots before every baby is different and I am struggling at the moment. She is going through her 3 month growth spurt and has been feeding hourly throughout the day for the past 3 days. She seems to completely drain both boobs and I am wondering if I am making enough for her. She is quite small, weighing 10 lb 14 oz. My right side is fine but my left side is so sore when shes sucking and I am getting into a panic when trying to latch her on. Anyone else go through this? When she comes off I have a compression line across my nipple, its not blanched but is painful??

Any advise welcome.....

Thanks
Ness
Ness

Female Number of posts : 5
Tell us about yourself : I am mum to 6, aged from 18 years down to 3 months Smile I am currently on maternity leave from my job as a Maternity Support Worker.
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

3 month growth spurt.... sore nipples Empty Re: 3 month growth spurt.... sore nipples

Post by indigosky2k Mon May 10, 2010 6:24 am

Don't worry about making enough for her. As long as your putting her to the breast as often as you are, your body will make enough. That's why she is wanting more to prepare your body for the fact she's getting bigger and will need more milk Wink

hug2 for the sore nipples though. Do you have a local lactation consultant who can come and check your latch? Getting back to basics is the best way to go IMO. So if not check out the Kellymom website, my breastfeeding bible Wink These videos are invaluable http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=6&Itemid=13
Try a different position too as if you've got trauma in a particular spot on your nipple DD is just going to irritate it every time she feeds. A different position will put the pressure in a different place IYSWIM. I always found lying down most comfy Smile
Also get the Lanisnoh out and use it after every feed. Give those sore nips some protection Wink
HTH and the soreness eases soon hug2

indigosky2k

Female Number of posts : 182
Tell us about yourself : I'm a SAHM to Kacie aged 10.5 months. I'm very into an AP way of life, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, etc. We're coming up to one year and I'm looking for places where I won't be looked down on for extended breastfeeding. I have no intention of weaning until Kacie wants to. We're also traying to conceive baby no. 2, so really hoping to tandam feed and will be looking for support to do this too.
Your mood today : Sick
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

3 month growth spurt.... sore nipples Empty Re: 3 month growth spurt.... sore nipples

Post by AnnaMat25 Mon May 10, 2010 6:28 am

hello Ness, i had simalar problem with Benjamin he would have 'issues' with the left breast and i got really sore when trying to feed him on it, i tried laying down to feed him on that breast and tried feeding him with the right breast first then pulling it out (with my finger like you do lol) and putting him on my left which really helped cas he latched on properly. Remember the more you feed the more milk you will make (supply and damnd) and no matter if your breast feels like it's empty your baby will still be getting milk, i know it's hard atm when your sore but try to perserveer and maybe put some nipple cream on it to help, l hope it starts to get better but i'd deff say try different positions when feeding her and see if that works/ helps
AnnaMat25
AnnaMat25

Female Number of posts : 259
Tell us about yourself : i'm s mum to 3 children
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2010-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ness Mon May 10, 2010 9:38 pm

Thanks girls, I have been trying to be very careful with the latching today. She is a bit greedy and tends to close her mouth too quickly. I have been taking her off and relatching until I am more comfortable Smile I also dug out the lansinoh and rekindled my love affair with it... great stuff.

Will try feeding her lying down, something I haven't done before. Luckily she sleeps all night so my nips get a nice rest overnight and she has been feeding a bit less today so hopefully my milk supply has increased to satisfy her.

Unfortunately I don't know of any local lactation support, there is a breastfeeding clinic at the local hospital but they are always mad busy with newborns. I went there when she was 9 weeks old and they shoved her on which was great but I left still unable to latch her properly myself Sad Seems really crazy as I have been on countless breastfeeding courses for work and have learn't all the theory ( as well as feeding 5 others before ) but I just can't seem to get it right with her Sad

Annamat strange how you also had issues with just one side, did things improve over time? As I said things are a bit easier today and my little missy has to learn some patience Smile
Ness
Ness

Female Number of posts : 5
Tell us about yourself : I am mum to 6, aged from 18 years down to 3 months Smile I am currently on maternity leave from my job as a Maternity Support Worker.
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Tue May 11, 2010 7:48 am

Ness have you tried the football hold on the side that is uncomfortable?

3 month growth spurt.... sore nipples Ei_0005

Lottie prefers my left side, it feels more comfortable (as right handed) to have my right arm free and I think my LO picks up on this as shes more settled on that side (and its slightly bigger on my left) but I never had this issue with my first, she wasn't fussy.

As long as she is gaining weight, plenty of wet and pooey nappies then there shouldn't be concern with LO other than your sore nipple.

I really recommend giving a different hold a try, every baby is different. Lottie wont fall asleep on my right breast (the one shes not comfortable with) and really fusses on that side when shes going a growth spurt.

Lottie certainly is different compaired to my first child, she is also much more of a booby monster too.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down