Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats wrong with LO's feeding????

+8
angpixi
Helen
rhi'smummy
piesmummy2006
Natasha
emmiesmummy
Kasia80
salocius
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

topic 5 Whats wrong with LO's feeding????

Post by salocius Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:06 pm

When Lo feeds she sometimes just screams at my breast.... What could be wrong???

She is latching on ok so I know that's not the problem.

I took her to the doctors this morning as I thought it could be thrush, she her tongue is white and i've been on antibitocs but the GP says she hasn't got plus my breasts get itchy sometimes when i'm feeding her.OH the GP put it down to colic and told me to use infacol

I hate seeing her upset but other than giving in I don't know what to do

Any ideas?

Her feeding pattern has been all over the place recently too

salocius

Female Number of posts : 98
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Upset
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

topic 5 Re: Whats wrong with LO's feeding????

Post by Kasia80 Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:22 pm

Haven't we've agree on you having oversupply???
this is the reason in my opinion.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by salocius Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:08 am

I've tried changing feeding positions which hasn't really helped much, most of the time we lay down for feeding on the sofa but for some reason can't master it in bed Sad

A friend of mine has suggested tht pergaps she's doing a long growth spurt (its been nearly a week now) and she's seems to be going anything from 1hr to 3hrs during the night where as she was going nearly 6 hours.... during the day she will happily go longer especially i but not if she is comfortable in her rocker (am so tempted to leave her in there during the night but not sure if its good for her back etc)
We've been downstairs for since half five and she's slowly getting settled, I'm knackered but can't fall asleep til she does and i can't be dealing with a grumpy tired husband today either so he is still in bed and fingerscrossed DD1 will stay asleep til 8

salocius

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:40 am

I'm out of doors right now but have read about block feeding: http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/toomuchmilk.html--- its when you feed baby from one breast , then with next feeding put her back to the same one and with following one to second and so on, this article explains it better. Could be growth spurt too plus supply issue.
Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:21 am

:aww: Sorry your still having problems,i feed lying on bed often i just lie on side with my head propped either on arm or pillow let my breast fall naturally on bed then i lie baby near me so heads level with breast and she latches fairly easy,i did sometimes have to express a little first and she would gulp & splutter as milk was fast,i would also have to burp her often in a feed .you could also try having her head at boob with feet toward your head while lying down,feels a bit odd but i found it didnt choke her as much.
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:46 pm

When you feed, the best way I found is too feed on that one breast the whole time, then on the next feed, feed from the same one and then move onto the next breast, this ensures your baby is getting enough hind milk.

She could well be going through a growth spurt, shes at the 6 week growht spurt point, do as I said about the feeding, keep putting her to the breast, so your supply can meet her demands, the fussing is normal, Ihad the same, its very frustrating, but the growth spurts do not last long.

Have you tried a football hold?

Whats wrong with LO's feeding???? Ei_0005
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:19 pm

sorry your still having probs hun :aww: :aww: :aww: like tash suggested the foot ball hold is a good position xx
piesmummy2006
piesmummy2006

Female Number of posts : 2089
Tell us about yourself : i would say i am a yummy mummy to Niamh nearly 2 (who i am still breast feeding), and a childrens student nurse!!!!!
Your mood today : Naughty
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by salocius Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:58 pm

I used to use the rugby ball position when she was first born as that was the only way i could ge her latch on. I think I really need to go back to the basics again and start, Keep to the rugby ball for a while and see how she gets on.

to be honest the fact that i'm so tired doesn't help, usually during the week i can sometimes grab an hour or so in the morning and that usually helps but yesterday was inset day so we were out with DD1 and i never get a chance to sleep at weekends.... I guess this is something i'm going to have to get used to as DD1 will be on summer hols as off Wednesday Sad I've been feeling down for a few days too.

I'm pretty certain that she thrush..... her tongue is white and doesn't dissapear when i put my finger inher mouth and try to wipe it plus the back of her mouth is all white..... GP says she is fine but i'm not convinced...... what do you guys think?

If it is thrush is there anything i can over the counter until i can call my hv monday??

salocius

Back to top Go down

Post by rhi'smummy Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:31 pm

You can get gel from the chemist, although thrush is very obvious, so your doc should know it when he sees it. However it wouldn't hurt giving it to her even if she's not got it, and would put your mind at rest.
Just wondered what you meant by giving in?
salocius wrote:I hate seeing her upset but other than giving in I don't know what to do
Try to remember, this is another phase, it will pass, do whatever you need to do to get through it.
Rhianna spent quite a few nights in her swing, esp when she gets a cold and cant breathe lying down, I think her sleeping in a rocker during the night, which means you get some much needed sleep would be fine, your not going to damage her with the odd night, its mums who leave their babies in car seats for days on end that could cause a problem.
I was talking to some mums of other 18 month olds about how at 6 weeks to 2 months it seems to go on forever, but very soon it will start to get better, just need to get through these long days and nights.
Big hug, and dont forget to go to bed early, sleep while you can
rhi'smummy
rhi'smummy

Female Number of posts : 511
Tell us about yourself : Mum to milk monster Rhianna
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by salocius Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:28 pm

giving the whole breastfeeding up....

i'm sure deep down i don't reallywant to (plus some catty reasons too with family) i think cos i'm so tired i'm not thinking straight. i haven't really been myself for several weeks. i suffered really bad with spd that i could hardly move towards the end. as lo was breech i had planned section and in a way i feel guilty for not giving birh naturally. Plus with dd1 i was pushed out by mother and she basically took over so i do everything myself to prove a point (i guess more to myself then anything)

I don't knowwhy i feel like this considering it took us nearly 2 yrs to concieve her, the fact that she was so longed for ireally want to continue feeding her....

i'm going to watch big brother then go to bed, dd1 is curledup on floor and lo is lying next to me on sofa where she's been since her bathand feed. and dh is out tonight...

hopefully with a good couple of hours sleep i'll feel better

salocius

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:00 pm

whatever your decision is completly up to you hun. you've done brilliant to get so far hun - you should be really proud of yourself for giving all that goodness to your baby girl.

all i'd say though hun is not to make any rash decisions - have a good nights sleep. i no things seem so hard at the minute but i promise you we've all been there. the first few months are by far the most challenging. have you got access to a local breastfeeding group or peer support? theres loads of useful numbers you can ring and some even put you through to a local breastfeeding counsellor:

National Breastfeeding Helpline: 0844 20 909 20

ABM Breastfeeding Helpline: 0844 41 229 49

BfN Breastfeeding Helpline: 0844 41 246 64

:aww:
Helen
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:39 am

Helen wrote:whatever your decision is completly up to you hun. you've done brilliant to get so far hun - you should be really proud of yourself for giving all that goodness to your baby girl.

all i'd say though hun is not to make any rash decisions - have a good nights sleep. i no things seem so hard at the minute but i promise you we've all been there. the first few months are by far the most challenging.
:aww:

Totally agree ,if you look you will see we have all been there, some of us a few times, very few mums find it naturally just happens. This is my 3rd attempt and never thought id go past a couple of weeks. It can be tough especially when lack of sleep is involved , can hubby take kids out to park or something so you can relax have a bath sleep etc for a few hours?

Im not far away if you want to pm me or need to come over . :aww:
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Back to top Go down

Post by rhi'smummy Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:58 pm

We suddenly become experts at guilt as mums. I'm sure most mums feel guilty about some aspect of their birth. I really didn't want an epidural, but ended up having one, but I had a healthy baby and thats most important.
You have done so much and so well at bfing, if you really want to stop then that might be best for you, unfortunately, it might not solve the problems, and I know several mums who did stop and then wished they carried on at least a bit longer. So I'd say give it a really good think, but if you decide its better for you to stop, then admit that and dont feel guilty. Everyone on here would support your decision, no one, except maybe you, would think any less of you.
Do you know any bfing mums in real life? If not then Emmies mummies very thoughtful suggestion could really help you out. I'm not sure how I'd have fared if I hadn't regularly met up with other bfing mums, there was a bfing cafe round the corner from me so I was lucky, but it really helped me feel normal.
Hope last night was better
rhi'smummy
rhi'smummy

Back to top Go down

Post by salocius Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:14 pm

Thanks guys. Last night was so much better. I bathed her about 7.30 with dd1 came downstairs she had a nice long feed i think we went upstairs at 10pm, i put her in her growbag and into my bed. DH put her in moses basket where she stayed til 3am i think. I fed her half asleep as soon as she dosed off DH put her straight back into basket. woke up at 6am. I made dh change her bum as i didn't change her during the night feed whilst i expressed some as my breasts were rock hard, she had a feed then went back down til about 7.30am. DH took her downstairs and i got a lie til about 8.45.. I feel so much better today too.

We usually change her bum and try to feed her at 11pm but last night i just put her down and thought well if she wakes an hour or so later then be it i'd rather her sleep longer than waking every 2 hours as it means a happy mummy and baby.

one friend on bf for a couple of weeks and to be honest she was the one that said maybe i'm better off putting her on formula. Where as another has just given up bf her 9month old and has told me to try and work through it give it another 2 weeks then see how things go. well with all your advice and the later one my target is now to get to 8 weeks.

I think there's a bf cafe in town but can't remember day but when DD1 breaks up from school i'm going to pop in there (it will get us out the house plus it will help)

Emmie mummies i will take you up on the offer. I want to go to box babies thursday so hopefully can meet up there??

Karen

salocius

Back to top Go down

Post by rhi'smummy Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:45 pm

So glad for you, sounds like she slpet well, and so did you. Getting DH to give you a lie in is great, hope it happens regulaly for you.
Good luck and hugs
rhi'smummy
rhi'smummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:40 pm

aww hun sounds like you had a much better night.

Bethany is 7 1/2 month now and has only in the last few days started sleeping over 3 hours without waking at night lol.

Thats good that he took baby down to give you a lie in.

As for the friends who have :boob: . Only 1 of my friends have ever even tried to. And she gave up after 1 day - she is the 1 that said to me when i was having problems in the first week with sleep and stuff that she'll give me one more week then i will be ff her! Made me even more determined to carry on lol.

I havent been to a baby cafe - i have heard there is 1 that i have to get 2 buses to get to but am thinking i will go this week to get me out of the house! lol. that might be good for u hun :aww:
Helen
Helen

Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by salocius Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:03 pm

My sister in law only bf her lo for a few days as she was having problems. most times when i see her she asks how its going if i say i'm struggling she always says that maybe she should have ff, that way she gets to feed lo so does everyone else. This has made me more determined to carry on. I'm a true believer that if a baby is sleep it should be left to sleep not passed around.... this is another thing that gets to them too. Their lo was always passed around and i've seen what a handful he has been.

Last night was ok too she had a bath at 7 then slept til 1am, then 5.30 and 6.30 then at 9.

salocius

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:00 pm

that sounds good feeding pattern for a lo, youre doing great! glad its going better for you :aww: :aww:
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by rhi'smummy Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:16 pm

7 till 1 at 6 weeks old, now I'm jealous. We get that sometimes now, but then I wake up and worry she's stopped breathing!
Long may it last, although now you've told us its bound to change.
rhi'smummy
rhi'smummy

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:47 pm

Im glad things look a little better today :aww:

It does get easier from now on - honestly!

I tried from day 1 to feed Corey lying down in bed, and it suddenly clicked at about 7 or 8 weeks - now its my favourite position.

From what you say , i truly believe you would regret it if you gave up - so keep setting the milestones and we'll be here for you every step (whatever your decisions).

:group hug:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by salocius Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:44 am

I can't believe what a different baby i have at the moment. Yesterday she fed 9am, 11am, 1.30pm, 4.45pm she was still a bit unsettled so DH tried her on oz of expressed milk that i done in the morning to help reduce let down I think she took 1oz. She had a bath at 7pm followed by a feed. We go out on a Monday so she went staight into her carseat where she slept all the way throu got home at 10.30 changed her bum as she was wet so i thought i'd try and see if she wanted a feed, fed for about 5 mins then didn't wake up til 4am... then at 6.30am where she was lying happily in her basket making funny faces at Daddy whilst he got ready for work.

Now i've said this it will probably go tits up knowing my luck.

salocius

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:12 am

lol!

you'll have the odd rough stretch hun - but honestly - you are past the worst :aww:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:16 am

:aww: glad things are looking better,believe me we all get this on & off where you feel you cant cope or worried there isnt enough milk etc...but each time you keep going and when you get through it you feel so amazing & proud of yourself its great cheers So well done & keep up the good work
Jane
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:42 am

Glad things are getting better for you :aww: :aww:
jools
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:04 pm

aw hun i'm so glad things are going so well for you now :aww:
Helen
Helen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next