Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this ok?

+6
Helen
ldnug
Mervs Mum
kay
Natasha
jools
10 posters

Go down

Is this ok? Empty Is this ok?

Post by jools Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:05 am

Well here is my first post in this section cheers

Brody would never co sleep and always wanted his own space so I am a bit clueless Laughing
Colby already is showing all the signs he is going to be the total opposite of his brother Laughing He will not sleep at all in the moses basket or the cot (which has it's side off and pushed up against our bed)
At the moment he is in a vest, sleepsuit and a newborn sleepbag and sleeps in between us on top of the quilt - is this ok?
The 2 nights before this I was trying to feed him then put him back over onto the cot but he is having none of it! Last night while he was in with us was the best night so far cheers

So basically I just wondered is he ok to be in between us or would it be better if he was on my other side?

Told you I was clueless lol!
jools
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Is this ok? Empty Re: Is this ok?

Post by Natasha Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:46 am

:aww: Awww bless him!

Personaly I would only have baby on your side, as your OH could roll over, he doesn't have mother insinct,

I am using a bed guard on my side as I don't have ved up against a wall, but if you have a cot or are up against a wall that fine.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:09 am

You will be more aware of him than Kev is, like Tash said - Mothers instinct.

Corey sleeps on either side - depends which boob i last fed from - but we do have a superking bed, so Dave is well over the other side.
I also have a bed guard up on my side - never even bought a cot lol!

What he is wearing sounds fine, especially if he is sleeping well. Now Corey is older he is under duvet, but generally wriggles out any way lol!

and questions arent silly hun - if you dont know, you ask :aww:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Mervs Mum Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:46 am

I only have Hebe on my side but she only has one feed in bed in the morning so its easier now :boob: wise! I have a crib with it pulled up to the side of the bed now she's too big for the moses.

Keith does forget she's there so it's pretty rare I put her in the middle of us. Smile
Mervs Mum
Mervs Mum

Female Number of posts : 221
Tell us about yourself : Lisa, Mummy to Emily, 14 & Hebe: My Little Pickle...x
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : -1
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:19 pm

Thanks so much you lot I knew I could count on answers from you cheers cheers :aww:
jools
jools

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:19 pm

:aww:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:27 pm

Was just talking about it all to Kev. I think he is upset about him not going in between us bless him Laughing He won't be saying that in a few months lol!
jools
jools

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:12 pm

Agree that mothers side is best.

:aww: Bless Kev!
ldnug
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:54 pm

like the girls have said, having him on your side is probably safest at that age and i always did, i used to make adam move to the other side of the bed when i was changing sides so bethany was still on my side Laughing

But shes 15 month now and even though i have bed guards on both sides of bed i have started putting her in the middle of us because she wakes up in the middle of the night and starts trying to jump over the sides Shocked Laughing

I think its probably safe at 15 month to have her in the middle? i dont think adam is in danger of forgetting shes there cos when she falls asleep she usually turns over and either wraps her leg and arm around adam, or decides to sleep horizontally and kicks his head constantly in the night - strange shes never done that to me :haha:
Helen
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:02 pm

P.S. i am not saying all HV's and MW's are the same but i had to (and still do) take what they say about co-sleeping with a pinch of salt - as well as stuff my inlaws used to say - about how i was putting bethany in danger, co-sleeping is dangerous, she should be in her moses basket, etc. Total crap, if your doing co-sleeping right and following the guidlines then i think thats the best cos baby wants to be close to mummy.

And i read somewhere (dont no if it was on here) when we first started co-sleeping that the statistics on fatalities from co-sleeping are always based on co-sleeping is done incorrectly and there isnt any statistics for when it is done correctly. And that in countries were co-sleeping is the norm then cot deaths from co-sleeping are practically zero, and its safer than baby sleeping alone. It was when bethany was a small baby that i read all that so it might not be exact but you get the gist lmao. All i'm saying is i think a deaf hear is needed sometimes cos no matter how much u try and tell some people the positives (when they are saying the negatives) they just wont have it Mad

Last edited by Helen on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)
Helen
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:39 am

Thanks so much for all that Very Happy :aww:

I tend to close my ears to most thing HV's say anyway :wm: :iconredface:
jools
jools

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:44 pm

i think the same as the others this week av been out to the homes with the new mothers, i have to sit and listen to the go on and on about how dangerus it is to co sleep and that you mut never ever do it!!! then there is me sat there who did it from day one when they say they want to and baby settles better my heart breaks as i really wanna say the safe ways to do so but i will get bolocked!!! :iconsad:

anyway i put niamh at the side but then again james moved in the spare room as she cried to much!!! Tosser ha ha ha i am really missing all this :iconsad: i gotta bag me a man!!! ha ha x x x x x x
piesmummy2006
piesmummy2006

Female Number of posts : 2089
Tell us about yourself : i would say i am a yummy mummy to Niamh nearly 2 (who i am still breast feeding), and a childrens student nurse!!!!!
Your mood today : Naughty
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:43 pm

http://babyreference.com/Cosleeping&SIDSFactSheet.htm
http://www.breastfeeding.com/reading_room/co_slepping.html

If you are breastfeeding the risk of SIDs is greatly reduced anyway. Let alone co sleeping which encourages successful breastfeeding. Current research suggests that SIDs happens when a baby sleeps too deeply. This is why mothers are told to put the baby to sleep on their backs, as they don't sleep well on their backs and babies that use dummies tend to be better because the sucking action keeps them more alert. If you are co sleeping, your baby just won't sleep as deeply as he would if he was in another room in his own bed. Ironic I know, but your warmth, the beating of your heart, the free access to the booby all keep him in a state of light sleep Smile

I love this site http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/advantages.html because it is actually a university site Smile so they've done lab research, they also give you a list of guidelines etc.

But also Dr. Sears Smile http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T102200.asp Apparently current research on cot death is from 1999!

Most HV's still advise mothers to feed every 2 hours when they are breastfeeding... and every breastfeeder knows thats just rubbish to be able to sucessfully breastfeed Wink

Lil miss had a cot attached to the bed, but most of the time laid cuddled up to me on the boob with my arm around her protecting her. I just wore heavy pj's and got rid of the blankets all together. Now I have a bed guard which is really useful, but she sleeps most of the time in her own cot. She likes her space and is an evil fidgit. Funnily enough, I co slept more with lil miss than Tia and Tia was more difficult to get into her own bed ... weird. Shocked
Squiglet
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:33 am

Wow thanks for all that Squiglet it's very interesting! It does make alot of sense!
I never really looked into any of it much with Brody, as I say he would just wriggle and whinge until he was in his own space.

I have to say I love him being in with us. I also feel better that I can feel and hear him breathing next to me too.

I was just reading through my post natal record and was quite suprised it says..

To reduce risk of cot death, babies should sleep in parents' room until 6 months. Bed sharing helps with breastfeeding but is not safe if either parent is a smoker, has been drinking or have taken drugs which make them sleep; also not safe on sofa or old sagging mattress.

I know last time I was told it wasn't safe no matter what so that is a bit of an improvement Laughing
jools
jools

Back to top Go down

Post by KylieDavis Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:57 pm

Thats interesting i never knew their was research on co sleeping. I just wanted to add that the side of the bed with the wall is the best. i woke up the other night to my baby grunting because her daddy was laying on her arm. Is this ok? Icon_eek Daddys a big guy too lucky it was just an arm!
KylieDavis
KylieDavis

Female Number of posts : 46
Tell us about yourself : Mother to a beautiful 10 month old girl.
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahB Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:24 pm

I went to a fantastic conference on Co-sleeping a few yrs ago now, and agree with most of the above, u guys all seem to be full of top advice!

As much as i completely agree that baby is safer on ure side, the research i saw studied couples and had a camera in their rooms, time and time again it showed that if the mother got out of bed the father would take up the position of guarding the baby, like in the fetal position. It was fascinating to watch. The men had no recollection of doing it either!

The conference talked about many co-sleeping issues, and then showed a series of pictures of good vs not good baby sleepin arrangements, one she pointed out was baby, mum, dad and a cat at either corner of the bed, i had to stop myself lol-ing as at the time that was my bed every night!

SarahB

Female Number of posts : 14
Tell us about yourself : I am mother of 2,(and 2 angels) married and 25 i have been a breastfeeding buddy in our local area for 5 yrs, i bf my children and have recently been successful in a new job promoting bf in our area and helping the other buddy's. Just as I was on my way to sign the contract (last Sept) for my new dream job i hit water and aquaplaned into a tree, causing a tibia plateau brake to my left leg...GUTTED
Registration date : 2009-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum