Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello :-)

+3
kay
angpixi
TashaAndBump
7 posters

Go down

Hello :-) Empty Hello :-)

Post by TashaAndBump Mon May 25, 2009 1:22 pm

Hi :newhere:

I'm just introducing myself :-)

My name is Natasha, my husband and I have one daughter - She is 14 months old and still breastfeeding. We have been TTC for six months now and we are now so happy to be expecting our second child... I'm 5 weeks pregnant now.

Just looking for advice and support about breastfeeding during pregnancy really as I'm not really sure about it... :confuzzled:

So, that's me Very Happy Looking forward to getting to know you all Smile
TashaAndBump
TashaAndBump

Female Number of posts : 121
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Anna (17 months old) Pregnant with identical twins! Smile

Due 29th January - Can't wait to breastfeed babies 2 and 3 :-) Anna stopped breastfeeding at 16 months 2 weeks.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Hello :-) Empty Re: Hello :-)

Post by angpixi Mon May 25, 2009 2:01 pm

👋 hi and welcome to the site Very Happy congratulations on your bump!
what are you not sure about? its perfectly okk to bf while pg though when i first found out i was pg with my last babe the dr and a hv told me to stop Rolling Eyes it wasnt til i saw my usual dr and came on here i realised it was fine!
theres quite a few ladies on here who have too, all i would say is make sure you keep yourself healthy!
what my dr said also is when the babe is born make sure that he/she is fed first.
good luck with it all :aww: dont hesitate to come on here and ask questions theres plenty of help Very Happy look forward to getting to know you!
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Mon May 25, 2009 2:30 pm

👋 welcome to the forum Natasha - now we have 2 pregnant Natashas on board! cheers

I have no experiance of breastfeeding when pregnant or tandem feeding, but Angie certainly has, as have many of the others on here.

Talk to your midwife at your booking appointment, and just make sure all is well. Eat healthy and drink lots of water - remember, it is you that will suffer if you dont, not your unborn baby or your breastmilk :aww:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by TashaAndBump Mon May 25, 2009 6:06 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome...

what are you not sure about?

A few things really... I had a miscarriage in March I was just looking for reassurance really that it was not because I was breastfeeding Embarassed

Also, Do I need to stop before baby is born? If I don't stop - will baby still have colostrum - Won't Anna's milk be too milky for her?

And one last small concern is that Anna has been a bit off of the breast the last few days - still having a feed or two, but not anywhere near as much as she was before - is this her giving a signal that she is ready to wean? Or is it just because my milk has pregnancy hormone in it - and tastes different?

Thanks! Smile
TashaAndBump
TashaAndBump

Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Anna (17 months old) Pregnant with identical twins! Smile

Due 29th January - Can't wait to breastfeed babies 2 and 3 :-) Anna stopped breastfeeding at 16 months 2 weeks.

Back to top Go down

Post by gingerpig Mon May 25, 2009 7:35 pm

TashaAndBump wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome...

what are you not sure about?

A few things really... I had a miscarriage in March I was just looking for reassurance really that it was not because I was breastfeeding Embarassed

Also, Do I need to stop before baby is born? If I don't stop - will baby still have colostrum - Won't Anna's milk be too milky for her?

And one last small concern is that Anna has been a bit off of the breast the last few days - still having a feed or two, but not anywhere near as much as she was before - is this her giving a signal that she is ready to wean? Or is it just because my milk has pregnancy hormone in it - and tastes different?

Thanks! Smile

Hi there! I fed through pregnancy, and in fact am still feeding both cheers I went to the gp for Michaels' 6 week check-up and she not only told Deborah to grow up (she's 2 ffs!) she also said it was only ok if Michael weighed enough. Then she weighed him and realised that he is on the 91st centile - he is a lovely big fattie! There's a really good book called "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" by Hilary Flowers, you should be able to pick up cheap somewhere, it's got lots of information in it.

Your milk will turn to colostrum, as your body will respond to the new baby growing. However, if your older one keeps feeding (some like the taste of colostrum, some don't, so some stop during pregnancy and start again afterwards, some cut down and up their feeds massively, some stop, some don't notice - every child is different!) you may find your supply is quite a lot (obv it works on supply and demand) when the new baby is born which is really useful. I had a c-section with both children, with Deborah my milk came in at 5 days, with Michael it came in at 2 days!

No idea about the miscarriage, as am not a medical expert but personally speaking if your body is prepared to keep producing milk throughout pregnancy, then it's probably ok. Quite a few women do tandem feed as well, so can't think its a major factor. The tandem feeding book talks about it. Really sorry you had one, and think that most women find something to feel guilty about, when really its just a really, really sad thing.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

gingerpig

Female Number of posts : 38
Tell us about yourself : I'm 38 and a SAHM. My daughter was born 10th Feb 2007 and my son born 28th Jan 2009. I am tandem feeding them and am a breast feedinghelper with the BfN. I had big problems feeding DD at first, but now it couldn't be going better Smile
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://gingerpiggy.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TashaAndBump Mon May 25, 2009 7:39 pm

Thank you for the reply Smile

I'm feeling a bit better now about feeding during pregnancy.... just a bit confused about where to go from now... Whether to stop or carry on during pregnancy right until the end.

I've made a thread in the section to do with breastfeeding during pregnancy so I'll not copy it all out here but if you're interested I've written down everything there.

Thanks again x
TashaAndBump
TashaAndBump

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Mon May 25, 2009 7:45 pm

really dont think bf will have anything to do with your miscarriage :aww: sorry for your loss.
you dont need to stop before baby is born, to be honest im not sure how the colostrum bit works im not up on the 'scientific bit' ! there are some girls on here who know more about those bits and im sure they will answer before long- i can answer more of the practical/experience bits Laughing
Aeryn stopped bf about a month before willow was born, totally by herself so i didnt get to the tandem feeding stage but i was still producing milk, she didnt seem to lack anythimg from not having the colostrum. there is at least one of the girls who has bf right through and still feeding newborn so they probably better to answer!
if you do continue to bf Anna when babe is born you just have to make sure babe is fed first. if thats the case then you have planty of time to get Anna used to the idea and were alll here to give tips and help with that too Very Happy
as for your last concern, most babies have dips in their feeds naturally so it could just be one of those, its not necessarily her getting ready to stop (though it could be!) milk does taste different when pg hormones kick in so it could be shes getting used to it.
hope i havent babbled too much? i tend to once i get going Embarassed x
(just been writing this while gingerpig wrote a reply! shes answered the colostrum question better than me but i cant be bothered to edit this so just so u dont think im ignoring her post or being daft)
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by gingerpig Mon May 25, 2009 7:48 pm

Why not let Anna decide? How do you feel about feeding 2? It's possible but may or may not be what you want to do. Personally I think it's great although as I have posted elsewhere, that Picadilly circus feeling first thing on my boobs can be a bit full on lol. The Tandem Feeding book does talk about the uterine contractions that some women can experience whilst bfeeding, but birth is caused by all different sorts of hormones being triggered not just bf ones. My English is rubbish tonight, apologies.

gingerpig

Tell us about yourself : I'm 38 and a SAHM. My daughter was born 10th Feb 2007 and my son born 28th Jan 2009. I am tandem feeding them and am a breast feedinghelper with the BfN. I had big problems feeding DD at first, but now it couldn't be going better Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by TashaAndBump Mon May 25, 2009 7:50 pm

Thanks hun! Smile

You haven't babbled at all - You should see my thread in Breastfeeding And Pregnant Embarassed lol Now THAT'S babbling haha

You know just after I said Anna hadn't been interested in milk the last few days, she came and latched on and has been feeding since - she's having the biggest, longest milky feed ever! lol
TashaAndBump
TashaAndBump

Back to top Go down

Post by TashaAndBump Mon May 25, 2009 7:52 pm

gingerpig wrote:Why not let Anna decide? How do you feel about feeding 2? It's possible but may or may not be what you want to do. Personally I think it's great although as I have posted elsewhere, that Picadilly circus feeling first thing on my boobs can be a bit full on lol. The Tandem Feeding book does talk about the uterine contractions that some women can experience whilst bfeeding, but birth is caused by all different sorts of hormones being triggered not just bf ones. My English is rubbish tonight, apologies.

I'm undecided about tandem feeding... The concept was brand new to me until today and at first I didnt think it would be for me, but now it really does appeal the more I think about it.

...But I'm worried about other people's reactions to the idea - my husband and family mostly... Not sure what to do. I always planned to let Anna wean herself and not stop until she was done. I don't know why being pregnant should have to change that... If I was living in a world where breastfeeding was 'normal' I don't think there would be a question in it to be honest.... Hmmm...
TashaAndBump
TashaAndBump

Back to top Go down

Post by gingerpig Mon May 25, 2009 8:17 pm

It is difficult to decide! I don't think I ever really decided that I was doing the "right thing" for a few weeks after Michael was born. Deborah had a D&V bug and the only thing she could keep down was my milk and that made me so proud of myself for sticking with it, knowing she had some food in her tummy. But every family is different, and there is no right or wrong. A lot depends on the personality of your children too, so again hard to think about as you dont know what your new LO will be like. It's tricky sometimes here, as D is quite demanding (but then she is 2) and will often be jealous when Michael is feeding. However, she is learning about taking turns and sharing, and when Michael is feeding, she will sometimes pat him and say "Mitalls turn". So it's sinking in and children do have to learn to share. M is a big chap too, so his growth spurts are hard work, but then that would be the case whether I was feeding just him or both.

Sorry, not to rabbit on about us, but just to share what we'd found out.

Not sure what to do. I always planned to let Anna wean herself and not stop until she was done. I don't know why being pregnant should have to change that... If I was living in a world where breastfeeding was 'normal' I don't think there would be a question in it to be honest.... Hmmm...
This does sound like you're leaning more one way than the other atm, but it's really ok to swing backwards and forwards for quite some time. It's really just wonderful that you're thinking about it all! PM me if you want to ask me more, I could lend you my copy of tandem feeding if I can find it ...

gingerpig

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Tue May 26, 2009 6:51 am

Hello - welcome and congratulations xxx
ldnug
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Tue May 26, 2009 7:40 am

Welcome and Congratulations.

I haven't done it (breastfeedign while pregnant) but I see these ladies have given you soem great advice already :aww:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:49 am

hi and welcome hun x x x
piesmummy2006
piesmummy2006

Female Number of posts : 2089
Tell us about yourself : i would say i am a yummy mummy to Niamh nearly 2 (who i am still breast feeding), and a childrens student nurse!!!!!
Your mood today : Naughty
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum