Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Struggling :o(

+8
ldnug
TashaAndBump
Rachel
angpixi
Natasha
emmiesmummy
donna4
kay
12 posters

Go down

topic2 Struggling :o(

Post by kay Sat May 30, 2009 10:52 pm

As hard as it is for me to admit, I am really struggling feeding at the moment Sad

Corey is feeding non stop, and wants me just 'because he can'. I am sooo sore, and he is grazing and biting a lot.
He still feeds several times a night, and will only go to sleep on my boob, he screams if i go out of sight, and is constantlt hanging off my legs. Im just exhausted and really need a break.
I managed to get for a couple of hours the other week, but called back because he wouldnt stop screaming when he woke up.

I dont nesseccarily want to stop, and i dont even want my 'life back' (I have no life - my kids are it lol!), I just need a break and for Corey to be comfortable with other people.

He will drink from a cup, sippy cup or sometimes a bottle, but not ebm, only water or cows milk. but he wont have this as his comfort, only a drink.
I am trying to limit his feeding in the day a little, and offering drinks and food instead, but he doesnt seem to be getting it. I dont want to force him to wean, I was hoping now he is so active he would start to drop feeds a little, but its not the case.

I really dont know what to do. I dont even know what advice im after. Its just hard at the moment :iconsad:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

topic2 Re: Struggling :o(

Post by donna4 Sun May 31, 2009 6:15 am

:bighug: sorry dont know what to say hun, hope it gets better xxxxxxxxx
donna4
donna4

Female Number of posts : 921
Tell us about yourself : Hi im Donna i have 5 children jamie 10, kiera 6, emilie 5, blake 4, and zachary 15 months, they mean the world to me :O)
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 5
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Sun May 31, 2009 6:52 am

:aww: We have been having similar problems with Em,my boobs feel similar to when your milk comes in ,they are really heavy and its sore if anyone even brushes past,i really dont know what to suggest Kay, We tried getting Emily so busy in the day she hast time for milk but as she still wont eat much solids it just means she's wanting milk all night. I sometimes wish i wasnt feeding so i could get some sleep but she wont touch cows milk. Heres hoping things improve. xx
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Sun May 31, 2009 8:44 am

:aww: To Kay and Jane

Olivia went through this stage at a similar age, though she wasn't breastfeeding then.

What I am trying to say is, this could be a normal milestone and that as they are breastfeeding still they use this as their coping mecanism and its just something else that will pass.

I always find through growth spurts or normal developments Olivia becomes very clingy, wakes a lot at night, moans and winges a lot and generaly acting like shes gone back to younegr than a 1 year old.

I also find shes very intense and that I can't get 5 mins head space.

Just a thought
Very Happy
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Sun May 31, 2009 8:46 am

Also Kay Olivia would never drink bm out of anything but me, though she would only drink juice or water out of a cup and never would touch cows milk.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Sun May 31, 2009 9:14 am

I tend to agree with Natasha, Willow was like this a few months ago, she was constantly hanging off my boobs, to the point if i sat down she would be there so i spent lots of time standing! What i think im saying is its just a phase, could be a stage in their emotional development when they start to 'remember ' when youre not there and need the comfort of you when they see you. I cant really offer any advice except reassure you that willow isnt like that now! i noticed that the ages tally up too, both you and jane have little ones the same age and willow was around that age when she was being like that. hope it passes soon :aww:
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel Sun May 31, 2009 3:30 pm

I'm really sorry I can't offer any advice, but just can sympathise completely. My LO is only 7 months but she won't take breastmilk unless it's from me and she won't sleep unless she has been :boob: . Yesterday, my hubby and I went to a close friends wedding, to which we took her. Came home after the meal to put her to bed and went back out again to the night do(only 2nd time out since she was born)!!! Just walked through the door to greet the newlyweds and got a call from the MIL to say she had woken up and was inconsolable!! Sad We had to come straight back, by which point she had been crying for an hour!! She stopped the minute I picked her up, had another huge :boob: and fell back to sleep.
I totally understand how hard it can be...you wouldn't have it any way, but you just sometimes wish they could be pacified by other people.
I felt bad for the in-laws because they felt like they had failed in helping us to have a night out. :iconsad:
As the others have said...it won't last forever, I think it just feels like it sometimes! :aww:
Rachel
Rachel

Female Number of posts : 50
Tell us about yourself : Mum of two, Oli 4 yrs ( breastfed for 18 months) and Evie 16 months old and still going strong.
Primary teacher and married to a secondary teacher and a wonderful hubby who completely supports me in breastfeeding.
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by TashaAndBump Sun May 31, 2009 4:57 pm

Anna was like this last month... for about 3 weeks. It was a nightmare. I found myself at the end of my tether and crying to my husband, "I need a break! I just need someone to take her away - to be able to go a couple of hours without her hanging from my boob or wrapped around my ankles!!" I felt awful for saying it but it was just built up stress and the fact I really did need a break. It didn't mean I loved her any less or didn't enjoy her being here - just that I was working pretty much 24/7 at being mummy and had no time to even have a cup of tea!

I even thought about weaning her Embarassed though thankfully she did come out the other end and now is back to feeding only when she is hungry / thirsty and will take solids or juice if I offer it to her first (though usually has milk as well afterwards! lol)

She had a cold just a few days ago and no has hay fever... I just keep thinking, "thank God I am still feeding her!!" and there are so many lovely milky cuddles when I am not stressed that I am grateful that we persevered Smile

I think it is a normal phase hun and no doubt you little one will come through the other side just as Anna did...

Is there anyone who you could leave Corey with for a few hours in the day time? So that it's not at the forefront of his mind?

My mum is has the same problem at the moment with my sister Lily, who is a month younger than my Anna, and I have taken her for a few hours in the day just to give her break and we found that if Lily was occupied and my mum isn't there she doesn't even seem to think about milk as she doesn't ask for it or whinge at all... yet if my mum is around she cries and moans until she is put on the breast.... Maybe it is a 13 month old thing?

Hope it gets better for you soon x
TashaAndBump
TashaAndBump

Female Number of posts : 121
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Anna (17 months old) Pregnant with identical twins! Smile

Due 29th January - Can't wait to breastfeed babies 2 and 3 :-) Anna stopped breastfeeding at 16 months 2 weeks.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Sun May 31, 2009 6:29 pm

I have been hoping it was an age/phase thing which is why im sticking it out , i also wondered if it was likely soon that she may want to stop which i would be sad about,so although its a pain & making me a bit depressed where im so tired im also glad she still needs me so much
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Sun May 31, 2009 6:41 pm

Thanks a lot ladies - its reassuring to know im feeling 'normal' and you guys have or do feel similar. :group hug:

There isnt anyone most of the time that can take him, as Dave works fulltime (and he's not here much when he finishes either, but thata a whole other story we are improving on Rolling Eyes ). If and when anyone does take him, he is fine - it is the bed feeds he wont take anything other than me.
On my night out i waited til i had got him to sleep, went out (in car so i could come home if needed!), and that got called 2 hours later as he was incosolable when he woke ( and you know im not one for cry it out)

If we are out and about, he is ok. He loves walks in the buggy etc, and we can have a whole day out and about and he doesnt want boob once, like Ange said - its at home - the second i sit, or just hanging off my legs - i end up dragging him round the house lol!

Hopefully it is an age thing, by the sound of everyone elses experiences. He is also cutting back teeth, and has his MMR tomorrow, so that will no doubt set him back too!

I am proud to be feeding him still, i guess things are just a little on top of me atm.

:loveyou: girls! :aww:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Sun May 31, 2009 8:32 pm

:aww:

It really does sound like a normal part of his development, even now Olivia will not go to bed without me putting her to bed and when shes having these moments, she only ever wants me.

:aww: It should settle soon, hopefully the MMR wont take him too far bacl for you as I can imagine your very tierd
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Sun May 31, 2009 9:54 pm

No advice Kay just :aww: and hope that it is just a stage xx
ldnug
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:15 am

ldnug wrote:No advice Kay just :aww: and hope that it is just a stage xx

Same from me :aww: :aww: :aww: :aww: :aww:
jools
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:46 pm

:aww:

Tia went through the same thing and wasn't breastfeeding and lilmiss is doing the same thing now and does breastfeed. It must be an age thing. If I sit still for longer than a few moments, shes on my lap demanding boob... she wakes up at night and only settles with boob...she also has this munch on this boob and then change her mind and want the other one thing going on. It drives me nuts.

The clambering all over me and trying to constantly fiddle with my other nipple or moles is really the thing that has almost broken me.

At the moment I am just taking each day as it comes. Lil miss isn't ready to stop breastfeeding and I haven't encouraged her in anyway either. I really want to make it to two years... But some days and more so recently its really exasperating.

Sounds awful but on Wednesday I stayed home from work because I was ill but lil miss went to nursery. I cannot express how lovely it was to have just a few hours on my own without her. I love her so much but she is so demanding and all encompassing that the break is so appreciated. Ironically I really missed her though.

Thing is bf'ing is so convenient and so much a part of our reconnection after our separation each day that its an important part of our relationship.
Squiglet
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:44 pm

:bighug:

In a nice way its lovely to know im not alone - it was kind of hard to admit really!
Like you say, the relationship, the convenience, the health benefits - everything is great - but you just sometimes wish it wasnt soley on YOU and they would just be happy with someone else for a while! Rolling Eyes

Here's hoping it is an age thing, and we'll all come through smiling! Very Happy
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:51 pm

aww :aww:

bethany went through this and lasted quite a few weeks so i am guessing its a age thing. she weaned herself off during the day quite a few months ago and still had this stage. were back to night and morning feeds now though, apart from if she sees my boobs during the day like if i am getting changed or anything and then she lunges for them and says 'mine mine' Laughing
Helen
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:11 pm

kay wrote::bighug:

In a nice way its lovely to know im not alone - it was kind of hard to admit really!
Like you say, the relationship, the convenience, the health benefits - everything is great - but you just sometimes wish it wasnt soley on YOU and they would just be happy with someone else for a while! Rolling Eyes

Here's hoping it is an age thing, and we'll all come through smiling! Very Happy

:aww: oh common... he is a man... he'll learn to love other boobs one day! Very Happy Wink x
Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down