Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quality of my milk

5 posters

Go down

Quality of my milk Empty Quality of my milk

Post by nickyjones Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:30 pm

I am starting to get a bit worried about the quality of my milk. The reason is Keira has woken two out of the last 3 nights really hungry and needing a big feed. She is feeding her same sort of frequency during the day so I am sure the amount is fine so I am starting to get a bit paranoid that the quality isn't there meaning she needs an extra feed. Is this possible? Am I just being ultra paranoid?

Thanks

nickyjones

Female Number of posts : 221
Tell us about yourself :
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Quality of my milk Empty Re: Quality of my milk

Post by Natasha Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:42 pm

How long has this been going on hun?

It sounds like a normal growth spurt to me, do you keep her on the same boob until its totaly drained?

Btw, I think your being paranoid Quality of my milk Icon_wink

Quality of my milk 262538
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyjones Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:54 pm

Thanks Tasha, just a few days but it is right after her having a dodgy tummy with diarhea for 8 days which has meant she was waking once (or more) a night with dirty nappies. I was feeding her after changing her just so to help settle her afterwards, but she wasn't taking that much.

I am feeding her on one side until she really fusses (keeps latching on, pulling off, latching on pulling of and getting fustrated), I then change sides, and she is feeding a lot from the second side. The combination mean that she has only slept through twice in the last 2 weeks. I got really used to a full night sleep again.

nickyjones

Tell us about yourself :

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:48 am

Sounds like she may have liked getting mummy milk at night again ,its really easy for them to get back into the habit. Up to you how you deal with it ,you can either go with the flow or refuse at night & keep putting her back to bed saying no milk at night.
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:04 am

Thing is Keira is only 5 months old, Charlotte will go through stages of sleeping through and then like now wakes 3 or 4 times at nearly 8 months.

Its perfectly normal, prolactin levels are higher at night and babies tend to get a better feed during that time.

I wouldn't deny her milk, theres a reason she is feeding more often. If she was throwing up a lot after feeding from being a piggy then id reconsider the situation.

I would say that she is very likely to be going through a growth spurt, especialy as her feeding is similar through out the day, and as shes had a dicky tummy she might be compensating for that time.

I honestly don't think it would be anything to worry about, its hard waking in the night after they have been sleeping through, so I can fully sympathise with you as im going through a similar thing.

You sound like your doing everything right Nicky. Growth spurts typicaly go on upto a week in some cases, so if in a weeks time you see no improvement or your concerned still then please let me/us know and we can have a look and see what else it could be.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyjones Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Thanks Tasha,

No I wouldn't even consider refusing her a feed, I like my sleep far too much for that. Once she is fed she goes straight back to sleep - only takes 20 -30mins max. She did actually sleep through again last night BUT today she has been feeding every 2hrs to make up for it, so it must be a growth spurt, I just didn't remember one at around this age with Ellie - though I had started weaning Ellie by now maybe it made a difference. Ellie was definitely showing signs of being ready sooner. She was sitting up unaided at only 4months - Keira isn't doing that yet. Ellie grabbed my drink of water out my hand and drunk it at just 4.5months. Keira again is doing nothing like that. They are all completely different aren't they.

nickyjones

Tell us about yourself :

Back to top Go down

Post by TashaAndBump Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Yes I agree it sounds perfectly normal Smile Probably a growth spurt. I doubt there is anything wrong with your milk, sounds like your baby just wants more of the good stuff Quality of my milk 129911
TashaAndBump
TashaAndBump

Female Number of posts : 121
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Anna (17 months old) Pregnant with identical twins! Smile

Due 29th January - Can't wait to breastfeed babies 2 and 3 :-) Anna stopped breastfeeding at 16 months 2 weeks.
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:57 pm

Yes Charlotte and Olivia are very different too.
Im sure it will settle soon x
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyjones Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:50 pm

It has nicely settled down. I got Keira weighed at she only put on 2.5oz in the last 3 weeks - however that covered the period she had the diarhea for (8 days in total), so I (and the HV) are sure that is why. So I guess she was making up for that week when she was waking. Thankfully she had plenty to lose, she has dropped from half way between 75th and 91st percentile lines to just below the 75th.

nickyjones

Tell us about yourself :

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:17 pm

thats great news hun Quality of my milk Icon_cheers
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by kaygeebee Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:48 pm

Great news. I really wouldn't worry about milk quality. If it's boobie juice it's the best quality milk you can get.

Owen started night waking again when he hit 5 months. I still haven't figured out why, but I'm happy to feed him whenever he wants - I figure he's still tiny really.

If he was over 1 and on proper solids I would probably reconsider, but at the moment I'm going with the flow ..... he has only ever slept through from 11.30 - 7.30 and never longer. It's so hard when you are used to a full night's sleep, but you kind of get used tonight feeding again too. x

kaygeebee

Female Number of posts : 127
Tell us about yourself : mum to a little boy, born August 2009
Your mood today : Bored
Thanks and Reputation points : 4
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down