Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OMG

+2
Squiglet
piesmummy2006
6 posters

Go down

OMG Empty OMG

Post by piesmummy2006 Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:52 pm

Crying or Very sad omg Niamh has got nits!!!! i dont even bloody know how to get them out and i have never even seen them before!! they are really big does that mean she has had them ages? Crying or Very sad i ant even notices her scratching untill today and she ant got many eggs but am waiting for my mum to bring me some stuff i carnt leave the house coz am waiting for her bed to come will there be loads of eggs by the time she arrives!! poor niamh i keep trying to to cry so it dunt worry her!! god i need to get a grip dont i lol xxx
piesmummy2006
piesmummy2006

Female Number of posts : 2089
Tell us about yourself : i would say i am a yummy mummy to Niamh nearly 2 (who i am still breast feeding), and a childrens student nurse!!!!!
Your mood today : Naughty
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

OMG Empty Re: OMG

Post by Squiglet Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:18 pm

Ewww... my heads itching already... T's had nits a ton... so I sympathise totally. If it's any consolation she probably got them because she has clean hair Sad

One, forget it....she's already got eggs in there...especially if you can see adult lice. The time it takes for them to become relatively short I think it's about a week. So no, and until they hatch and get big you don't itch... Plus you tend to get the adult ones in your hair first who lay eggs.

There are many things you can do both natural and un-natural. I've tried them all but I have some handy hints Smile

1) You can use either chemicals and blast the fkers (this is my personal preference as I am proper squicked out by nits!). But this has the disadvantage of not working around 50% of the time. Unfortunately nits are pretty hardy nowadays.

2) Tea tree and condition them out of there. This is a labor intensive method and really requires dedication but has a good success rate.

a) First douse the hair with tea tree oil, wrap in plastic wrap if you can (I know what kids are like grrr), leave on for about 3 hours, or over night if you can - put a towel on her pillow though so as not to get oil over it.
b) Strip all beds and either freeze or put in the dryer to kill em...or you will need to wash them. Also bleach all combs/brushes over night.
c) Next day wash out with shampoo and then literally smother her hair in conditioner - get one of those eco crap brands and use tones and tones.
d) Comb the buggers out of there, making sure you go through her entire hair...she will protest, even the biggens do.
e) Rinse and repeat with the conditioner.
f) Leave her hair for 3 days and do the conditioner thing again.
g) Repeat f for 2 weeks.
h) Repeat c, d and e once a month.

Problem is Niamh's hair is curly so it's just a playground for them. I also have some bad news for you....you are going to have to check your hair too Sad

We use the whole baking soda and apple cider vinegar with T now, and her hair is ALWAYS in a bun when she goes to school. Before that she would forever be coming home from school with nits, I'd get rid of them and the next day they were back. She was off school for Xmas vacation, within a week after returning to school...they were back... It was SOOOO FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hairpull But I did the whole non chemical thing, stopped washing her hair with normal shampoo, drummed into her about touching other peoples hair with her head or sharing coats, and always pulling her hair back and so far.. (fingers crossed) we haven't had a repeat.
Squiglet
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:32 pm

I was mortified when Ty first came home with them - and like you say, they were big ones and loads of them!!

completely second what Morag said - we use tea tree shampoo and conditioner and a leave in tea tree repellent at every wash, and they rarely get them now, or if they do, i spot a couple of eggs or 1 or 2 nits and get the buggers out in time!
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:02 pm

Tara had hair that was long tight thick ringlet curls & it took ages to comb through it,i would sit her in front of the tv with her fav film & smother with cheap conditioner & comb every strand over and over & reward her at the end with some sweeties as she sat there soooo long. I did find her hair attracted them as it was so thick & curly & tried to keep it in plaits etc when at playschool etc..

Dont feel bad either,most kids get them at some point & i didnt spot Taras until they were really established as she never scratched or anything either.
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:29 pm

OMG Icon_rolleyes yeah weve been through this problem loads, as you can imagine with me having dreads its a nightmare so i do go for the preventetive more often now. when Milly was in juniors it was nearly every week OMG Icon_evil seems to have got loads less frequent now shes in senior, i dont know if it was the classmates or the fact she has really thick hair, Maz doesnt get them as much and Aeryns only got them once.
as an experienced de-nitter OMG Icon_redface i have found certain treatments better than others- lyclear spray is great cos its oily and seems to work well
i use delacet preparation from an online health store (cant remember which one but easy googled) its good for afro hair or dreads.
http://www.delacet.com/
ive also used quassia chips but its a bit of a faff!
hope you get rid soon! oh and one of the best combs is a long tooth metal one from boots 9.99 expensive but worth it in my house!!!
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:46 pm

I keep meaning to buy that metal comb - the plastic ones go no-where near them on my kids OMG Icon_rolleyes OMG Icon_rolleyes OMG Icon_rolleyes OMG Icon_rolleyes
is that the one that kind of zaps them as it passes? OMG Icon_scratch
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:51 pm

well my mum bought me full marks liquid and no word of a lie i was combing it form 5 till half 8 i wamted to make sure every lice and egg was out she kicked up a fuss two dvds later i was done i have promised her a mag in the morning! i carnt believe how many she had and i was thinking how long must they of been there i ant been itching my mum put an afro perm on it last friday and she said she ant seen anything but she was in my bed last night!! affraid the stuff i put on my hair makes my hair feel damp if you know what i mean lol so am hoping it will be too greasy for them i hope to god i ant got em coz if i put a nit comb through it it will wreck my hair and its the nicest its looked in a while sods law eh!!!! av stripped my bed and she got a new bed today and av put clean bedding on too tomorrow she is off in corn roes she WILL sit and let me do it ha ha will that help lower the chance or will the buggers still get in?? x x
piesmummy2006
piesmummy2006

Tell us about yourself : i would say i am a yummy mummy to Niamh nearly 2 (who i am still breast feeding), and a childrens student nurse!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:25 am

Ang the corn roes will help keep them away cos there wont be much for them to grab onto and her hair wont be free to clash into other heads!
Kay the comb i use is just a long tooth metal one with serrated teeth it grabs nits and eggs as it goes down and is good for thick hair
http://www.boots.com/en/Nitty-Gritty-NitFree-Comb_35241/
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:46 pm

she did sit for me to put the corn rows in, bless her she liked them when i was done, i would of kept her off today and tomorrow but i have appointments to go to and it life isn't it, i carnt keep her off forever lol i might get one of them actually the tiny eggs i was getting out with my nail. Neutral and this morning i saw i few more eggs but with clean bedding and a new bed am hoping they where ones i missed last night! confused xxx
piesmummy2006
piesmummy2006

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:18 pm

forgot to add, if you got a tumble drier, do the bedding in that - that finishes em off lol!
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:52 pm

You may need to take the corn rows out to do her hair again....BUT....corn rows are an excellent way to keep her hair away from other kids. The ones in her hair this morning will be from last night most likely, especially if you used a chemical brand and nit comb and got the adults out. Smile
Squiglet
Squiglet

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:28 pm

no i just washed them and put em on the line lol, yer am gonna undo em now and comb through again lol thankyou all for your advice your all great!! x x x
piesmummy2006
piesmummy2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:54 pm

Ohh im sooo not looking forward to the nit stage!

Hope you get rid of the gits for good! vile things!
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:02 am

piesmummy2006 wrote:no i just washed them and put em on the line lol, yer am gonna undo em now and comb through again lol thankyou all for your advice your all great!! x x x

Even with the chemical shampoos you'll need to go through the hair again in about a week, just encase you've missed some eggs (they are notorious for hiding), but it's always advisable to tie her hair back against her scalp if she is going to nursery.
Squiglet
Squiglet

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:23 pm

poor niamh av been checking everyday ha ha, it says on the packet to repeat the process again in a week so i might do it again! oh their horrid tash!!! blurrrggghhhh pale i hope they have all gone for good from now on she goes with hair tightly back ha ha be gone nits Fury lol xxxxx
piesmummy2006
piesmummy2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum