Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

White mouth!

+2
Kasia80
jools
6 posters

Go down

White mouth! Empty White mouth!

Post by jools Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:12 am

Brody has white patches all over his tongue and insides of his lips and cheeks! Someone told me it could be thrush but I have absolutely no idea I thought only younger babies got it! Embarassed I really am clueless! Embarassed
Would there be any other symptoms?

I thought I'd ask the pros! Very Happy
jools
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

White mouth! Empty Re: White mouth!

Post by Kasia80 Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:38 am

It is thrush, hun.

Do you exprience any pain while bf him?

You should treat him and yourself asap.
There is a few ways of doing it. I would recommend starting with seing your doctor and he/she is most likely to prescribe Nystan http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100003722.html
to treat Brody's mouth.

But there is few ways to do it at home, with checked and working methods.
It can be Gentian Violet
http://www.kellymom.com/newman/06gentian_violet.html
Will give Brody purple mouth thou, quite funny view!
http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/gvstains.html - how to treat Gentian stains;

My reservations with beginning with the above medications are that the Nystatin liquid contains sugar to make it palatable enough that baby will swallow it. However, yeast feeds on sugar. This may be the reason why it is often not effective. Gentian Violet is effective, but stains skin purple for several days. I have some lovely photos of my twins with purple faces! Diflucan is very effective, but can cause intestinal distress in mom and/or baby. For these reasons, I prefer to begin with Grapefruit Seed Extract as the first line of defense. I have found that the use of Grapefruit Seed Extract as recommended almost always brings rapid relief and an elimination of the yeast imbalance.
Grapefruit Seed Extract is a broad-spectrum antimicrobial compound synthesized from the seeds and pulp of grapefruit. It is an extremely potent and effective broad-spectrum bactericide, fungicide, antiviral and antiparasitic compound. Tests have shown that GSE is dramatically more effective than Colloidal Silver, Iodine, Tea Tree Oil and Clorox bleach against five common microorganisms. In studies performed by Dr. John Mainarich of Bio-Research Laboratories in Redmond, WA, samples of each of the common antimicrobials or sanitizing agents were evaluated for effectiveness against Candida albicans, Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella typhi, Streptococcus faecium and E. coli. The other antimicrobials tested were considerably less effective than the GSE.
GSE is extremely effective in the treatment of thrush. I also find it to be the easiest place to start. If used diligently, it typically will clear up thrush within a couple of days.
Treatment of thrush with GSE

• Make a mixture of 10 drops of Citricidal Grapefruit Seed Extract to one ounce of water. The use of distilled water to make your solution is very important. The chemicals placed in your local tap water to kill bacteria can reduce the effectiveness of the active ingredients in GSE.

• IF thrush is not markedly improved by the second day, increase the mixture to 15, or even 20 drops of GSE per one ounce of distilled water. If after reaching up to at least 20, and a full day of hourly treatment with it, you see no improvement, I would consider using Diflucan. If you are prescribed Diflucan, continue to treat topically with GSE during the course of treatment.

• Use this solution with an absorbent swab on mom's nipples and baby's mouth once every hour during all waking hours. Swab baby's mouth prior to nursing and mom's nipples after nursing. Applying it to baby's mouth prior to nursing will help them to avoid the possibility of baby associating the bitter taste with nursing.

• If diaper area is affected, put the same strength solution into a spray bottle or swab as above at every diaper change.

• If the infection is particularly rampant or you are having difficulty getting rid of it, mom may need to take acidophilus or GSE capsules to get rid of it systemically.

• GSE solution can also be used in laundry or as a surface cleaner to kill yeast hiding and waiting to multiply again.

• It may be necessary for Mom to eliminate sugar from her diet until the yeast infection is gone.

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp
You might want to moisturise nipples more often while using GSE, because it tends to leave skin bit dry.

HTH

Just please remember, you beed treatent too, regardess do you have symptops or not.

You will nedd to wash all Brody's toys in hot soapy water with splash of vinegar.
Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:53 pm

Definately sounds like thrush - both mine had it - exactly same symptoms.
Can only re-emphasise what Katie said - and you need treating too as priority :aww:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 pm

Aww thanks girls I knew I could count on you for answers! What would I do without you eh? :aww:

I have no pain at all now but a couple of days ago had strange pains towards my armpits! Shocked Could that be something to do with it?

Will get an appointment in the morning! None left this afternoon! Rolling Eyes

Thanks again! :aww:
jools
jools

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:17 pm

Yes definatly see docs as soon as!

Goodluck Smile

I hope it clears soon x
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nichola Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:23 pm

Just to add some gps think that women can not get thrush on their nipples and will not treat it.
So depending on what your gp is like it might be worth printing some info off and taking it with you.

The pain you are experiencing could be thrush it can cause deep pain in the breasts.

:aww: really hope you get this treated quickly for you and Brody

Nichola

nichola
BreastBuddies
BreastBuddies

Number of posts : 169
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:15 pm

Thanks again!

Nichola it all depends on who I get to see! It's a miracle to actually get an appointment at our docs! Laughing Hopefully it will be a decent one! Very Happy
jools
jools

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:17 pm

Jools, poor you...

I would add some yogurt to diet too, will not hurt but will help friendly bacteria help the nasty yeasts.

You could try to cut refined sugar, all yeast food, like bread, bear, wine, etc, all fungi too. There is a little proven research on it, but many mothers try that and thrush is easy to treat and doesn't come back so often. Those little probiotic drinks are great with helping to combat yeasty monster too!
Kasia80
Kasia80

Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:23 pm

Aww thanks alot you always have great advice! :aww:
jools
jools

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:44 pm

How is it going Julie? have you been to the doctors yet?

bliss
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:52 pm

Ooooh sorry I forgot to update!

Well Kev rang the docs there were no appointments so the doctor spoke to him for ages and said to go up to pick up a prescription! So... we went up and guess what? Some drops for Brody (Nystan) but that's it!

Well we got home and had a look and it had disappeared!!! Is it possible for it to clear up on it's own?! I was surprised! I keep checking but there's nothing there now! scratch
jools
jools

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:12 pm

hmmmmmm how strange. i dont know much about it hun tho so am not much good. :aww:
piesmummy2006
piesmummy2006

Female Number of posts : 2089
Tell us about yourself : i would say i am a yummy mummy to Niamh nearly 2 (who i am still breast feeding), and a childrens student nurse!!!!!
Your mood today : Naughty
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:10 am

Well it's back Crying or Very sad Should have known it wouldn't just dissapear! It doesn't seem to be bothering him - should it?

The doctor said to go if the drops don't work so it looks like I'll be there on Monday!

My nipples are very dry and cracked and sore too! Sad
jools
jools

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:17 am

Awww, hun!!!!
Get the Gentian Violet, https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com/Resource-centre-f24/Thrush-treatmentGENTIAN-VIOLET-GSE-etc-t618.htm and follow as advised. It will work for your nipples and Brody's mouth. In second post there is few tips how to avoid stains...Hw will be funky looking for a while, all purple mouth, but GV works beautifuly!!!
For cracked nipples...hm...You ever heard of APNO?
http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/thrush.html#APNO . Just write down ingredients and go to your pharmacy and they should make it for you. It works like magic, Jools!

ps, love new picture in you avi!
Kasia80
Kasia80

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:29 am

Aww thanks again hun I will go hunting for some today! Hope I can find some! Very Happy :aww:
jools
jools

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:39 am

I forgot to say how outrageous it is for gp to give prescription only for child. Its like they assume you are ot bf and you can boil teats off and all will be fine. Evil or Very Mad
Well, you could try to rinse your nipples with water with vinegar in it, to help stop thrush to spread, but if they are sore and cracked it might hurt a bit. But still works.
Kasia80
Kasia80

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:24 pm

That's just it-Kev explained to them I was breastfeeding too!
I will have a go with the vinegar and water idea I'll try anything! I'll just grit my teeth! Laughing

I took some pictures of Brody's mouth earlier they are a bit blurry
White mouth! DSC05057 White mouth! DSC05056 White mouth! DSC05055
White mouth! DSC05061
jools
jools

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:57 pm

oh, dear...it looks really not good, hun! :aww:

But what a smile!!He is so cute, little cheeky monkey! Razz
Kasia80
Kasia80

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:43 am

Well I went all over trying to find it an Saturday! The first 3 places were shut and when I finally found one open the woman said dhe hasn't seen it in years! Shocked

So I've kept on with the drops and keeping my nipples clean with water and vinegar and so far so good the white has all gone but I'm keeping an eye on it as it came back last time!
jools
jools

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:27 pm

They are joking, hun...lol, haven't seen GV in years??? Shocked
Kasia80
Kasia80

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:34 pm

Bad cop wrote:They are joking, hun...lol, haven't seen GV in years??? Shocked

I know! The first woman didn't even have a clue what it was! Rolling Eyes It's ridiculous!
jools
jools

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down