Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bf and teeth.....

+3
kay
Natasha
kaygeebee
7 posters

Go down

Bf and teeth..... Empty Bf and teeth.....

Post by kaygeebee Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:17 pm

So LO has started teething and was tough to settle tonight ........ even boobie juice couldn't take away the pain! It got me thinking though ..... in a few months, when those teeth finally cut, does it pose a problem and does it make BF agonisingly painful at times? Bf and teeth..... Affraid Or do they just 'know' not to bite? (wishful thinking??)

Share your experiences with me ........ I want to be prepared!!

kaygeebee

Female Number of posts : 127
Tell us about yourself : mum to a little boy, born August 2009
Your mood today : Bored
Thanks and Reputation points : 4
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Bf and teeth..... Empty Re: Bf and teeth.....

Post by Natasha Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:45 pm

Olivia never Bit me, I breastfed her for just over a year.

She nipped a few times and I was abit sore when her teeth came in, but it was never a huge issue.

Although some women do experience biting, there are many ways to tackle this but its not worth the worry.

I often recommend giving them frozen booby ice lollys before feeds just to take the edge off for the sore gums which is mainly the only reason the bite.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:21 pm

I found that when Corey was teething, he went through a stage of 'gumming' me at the end of a feed - it hurt like hell, and i was terrified he would continue with teeth.
Strangely, once he cut teeth, he never did it again!
Occassionally, if he falls asleep on the boob and i dont unlatch him, he can clamp down a little - but you soon learn from that!

I'm not sure if you got a good look at Corey when we were at EJ's, but he has broken front teeth due to a fall. It was initially a little uncomfy if he grazed me, but even that hasnt been an issue for us.

Dont get me wrong - some will and do bite - we've had the stories on here! I think its the way you handle it that makes the difference x
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:29 pm

I found when Emily was teething she would grind slightly and made me sore,i made sure i put Lanishoh on between each feed which helped loads,she did bite occasionally & best thing to do ispush them into the boob they will learn very quickly that if they do it they cant breathe,its quick so wont hurt baby & i know it sounds a bit cruel but its perfectly ok & stops them after a couple of times. If you yelp ouch or scream etc they find it very amusing & so it again & again !!
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:32 pm

My DS has a full set of teeth. I found whenever he cut a new tooth, bfing would become somewhat more uncomfortable but once he'd adjusted his latch it would be find.

Try taking your baby off if s/he starts biting, saying "no" firmly, then offering the boob again. I've been told this method can work.

Drusilla

Female Number of posts : 244
Tell us about yourself : People who have kids by more than 3 different men are SLAGS. They don't give a shit about the welfare of their children, otherwise they would be keeping their bloody legs shut and creating a STABLE environment for their kids, either in a stable relationship or as a single mother - because single mothers are perfectly capable of being fantastic parents. If you want to sleep around use some fucking contraception until you are sure your partner is in it for the long haul, it is not fucking difficult. Kids need stability - they don't need a succession of men coming in and out of their life.
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by kaygeebee Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Interesting! Thanks guys. I do sometimes have an issue now if he is overtired that he will try and 'shake' my nipple - like dog with a bone! Ouch!! I've used both methods mentioned above quite naturally - holding in, and unlatching and keeping boobies (if at the end of a feed) with a firm 'NO!' - It's been happenning less and less, so I guess we will find a way to deal if it becomes an issue.

kaygeebee

Female Number of posts : 127
Tell us about yourself : mum to a little boy, born August 2009
Your mood today : Bored
Thanks and Reputation points : 4
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:39 am

Bf and teeth..... 262538
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:04 pm

Lil miss was a biter but Tia wasn't. I think it depends on the kid really. The most pain where bfing and teeth were concerned was when lil miss chipped her front tooth... That was rather uncomfortable as there was a sharp bit to it. Sad
Squiglet
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by rhi'smummy Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:25 am

Rhianna went through a phase of biting, but I think she must have been at least one and she used to bite me on the leg as well, I tried several things, but in the end the thing that worked best for us was to watch her after she'd been feeding for a while and keep my little finger close by, so as soon as I could tell she was getting bored and was about to, I'd take her off and remind her in a gentle way that biting was not nice. it depends why they do it, for her it was being bored, or if I was distracted like watching tv when she wanted my attention.
We had the slight grazes when she was falling asleep, but generally they dont bite or hurt without a reason.
Good luck with the teething Bf and teeth..... Icon_biggrin
rhi'smummy
rhi'smummy

Female Number of posts : 511
Tell us about yourself : Mum to milk monster Rhianna
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down