Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many times a day does your LO feed?

+2
piesmummy2006
jools
6 posters

Go down

How many times a day does your LO feed? Empty How many times a day does your LO feed?

Post by jools Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:25 am

Just curious really!

Brody is just having his bedtime milk and one in the night still.
I'm just worried as he falls asleep feeding still and I'm just wondering if he will ever drop it as I just can't see him falling asleep without it!

Also, if he wakes in the night (most nights just once) he will not go back to sleep until he has had milk! I try seeing if he is just thirsty and give him some water and he either has a sip then wants milk or just refuses the water altogether!

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy to carry on feeding him but I just can't see him ever wanting to give these 2 feeds up! Laughing I have visions of feeding him to sleep when he's too big to fit on my knee! Laughing
jools
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

How many times a day does your LO feed? Empty Re: How many times a day does your LO feed?

Post by piesmummy2006 Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:20 pm

i have no tips hun just thought i would tell you niamh is the same (not often waking in the night tho) her fave feed is night but she is still feeding in the day too for naps (only on days thur fri and wk end as there my days off) she wont sleep without it either. oh and she is too big for my knee now! Laughing xx
piesmummy2006
piesmummy2006

Female Number of posts : 2089
Tell us about yourself : i would say i am a yummy mummy to Niamh nearly 2 (who i am still breast feeding), and a childrens student nurse!!!!!
Your mood today : Naughty
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

How many times a day does your LO feed? Empty Re: How many times a day does your LO feed?

Post by nickyjones Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:08 pm

I was the same when Ellie was that age. As to the nIght TIme feeds, have you tried sending Daddy in when he wakes? We did this with Ellie and discovered that if Daddy went in and gave her a cuddle she went straight back to sleep. If I went in she demanded a feed.

As to dropping the feed before sleeping. For quite a few months now, I have been taking a beaker of milk up with us before bed and offering it to her before, after and during the breast feed. The last couple of nights she has had a little bit of feed (less last night), and then given me my top back and had the beaker. I am hoping she is starting to feel, like she doesn't need a breast feed any more. We will see how it goes tonight.

nickyjones

Female Number of posts : 221
Tell us about yourself :
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:36 pm

Im no use to advise at all :haha: but does he still have a daytime nap, and if so, how does he drop off then?
Also, although it is cows milk from a bottle and not breast, Jamie & Ty would only go to sleep with a bottle of milk til about 2 1/2!
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:25 pm

Thanks everyone :aww:

I feel better knowing it's quite normal for him to still be wanting it! The idea about sending Daddy in is a good one but sometimes Brody doesn't wake up until Kev has already gone to work (he sometimes goes in as early as 4am) I will just try everything before offering milk and let him give it up when he feels ready!

I will also try the beaker idea once he has given up the feed during the night I think! Does that sound ok?

I guess I'm just starting to get a bit defensive as I was asked again today if I was STILL breastfeeding and the looks I get when I say yes Mad Brody is quite big for his age and I'm sure people must think he is alot older than he is!

Kay the sleep thing is a whole other story Rolling Eyes he is a terrible sleeper and always has been. He has only just started only waking once a night! It was about 5 times a night until recently so I can't complain! The only way we can get him to have a nap in the day is by reclining his highchair and rocking it! affraid Or he will sleep in the car if we go out. Otherwise he will fight sleep all day and be grumpy and nodding off in his tea! Rolling Eyes
jools
jools

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:13 pm

Both of mine were terrible - they have only just started sleeping through now! In fact, Corey is better than they have ever been!

I think it is fantastic that you are still feeding him hun - carry on as long as you feel comfy and Brody wants to - he is still a baby at the end of the day :aww:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by nichola Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:37 am

:aww: I know what you mean about feeling defensive . I experienced the ssame thing when Emily turned 1 and I was "still" feeding her.

Someone even told me that there was no nutrition in breastmilk once the baby was 1!

I read a book called "mothering your nursing toddler" it really helped me to realise I did want to keep on feeding her and that there were very good reasons to carry on. For example it is still really good for there immunity as there own immune systems still aren't fully up and running and also emotionally a toddler gets lots of benefit from breastfeeding.

There can be alot of pressure in our society to make babies independent but children grow into inependence in their own time and sometimes trying to force idependence too soon can make them more clingy.

It is only in our part of the world that breastfeeding past 1 is considered a bit strange in the rest of the world it is quite normal!

The world health organisation reccomends breastfeeding for at least 2 years and then for aslong as mother and child both want to.

I symathise with the sleep thing too mine were all the same but again be reassured that it is normal to be waking at night at his age and feeding through the night too. If it helps my 2 eldest are great sleepers now!

:aww: you are doing a great job!

Nichola x

nichola
BreastBuddies
BreastBuddies

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:50 pm

Thanks so much again I feel loads better now! :aww:

The book sounds interesting I think I'll have a look for it! Very Happy

:aww: :aww: :aww:
jools
jools

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:42 pm

:aww: Jools your doing so well, I would of been quite happy to go on longer if Oli wanted to, Brody must be enjoying his mommies milk very much.

Your doing the right thing by following his lead hun, in my opinion you cant go far wrong doing that :aww:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down