Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tips for new mums

2 posters

Go down

Tips for new mums Empty Tips for new mums

Post by Natasha Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:44 pm

If anyone would like to put some tips on what they think would benefit new Breastfeeding mums

Please post here Very Happy

I will start Very Happy

I highly recommend Lanisnoh - it prevents sore nips and can be left on while feeding :boob:

Last edited by on Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Tips for new mums Empty Re: Tips for new mums

Post by EmB Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:37 pm

My top tips would be

1) Get the midwives to help you latch on every time in the beginning (I tried to go it alone and ended up with painful cracked nipples).

2) Get the midwives to show you different holds so that if you do experience discomfort you can relieve it by offering a different part of your breast

3) Put out of your mind ideas about lo having a 'feed' then sleeping for hours. It is more like an all-day milk bar! They tend to feed for ages, drop to sleep, then wake up pretty soon afterwards and you will say "He/she can't possibly need feeding again!" but lo's are programmed to feed regularly to get your milk supply up, so please don't feel that you haven't got enough to satisfy them. My lo was over 9lb when she was born, and has followed the 91st centile being 100% bf until six months - she was often hungry, fed frequently, but once I had got it out of my head that feeding frequently is good not bad I didn't look back!

4) Feed lying down at night-time - less tiring for you, and comfier in the winter!

5) Eat lots and drink plenty of fluids. It can be easy to forget your own meals when you are so busy, but you absolutely have to make time to eat yourself. Lo won't suffer, but you will! You'll feel exhausted by the end of the day anyway, but without proper meals inside you... just don't go there!

6) Don't worry if your lo seems to feed him/herself to sleep - you won't be making a 'rod for your own back' - just enjoy this special time. After a few months lo will feel much more secure and will be happier to go to sleep by him/herself.

7) Ask friends who have bf anything - you will generally find they are so helpful and supportive, and please don't feel alone. I've told my pregnant friends to ring me anytime day or night if they have any probs with bf - the worst thing would be to stop and regret it. If you choose to stop bf and feel you and your lo are better for it, then that is fine, but if you feel you will have regrets you must must must ask around - HV, friends etc, but beware of people who mean well (i.e. they don't like to see you suffer) and go straight to suggesting formula. People who have bf can often suggest things to try that you might not have thought of, whereas people who haven't often say "It's not worth it" and reach straight for the formula. As I said, if you choose to stop and have no regrets then you are doing the right thing. Nobody regrets breastfeeding, people some (not all!) people do regret making the choice to formula feed - if you think that might be you, then ASK ASK ASK!

Cool Develop a thick skin because as soon as lo is born people will start asking you when you plan to stop bf. Don't expect people to say that you're doing a brilliant job, because they invariably don't. They say things like 'He/she can't need feeding again?' and think that you are a bit crazy for wanting to carry on with bf. Do it for as long as YOU want to.

9) Feed wherever you want to and don't let people make you feel awkward about it, particularly in your own home. If visitors feel uncomfortable let them be the ones to leave - you have to focus on what you're doing.

10) Join a bf support group and enjoy chatting to like-minded people who have all been there.

Good luck to you all xx

EmB

Number of posts : 2
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:03 pm

some great advice there... :boob:

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:05 pm

EmB wrote:My top tips would be

1) Get the midwives to help you latch on every time in the beginning (I tried to go it alone and ended up with painful cracked nipples).

2) Get the midwives to show you different holds so that if you do experience discomfort you can relieve it by offering a different part of your breast

3) Put out of your mind ideas about lo having a 'feed' then sleeping for hours. It is more like an all-day milk bar! They tend to feed for ages, drop to sleep, then wake up pretty soon afterwards and you will say "He/she can't possibly need feeding again!" but lo's are programmed to feed regularly to get your milk supply up, so please don't feel that you haven't got enough to satisfy them. My lo was over 9lb when she was born, and has followed the 91st centile being 100% bf until six months - she was often hungry, fed frequently, but once I had got it out of my head that feeding frequently is good not bad I didn't look back!

4) Feed lying down at night-time - less tiring for you, and comfier in the winter!

5) Eat lots and drink plenty of fluids. It can be easy to forget your own meals when you are so busy, but you absolutely have to make time to eat yourself. Lo won't suffer, but you will! You'll feel exhausted by the end of the day anyway, but without proper meals inside you... just don't go there!

6) Don't worry if your lo seems to feed him/herself to sleep - you won't be making a 'rod for your own back' - just enjoy this special time. After a few months lo will feel much more secure and will be happier to go to sleep by him/herself.

7) Ask friends who have bf anything - you will generally find they are so helpful and supportive, and please don't feel alone. I've told my pregnant friends to ring me anytime day or night if they have any probs with bf - the worst thing would be to stop and regret it. If you choose to stop bf and feel you and your lo are better for it, then that is fine, but if you feel you will have regrets you must must must ask around - HV, friends etc, but beware of people who mean well (i.e. they don't like to see you suffer) and go straight to suggesting formula. People who have bf can often suggest things to try that you might not have thought of, whereas people who haven't often say "It's not worth it" and reach straight for the formula. As I said, if you choose to stop and have no regrets then you are doing the right thing. Nobody regrets breastfeeding, people some (not all!) people do regret making the choice to formula feed - if you think that might be you, then ASK ASK ASK!

Cool Develop a thick skin because as soon as lo is born people will start asking you when you plan to stop bf. Don't expect people to say that you're doing a brilliant job, because they invariably don't. They say things like 'He/she can't need feeding again?' and think that you are a bit crazy for wanting to carry on with bf. Do it for as long as YOU want to.

9) Feed wherever you want to and don't let people make you feel awkward about it, particularly in your own home. If visitors feel uncomfortable let them be the ones to leave - you have to focus on what you're doing.

10) Join a bf support group and enjoy chatting to like-minded people who have all been there.

Good luck to you all xx

EmB that's brilliant advice:D

cheers

Thank you!
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down