Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how much to express?

5 posters

Go down

how much to express? Empty how much to express?

Post by claireea Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:24 pm

hi everyone! i have been breast feeding for 4 weeks and in 3 weeks am due to go a wedding so want to express so someone can look after my baby girl. what i need to know is how much you all think she will need and how will not feeding her for that day affect my supply?

claireea

Number of posts : 37
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

how much to express? Empty Re: how much to express?

Post by Kasia80 Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:58 pm

You will need one once of milk per hour you are gone; so if you are going to be away for 3 hours you need 3-4 oz, 5 hours- 5-6 oz, if you are going away for 8 hours leave 8-9 oz; it is good to leave cuple of oz to spare or accidents. its best to leave milk in 2 oz portions then if baby won't finish it all not much will be wated. You could start expressing now and freeze what you pump.

For when you are away from baby I would suggest taking breast pump with you. Yous supply is still establishing and whole day of not bf might be at least not comfortable Wink
Breastmilk is fine to be kept in fridge up to 7 days, just pop it at the back so temperature is even, not on the door. You can also freeze it in freezer. In freeze-fridge milk will keep for 3-6 months and in separate deep freezer 6 up to 12 months.
To warm milk up just leave it out for a while or pop in a cup of hot water, never in microvawe or on the stove. When milk is left to stand fr a while or defrosted you'll find it might separate- layer of cream will set on the top. Usually warming milk and gently swilrling it around helps, don't shake it.

And have fun Wink :aww:
Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:18 am

It might be an idea to try her with a bottle of expressed milk before hand - we went out for an anniversary meal and Corey refused his bottle of EBM totally - i had to go home to nurse him Rolling Eyes
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:47 am

Or use cup or spoon instead of bottle whatsoever- some babies never take bottle, but love cup, syringe and droppler:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/alternative-feeding.html
Kasia80
Kasia80

Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:50 am

Katie does the 1oz an hour apply no matter what their age?
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:09 pm

emmiesmummy wrote:Katie does the 1oz an hour apply no matter what their age?
yes, no matter the age.Very Happy
Kasia80
Kasia80

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:17 pm

Kasia80 wrote:Or use cup or spoon instead of bottle whatsoever- some babies never take bottle, but love cup, syringe and droppler:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/alternative-feeding.html

Have to say lil miss won't drink from the bottle... she will only take ebm from cup or spoon or beaker. Rolling Eyes I work 8:30 till 3:30 and lil miss will take around 4/5 oz.... but she goes on milk strike if I'm not around so be warned...
Squiglet
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down