Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So confused about what to do

+3
Natasha
angpixi
TashaAndBump
7 posters

Go down

So confused about what to do Empty So confused about what to do

Post by TashaAndBump Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 pm

I had planned to let Anna self-wean, or start to wean her if she hadn't done so by the age of two.
So now I am wondering why all of a sudden, just because I am pregnant, do I feel that I need to stop breastfeeding her? She will only be 22 months old when baby gets here... It seems so young - especially as Anna is so little and I can tell she gets so much strength, goodness and comfort from my milk.

Now I don't know what to do. I feel so much pressure to stop feeding her - not just from others but from myself as well and I don't know what that's about!

I have some concerns - but they have mostly been alleviated from doing research (and joining this forum!) - I was concerned about my milk for the new baby and whether it would be what s/he needed, but I have now learnt that breast milk reverts to colostrum despite a baby feeding - in preparation for the birth of your new baby... so that is not a problem - As I understand it, because of the hormonal changes you go through in pregnancy the milk will still be just right for your newborn baby, right?

So now I am thinking do I wean Anna half way through this pregnancy? I can't wean her after the baby is here or else she might get jealous and blame the new baby for her being her pushed out and weaned? It might make weaning more traumatic? So my only options are... to stop soon or...

dun dun dun

Carry on breastfeeding BOTH babies after the birth. The more I think about it, the more this appeals... I could keep going until Anna was two like I planned to before I was pregnant... and then that would give me 2 months after the baby came along to start thinking about weaning, she would have the comfort from my breast, still feel bonded to me and not feel pushed out by baby #2 because she still got booby cuddles? Could this even help alleviate some of the notorious sibling rivalry and jealousy that you hear of as families grow?

I want to do it. I already know this in my heart. But I don't know if I have the guts Embarassed I know I will get zero support and people will think I am weird Sad

Arrgghhh I dunnnnooo what too dooooooooo.....

Last edited by TashaAndBump on Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
TashaAndBump
TashaAndBump

Female Number of posts : 121
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Anna (17 months old) Pregnant with identical twins! Smile

Due 29th January - Can't wait to breastfeed babies 2 and 3 :-) Anna stopped breastfeeding at 16 months 2 weeks.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

So confused about what to do Empty Re: So confused about what to do

Post by angpixi Mon May 25, 2009 7:58 pm

i know exactly where youre coming from, i felt like this too, i felt like i was being pressured into stopping even though before i was pg i hadnt planned to. i guess i was lucky in that Aeryn stopped of her own accord just before willow was born even though i was prepared to bf as long as she wanted.
you could just take it as it comes and see how it goes. as she gets older her feeding patterns will change anyway she might tail off naturally or just stick to bedtime/morning feeds. wharever you decide remember its your choice and noone elses business. you will have plenty of support off here! and surprisingly there are some health professionals that are all for it too Laughing hth :aww:
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by TashaAndBump Mon May 25, 2009 8:17 pm

Oh thank God! Hubby has said he will support me in whatever I feel is best! Very Happy

So now I think I will try to cut down Anna's feeds to night and morning if she hasn't already done so by 5 months into the pregnancy, and then she can have a night and moning feed after baby is born for however long she wants Smile Nobody else will even know so it won't be an issue lol

Thank you for the encouragement Smile
TashaAndBump
TashaAndBump

Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Anna (17 months old) Pregnant with identical twins! Smile

Due 29th January - Can't wait to breastfeed babies 2 and 3 :-) Anna stopped breastfeeding at 16 months 2 weeks.

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Mon May 25, 2009 9:48 pm

youre very welcome :aww: and cheers for hubby Very Happy
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Tue May 26, 2009 7:47 am

:aww:

From whatI have read from other mothers experiences, some self wean anyway.

Its upto you though, if you feel happy to carry on and go with the flow then do that. I think its one of these things where you 'suck it and see' (no pun intended) :boob:

She may make that decision for you or she may want to carry on, I think its best to tackle anything at the time if your going to just let her carry on :aww:

Here is some great infor on tandem feeding and pregnancy.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/tandem/index.html
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafiki Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:01 pm

I'd go for the "time will show" version, too.

My older daughter was 2 years old when my second daughter was born.
During pregnancy, I had sometimes hoped that the older one (her name's Anna Wink ) would self-wean.. but she didn't. And I felt it was okay also because I didn't want her to be jealous. What happened was that I almost "ran out of milk" towards the end of the pregnancy.
Still, Anna continued demanding her "diddi" as she calls it.
When the younger one, Maria, was born she had what you'd call suckling difficulties - no idea why. So I encouraged the older one to suck because I wanted the moment when the milk came in to be as smooth as possible. After four or five days Maria learnt how to drink and I found myself tandem nursing :-)
We've had a great time since then until recently when Anna, now 3 1/2 years old, decided to self-wean.
I hope this will encourage you to just "let your children proceed" - they'll do what is right anyway :-)

Rafiki

Female Number of posts : 6
Tell us about yourself : working mom :-)
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by rhi'smummy Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:36 pm

I know this was started a while back, so I'm just wondering hows it going and if you decided to do anything or just go with the flow.
rhi'smummy
rhi'smummy

Female Number of posts : 511
Tell us about yourself : Mum to milk monster Rhianna
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by TashaAndBump Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:18 pm

We just went with the flow and I am glad Very Happy As it turned out I am expecting twins so don't think tandem feeding would have worked out, athough was considering keeping her night feed up if she wanted.... As it is Anna just sponteniously stopped nursing about 5 days ago. She's just not inerested anymore. I'm almost a bit sad about it, but my nipples were getting a bit sore so I'm a bit relieved too! lol We made it to 16.5 months before she stopped so I don't think we did too badly Smile
TashaAndBump
TashaAndBump

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:27 pm

cheers

congratulations! well done on reaching 16 months whilst carrying twins! and well done on self weaning - you should be very very proud! :bighug:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by rhi'smummy Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:30 am

Well done, must have been lovely being able to let her choose. How far pregnant were you when she stopped? I'm sure it was different with twins, but I'm interested in when in pregnancy the milk changes.
rhi'smummy
rhi'smummy

Female Number of posts : 511
Tell us about yourself : Mum to milk monster Rhianna
Your mood today : Happy
Registration date : 2007-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:52 am

TashaAndBump wrote:We just went with the flow and I am glad Very Happy As it turned out I am expecting twins so don't think tandem feeding would have worked out, athough was considering keeping her night feed up if she wanted.... As it is Anna just sponteniously stopped nursing about 5 days ago. She's just not inerested anymore. I'm almost a bit sad about it, but my nipples were getting a bit sore so I'm a bit relieved too! lol We made it to 16.5 months before she stopped so I don't think we did too badly Smile

cheers Well done hun, great she did it on her own :aww:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:55 pm

It is lovely that you could continue long enough for her to self wean - esp with carrying twins - well done xxx
ldnug
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by TashaAndBump Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:09 pm

rhi'smummy wrote:Well done, must have been lovely being able to let her choose. How far pregnant were you when she stopped? I'm sure it was different with twins, but I'm interested in when in pregnancy the milk changes.

Hey, I'm 17 weeks pregnant now. Anna stopped breastfeeding at 16 weeks, but my milk supply has plummeted and the milk has turned very watery... That's probably why, but the time this happens in each pregnancy is probably different?
TashaAndBump
TashaAndBump

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down