Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nervous about breastfeeding

5 posters

Go down

topic2 Nervous about breastfeeding

Post by Susieq74 Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:30 am

My second child is due in 3 weeks. I am really keen to breastfeed again, but afraid of having a repeat of my last experience.

I got off to a good start with breastfeeding my daughter, now 18 months. I got to 2 weeks and started getting very sore nipples that eventually started to bleed. It was so excruciating that I had to start using a bottle until they healed. I tried various creams and the avent nipple shields but found it really difficult getting back in to the feeding. From the start my daughter had problems with latching on as her mouth would not open wide enough. I would also constantly leak in the night, which just added to the pain. After 4 months I realised I couldn't continue. The health clinics that I visited to get me daughter weighed were more bothered about how little weight my daughter was gaining than actually helping or encouraging me. I received more support from my male doctor! My health visitor suggested that I visit a breastfeeding group. I had a c-section and unable to drive to groups. I didn't know it at the time, but I was suffering from postnatal depression and struggled to be around people (even family and friends). My daughter was 9lb 8oz at birth, which made it difficult for me to obtain a good comfortable position after my section. It didn't matter how many pillows I used, I couldn't stop myself from stooping over and getting very sore shoulders and neck.

I want to take a different approach with my second baby. I'm hoping I can receive some useful advice to avoid the same problems that I had before, as I would like to breastfeed for as long as possible. I will be going back to work when my daughter is 7 months old and didn't know if I could still breastfeed with working 4 days a week at 7 and a half hours a day, or would my supply dry up. I can't imagine I will get time to express whilst at work and privacy will be a problem.

I have bought a baby sling as I thought this would help me with breastfeeding in public, as well as helping me to gain a good posture. only time will tell.

If anyone has any useful advice for me, I would love to hear from you. I really want to give my children the best start in life.

Susieq74

Female Number of posts : 9
Tell us about yourself : I am 35 with 2 children 18 months apart. My youngest being 10 weeks old. I had a lot of difficulty bf my oldest when she was born, therefore bf and formula fed after the first 2 weeks for 4 months at which point I just used formula. When my son was born I as determined to bf exclusively. I am very proud to say that I have acheived this and still going strong.
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2009-09-12

Back to top Go down

topic2 Re: Nervous about breastfeeding

Post by angpixi Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:17 am

hi again! first of all well done for your determination!
one thing i will say after bf 5 babies is, not one of them has been the same! with two of mine i had extremely sore nipples, one of them like yours had a small mouth and and so was difficult to latch, positioning is important there are a few links and posts on this site to help you etablish good positioning.
we also have plenty of tips on expressing and massaging to help with your comfort too!
there are also lots of ladies who work and still manage to bf whether its cluster feeding in the morning and evening or just through night or if you can manage to express at some point, when the time comes you will work out a way that suits you and baby best.
i think thats all i can say for now! except we're here for you whatever the problem and will try to work it out with you
some of the others may have some more tips or advice soon Nervous about breastfeeding 68469 Nervous about breastfeeding 68469
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:21 am

Nervous about breastfeeding 68469 hugs, didn't want to read and run

I'll will pop on later and reply as ive got a very fussy baby trying to feed
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:34 am

First of all, all breastfeeding experiences are different.

I have managed to breastfeed my children, but both are very different.

I was much more relaxed about breastfeeding this time as it wasn't so 'alien' so that really helps.

The most important thing you need to do is have no expectations! no point in planning and no point in really worrying.
Just have it in your head that yes, I faced problems last time but it doesn;t mean I will this time and I will succeed.

Make sure you have some lanisinoh in, and conact your local breastfeeding support group (your midwife should be able to help you find one) and find as much support as you can around you (including us Nervous about breastfeeding Icon_wink )

I hope I don't come across harsh, but your next baby will be very different, and you may face different problems, but they are only small and easily overcome with the right support Nervous about breastfeeding 68469

As for returning to work, usualy around that age they may have started solids and feeds are a lot smaller in the day I found.
But its hard to tell until you are there.

Your supply wouldn't dry up, but you may need to pump during your work hours.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:32 pm

I just wanted to add to that I think its great you are so determind to do it and try again, and I/we will all be here to help with any problems you may (or may not!) face Nervous about breastfeeding 989699

Plus you did a fantastic job getting to 4 months! wow you should be very proud of yourself Nervous about breastfeeding 989699
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Susieq74 Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Thank you both. Your words are very encouraging.

I will remain positive and and looking forward to the new experience. I already have a huge supply of lansinoh Nervous about breastfeeding 359208 Nervous about breastfeeding Icon_biggrin

Now I'll just need to focus on getting through the last two weeks of my pregnancy.

Nervous about breastfeeding 641147

Susieq74

Tell us about yourself : I am 35 with 2 children 18 months apart. My youngest being 10 weeks old. I had a lot of difficulty bf my oldest when she was born, therefore bf and formula fed after the first 2 weeks for 4 months at which point I just used formula. When my son was born I as determined to bf exclusively. I am very proud to say that I have acheived this and still going strong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:56 pm

Nervous about breastfeeding 68469 Oh hun I am sure you will be fine and I am looking forqard to hearing about the birth.

Oh it brings back mine! wish I could do it again! Nervous about breastfeeding 68469
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyjones Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:31 pm

On the expressing at work, you said that you wouldn't have time and privacy would be an issue. They have to allow you time and provide facilities for your express if you return to work as a nursing mum. I will try and find the link detailing your rights, and post is later.

nickyjones

Female Number of posts : 221
Tell us about yourself :
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Susieq74 Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:05 pm

Thank you for the last post. I was unaware of my rights at work around this issue. If it can be done, I will see how that works out. Hopefully the long days at work won't pose as too much of a problem.

Susieq74

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:11 am

Nervous about breastfeeding Icon_cheers well done Susie your more likely to succedd this time as your here !! Finding support & knowledge from mums that have experienced all the ups & downs is your key to success.Never think a question is too silly or that your supply isnt feeding baby enough because of a chart !

I only managed a matter of weeks breastfeeding my first two children,i got mastitas with both and under 'medical' advice stopped as was told i couldnt carry on & it was unfair on baby as it was going hungry. I know know since having my third child & having the support from this group that this is complete poppycock... I have had mastitas 3 times with Emily aswell as countless other problems and by takling them early and knowing what to do to help myself i have not only continued to feed but Emily will soon be TWO years old & im still going strong. She was constantly below the recommended chart weight but is healthy & thriving.

I would practise different feeding positions too ,i found as i had large boobs and a c-section that lying in bed was easiest for me & it meant i actually rested too. Also dont think as you struggled last time you will this time too,make sure you watch some videos(you tube) on latching as often we are in such a panic even though its hurting we leave baby attached as we are just happy he/she is feeding,but its better to take them off and relatch even if you have to do it a few times as this will stop alot of 'ouch' nipple problems.

Good luck & remember to ask anything ,someone will be able to help xx
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyjones Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:17 pm

nickyjones

Female Number of posts : 221
Tell us about yourself :
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Susieq74 Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:37 am

Thanks for the link Nicky. I'll have a look at this and weigh up my options.

My 'son' was born on 29th Oct. He weighed 9lb 10oz and his appetite reflects this. I have been breastfeeding his since his birth, despite a difficult labour, which ended in yet another c-section. I have been so relaxed this time round. I only had to stay in hospital 1 day after the section and was moving around much more quickly this time. The support I received from the hospital staff was amazing and, by respecting my wishes and keeping me informed, really helped me to bond with my baby. The bf hasn't been easy by any means. He has a tiny mouth, which has caused me a great deal of pain. I have tried many different positions, until I found one that suited us both and I've stuck with it. I'm determined to see it through this time. I have kept visitors away so that I can get the feeds right and catch up on sleep whenever I can. My husband has also been extremely supportive. He has helped so much with our daughter and the housework. He's even learning to cook. Aaron has been such an easy baby. He sleeps most of the time and only wakes to feed. He lost only an ounce in his first week, which has given me the confidence that I must be doing something right.

I will continue to connect with this site as I feel that the advice I have received so far has been very useful and beneficial. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

xx

Susieq74

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:06 pm

Nervous about breastfeeding 871924 well done on your determination and well done to hubby for helping out and being supportive!
my 4th had a small mouth and the latch was difficult at first but i ended up feeding her for 2+ years, it was very painful for the first while though!
dont be a stranger and whenever you have a question however small or silly it may seem do come on here for support xx Nervous about breastfeeding 129911
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum