Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The need to knead

2 posters

Go down

The need to knead Empty The need to knead

Post by Kasia80 Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:04 am

http://web.archive.org/web/20000919174254/http://www.kjsl.com/~boynews/needtoknead.html

One of the most common nursing complaints I have heard from women is that their children like to knead, pinch, pat, squeeze or hold their breasts while nursing.� The all time favorite of children is to play with or �twiddle� the opposite nipple. Women also have different reactions to these touches from liking them to outright revulsion.

Why are these touches so common?� Why is it so difficult to stop children from doing these things?� Playing with the breasts while nursing is so common in children throughout different cultures that it must fill some sort of need or instinct.� I have heard the following theories:

• Kneading at the breast and playing with the nipple helps with the let down of the milk.� In other words, children instinctively work at the breasts while nursing in order to increase the mother�s milk supply and the speed at which the milk is delivered.� I consider this to be the most likely explanation, especially since my own four-year-old endorses it.

• The child is making a proprietary claim on the mother�s breasts.� She wishes to possess them, even the one that is not in use.� This can be seen when a child likes to hold onto the nipple with her hand even when not nursing.

• The rhythmic motion is comforting to the child, especially when the child is tired and trying to fall asleep.�

• It increases the soothing nature of the nursing experience.� Now the child not only tastes the sweet warm milk, smells the mother�s comforting scent, hears the mother�s rhythmic heartbeat and sees the mother�s face, he can also extend his sense of touch beyond just his lips to include his hands against the mother�s skin.� The whole experience becomes more encompassing.

Regardless of the cause of the touching, it is clear that this behavior is deeply ingrained and instinctive.� This is what makes it so difficult to stop.� What can women do to prevent uncomfortable touching? The advice for dealing with these problems usually ranges from never allowing the child to touch the breasts under any circumstances, to simply allowing him to do whatever he wants.� Often women will allow some forms of touching and forbid others.� Some women will give the child a special cloth or string of beads to manipulate while nursing, rather than the mother�s breast.� In most cases, mothers and children can eventually come to a mutually acceptable compromise.
Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

The need to knead Empty Re: The need to knead

Post by Kasia80 Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:06 am

Kasia80
Kasia80

Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:30 pm

bailey tends to do this, except he squeezes the boob hes feeding from.. :pml:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:56 pm

yeah, Fiona, Maya is doing this too...I really believe it is instinct, like kittens when nurse from cat...LOL, she even has claws today, will not let me cut them! Rolling Eyes
Kasia80
Kasia80

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:19 pm

Oh Olivia wont let me near hers! and I try when shes asleep but no it don't work, she has talons Shocked

Yes this definetly Olivia, she slaps them and pushes on my boobs, I did think it was to encourage a let down, very clever babies Cool
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum