Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice please!!

+3
angpixi
kay
ldnug
7 posters

Go down

topic2 Advice please!!

Post by ldnug Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:13 pm

Connor has to go to the hosp yesterday for a hearing assessment and they have told me his hearing is very limited due to glue ear! They said h is walking around in a cotton wool world Crying or Very sad I felt so guilty as i suspected it for a few months and wasn't sure!

On top of that the consultant said he has inflammed nasal passage, enlarged adenoids, tonsils and glands and he recommended surgery to remove the tonsils and adenoids and insert grommits to drain th fluid.

The reservation i have is that he is very young and the consultant has said that it is a painful recovery period. He has to eat rough food six hours after surgery to reduce the risk of infection and blood clots and i am worried he will refuse to do this .

He is probably going to be four when he has the operation but i am not sure he is mature enough to undertstand the need to eat and the pain etc.

We have been told we can put it off for a year but is this just delaying the inevitable and putting him thrugh a year of reduced hearing and painful tonsiitis throughout the winter months!?

Iw ould just like some advice really - does anyone know a child who has had these procedures?

scratch
ldnug
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

topic2 Re: Advice please!!

Post by kay Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:38 pm

Aww poor connor! :aww:

My nephew has had similer procedures - started when he was 3. he had limited speech, so they did hearing tests and it was similar probs to connor. He had his 1st op at 4, and has had 2 since (he is 12 now). He didnt have to have the tonsils out though.
My sister is glad he had the 1st op at a young age - he just 'got on with it' during the recovery period. As he got older, he was more conscious of it all, and anticipated what was going to happen etc.

Have you spoke to the doc about their recommendations on age and recovery etc?

I think it would be better before he starts f/t school too :aww:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:14 am

i agree with kay, my friends daughter had the op i think she was 4 or 5 and just got on with it, she also had a lazy eye corrected around the same time, her mam said she thaught it was better shed got it done as soon as poss and she recovered well from it- shes 16 now and only remembers the playroom in the hospital!!! saying that ozzy who is now 15 was in and out of hospital as a child because of his chronic eczema and asthma only remembers the toys and the squeeky beds, his worst period was around 4 and he loved the attention and the playroom. i often think that its worse for us mums cos we are aware of whats going on and kids see it more as an adventure even though obviously it will involve pain the outcome is worth it. :aww: :aww: :aww: :aww:
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:04 am

just wanted to send some hugs :aww: :aww: :aww: :aww:
piesmummy2006
piesmummy2006

Female Number of posts : 2089
Tell us about yourself : i would say i am a yummy mummy to Niamh nearly 2 (who i am still breast feeding), and a childrens student nurse!!!!!
Your mood today : Naughty
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:10 am

piesmummy2006 wrote:just wanted to send some hugs :aww: :aww: :aww: :aww:

Me too! Poor little fella
:aww: :aww: :aww: :aww: :aww:
jools
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:42 pm

:aww: Thanks for the advice and support girlies.

We have decided to go ahead and i will phone the consultant to arrange the op.

He did say it would be 4-5 days of quite bad pain for him and then two weeks full recovery time. The only complications is if he won't eat.

I spoke to my aunt whose son had the op at a similar age and she said def go ahead and said the same about schooling as u did Kay.

I have weighed pros and cons and the op seems the best for him. It will be hard to watch him go down for op but that is just me being a mum i suppose i have to look at the bigger picture.

Thanks again - it is nice to hear the opinions of other mums!! :group hug:
ldnug
ldnug

Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:27 pm

:aww: :aww:
I agree that we as mummies take things much worse - i think we anticipate the worse and try and feel their pain - and its probably never half as bad as we anticipate it to be!
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:53 pm

The poor little man :aww:

I really hope he makes a speedy recovery after hes had the op.

I just wanted to say though as you may not be aware that there are alternatives and of course totaly upto you if you wish to try them

A little report I have found among many
www.wddty.com/03363800372578164884/glue-ear-otitis-media.html+natural+alrernative+for+glue+ear&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:44PKS_XESYcJ:www.wddty.com/03363800372578164884/glue-ear-otitis-media.html+natural+alrernative+for+glue+ear&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

And what I have read to be quite effective

http://www.100percentnature.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=HBBC0120

http://www.100percentnature.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=SLH0300

Like I said totaly upto you :aww:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:48 pm

Thanks for those Tasha.

If it were just his ears i would be tempted to try those alternatives as i really wanted to avoid the op but as it is his entire ear/nose and throat system i think the op is the best option for him.

He has been back to the dr today as he has the most enormous swollen gland and he says he wants to be able to swallow again (bless him!!) Crying or Very sad

I phoned the hospital today and he is on the waiting list and will be in within 14 weeks!

I will refer this info to my friend though whose little girl suffers from glue ear each winter/cold season!

:aww:
ldnug
ldnug

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:55 pm

:aww: Oh my of course!

Poor little man.

Yes please do I am sure it will be able to help her little girl x
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahW Tue May 13, 2008 9:14 pm

I was 15 when i had my tonsils removed and various other proceedures carried out on my sinuses. The operation was very painful and i woke up with two black eyes from the other proceedures in my sinuses. However after a couple of days the pain does start to subside and in all fairness it then feels no worse than tonsilitus itself. I once had tonsilitus that bad that the doctors thought i had meningitus cos i was that ill, i have never regreted it even though it was painful at first.But i was a good deal older than your little one.
SarahW
SarahW

Female Number of posts : 585
Tell us about yourself : About you:Mummy to 5.(3 Boys and 2 Girls) and step mum to 3 Girls.Youngest baby born 20th April 2009.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down