Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another post by me, abit worried, is bf over for us?

+3
Natasha
gem1981
mcdiarmid356
7 posters

Go down

Another post by me, abit worried, is bf over for us? Empty Another post by me, abit worried, is bf over for us?

Post by mcdiarmid356 Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:19 pm

Its me again 👋 , Im worried that maybe we are near the end of breastfeeding :iconsad: . DD is 20 weeks now and for the past few days my boobs have been very soft and almost floppy(is thats possible, lol) When dd is latched on, she sucks like mad but isnt getting any milk at all!! I thought maybe it was my imagination but no, when i squeeze my nipple area no milk comes out and when she feeding ive not got the let down reflex, wheres before it was really strong. She is getting angry with herself and flapping about all over the place. She is now on solids and she is eating loads as she is obviously making up for it cos she isnt getting milk.

What the hell do i do? :tear: :tear: :tear:

:please?: someone help me, i have no-one to turn to for advice and hv is crap

mcdiarmid356

Number of posts : 29
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Another post by me, abit worried, is bf over for us? Empty Re: Another post by me, abit worried, is bf over for us?

Post by gem1981 Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:43 pm

:aww: I'm sure someone will be along soon who can give you more advice than I can, but in the mean time I'd say to eat plenty of oats to naturally increase your milk supply. And have plenty of skin to skin with your little one. I'm sure you are producing, even if you don't feel like you are. Could you try reducing LO's solid intake? Or I'd try always offering :boob: before solids. She may just be going through a growth spurt. HTH xxxxxxxxxxx

gem1981

Female Number of posts : 1459
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 1
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Another post by me, abit worried, is bf over for us? Empty Re: Another post by me, abit worried, is bf over for us?

Post by mcdiarmid356 Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:50 pm

I tried the oats and that didnt do anything just gave me a sore stomach!!! I do offer her boob before solids but its as if she knows the outcome before latching on so she isnt interested.

mcdiarmid356

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:56 pm

Hiya

Sounds like a growth spurt to me hun, mine felt as they had nothing in and hardley had anything come out (or so I thought) Oli was crying all the time etc.

The main way to solve this is to keep putting her to the breast, just like a newborn, growth spurts are liek going back to the begining, no matter what age they are.

I really struggled at that age and the other one was around 3 months I had problems with, I tried everything and I still had lots of supply issues but I turned to a herbal supplement which helped.

main option for you is lots of skin to skin, plenty of food and water for you.

THE LAST resort is the herbal supplement if you are still having problems in about a week or so.

I tried Fenugreek
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/fenugreek.html

Some women take it with milk thistle but I didn't need too.

It worked within a week for me, took 3 a day and I stank of maple syrup Razz

One thing I will say is, by giving her more food your causing a bigger problem for yourself, I know its hard because shes diddy and your concerned about her being hungry, but you need to put her to the breast as much as possible to get your supply back up, I also recommend you pump inbetween aswell.

That will really help you, and if your still struggling get some fenugreek if you feel its nessasary, your bfing relationship is certainly not over! :bighug:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mcdiarmid356 Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:03 pm

I thought the growth spurt roundabout this age was 16 weeks??? Im only asking as she was a nightmare at that one.

I read about the herbal stuff and it sounds good apart from the smell!!! lol

I took motilium ages ago and boy did that work. I might have to buy some tomorrow just to tide me over for the week.

Ive tried pumping but nothing comes out. Are you saying pumping to express or just pumping to boost supply?

mcdiarmid356

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:46 pm

Pumping to boost supply hun.

Nipple stimulation is needed to produce more milk, which is why you need to put LO on as much as you can and why you need to pump x

Yes they do happen around 16 weeks, but I know I have had them before 6 months too, she could also be teething and as you say shes not content with feeding as its quicker and easier for her to eat or have bm from a bottle, they have to work at the breast.

Your supply has gone down the more she has eaten solids, its just a case of getting her used to the boob again Very Happy
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:20 pm

I think we all go through the stage of 'floppy boob' which is quite normal as is not feeling let down so much. I used to squeeze my nips and get nothing but its worth remembering we normally squeeze wrong and dont stimulate like a baby and i know i produce plenty of milk but cant ever get any out from a pump! Dont get disheartened keep overing her boob as much as poss & slow down on solids,i know some of the girls bathe with babe to get lots of skin contact. Dont worry you will get through it:aww:
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:45 pm

:aww: I cant add any more than the girls have, but if you keep at it, it will certainly pass :bighug:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:09 am

Growth spurts occure around every 4 weeks lol so this is most likely.
And remember once your supply is established your breasts won't feel as hard and "milky" like in early days. As for "squizzing" milk out by hand, when baby is sucking certain areas of breast and nipple are being massaged and baby is sucking so ... baby is much more effective than test squizze. Also I know mums who were never aboe to pump ounce in their life and still bf their 2 year old kids.
My advice is follow baby's lead and bf as often as possible and as long as possible. Also plenty of skin to skin contact.
Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by mcdiarmid356 Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:26 pm

Well last night she fed every hour, started at 11pm and got to sleep at 5.45 am. Im so tired. What is going on with her at the min?

mcdiarmid356

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:49 pm

definately a Growth spurt!
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:41 pm

There is a growth spurt at 20 weeks, give her milk, that is what she needs.
Solids at this age will just fill her little tummy up but won't necessarily give her the calories she requires - remember milk is the main source of nourishment until they are one.

It WILL pass though!

Drusilla

Female Number of posts : 244
Tell us about yourself : People who have kids by more than 3 different men are SLAGS. They don't give a shit about the welfare of their children, otherwise they would be keeping their bloody legs shut and creating a STABLE environment for their kids, either in a stable relationship or as a single mother - because single mothers are perfectly capable of being fantastic parents. If you want to sleep around use some fucking contraception until you are sure your partner is in it for the long haul, it is not fucking difficult. Kids need stability - they don't need a succession of men coming in and out of their life.
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down