Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A bit worried. ** UPDATE**

+7
kay
Drusilla
Natasha
Kasia80
emmiesmummy
salocius
clairelana
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A bit worried.  ** UPDATE** Empty A bit worried. ** UPDATE**

Post by clairelana Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:48 am

I'm a bit worried as Kaydi has only put 3oz on in 3 weeks. My HV didn't say anything about it. I think she may think its only been a week not 3.
Looking at it, shes going towards the 0.4th centile . Shes been steadly following the2nd centile till now.
I know she doesn't feed off one side for long enough. Once she has had the fast flowing foremilk she fusses and even cries sometimes. I leave her on the same side for as long aspossible till she can't possibly be getting anything as she's crying. Then i offer the other side. which seems to be what she want and why she is crying.

What do i do?

Last edited by clairelana on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
clairelana
clairelana

Female Number of posts : 618
Tell us about yourself : About you: I'm 27 married for 2 years and have two littles angels. Lana 2 years and Kaydi 7 months.
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

A bit worried.  ** UPDATE** Empty Re: A bit worried. ** UPDATE**

Post by salocius Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:13 am

I'd personally ignore the weight charts as they are about 20 yrs out of day and intended for FF baby.

As long as she is happy and content I wouldn't worry too much.

Tasmin has been fussy for the last week or so but she has been suffering on and off with a cold for about 2 weeks.

I'm sure someone will be along soon who's more experienced than I am

salocius

Female Number of posts : 98
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Upset
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by clairelana Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:20 am

I have the breast fed chart in my book. I asked for one....lol.
I shouldn't worry, i know but you just do don't you.
She is already very small compared to all the other babies her age i know.
She is teething at the moment though. That could be part of the problem.

It just the fussing and wanting the other side after a short feed i'm bothered about. I don't know if she's getting enough hind milk.
clairelana
clairelana

Tell us about yourself : About you: I'm 27 married for 2 years and have two littles angels. Lana 2 years and Kaydi 7 months.

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:12 pm

Emily always shows as being underweight & for months would only feed on one side in the day ,even now she likes left in the day & i trick her with the right in the night.
I very rarely take her to be weighed anymore that way i dont worry where she is on the chart.
I would say if shes happy & giving wet nappies ignore the charts .
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:39 pm

Did you try to express milk before putting her on breast, taking some fore milk off and then putting baby on "prepared" breast: this way even if she'll bf only for a while she;ll get hind milk.
Also: why do you think she likes to bf only short time/ on beginning of session? Is she keen on fast flow? Is your letdown strong? Is your milk flowing steadily or after first few minutes its slowing down? Is she getting tires easy/ falling asleep?
I have something in mind, lol, but need you to answer me on that.
Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:40 pm

I agree with Katie maybe try pumping a little fore off first so she gets the hind.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by clairelana Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:32 pm

I've not tried pumping before. How long do you recomend?
As far as i know she likes the fast flow. I think i have a strong let down. From what happenes when i express I get several streams that are quite fast for say about 3 mins then it slows to almost nothing.
She doesn't get sleepy unless its time for her nap.
clairelana
clairelana

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:39 pm

I would pump lets say for 3-4 min and then pop her on breast, freeze pumped milk- you'll start solids soon and it will be perfect for porridge or even practicing with sippy cup.
To spead the flow of milk you could try breast compressions, you can find brilliant video with instructions here:
http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Breast-compression.asp
http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Breast-compression.asp
Kasia80
Kasia80

Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:59 am

Please do NOT get hung up on this foremilk/hindmilk stuff - your boobs do NOT make 2 kinds of milk.

Think of it as a hot water tap. When you first turn the tap on, the water feels cold, but then gets hotter and hotter.

When your baby first sucks at the breast, the fat content of the milk is low but quickly increases in concentration.

Tiny Terror went through a phase at around 5-6 months when he was showing a definite breast preference, it soon pass though.

Have to dash he has just woken up.
Have a look at link

Drusilla

Female Number of posts : 244
Tell us about yourself : People who have kids by more than 3 different men are SLAGS. They don't give a shit about the welfare of their children, otherwise they would be keeping their bloody legs shut and creating a STABLE environment for their kids, either in a stable relationship or as a single mother - because single mothers are perfectly capable of being fantastic parents. If you want to sleep around use some fucking contraception until you are sure your partner is in it for the long haul, it is not fucking difficult. Kids need stability - they don't need a succession of men coming in and out of their life.
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:25 am

Right I am back.

Expressing does not give good indication of how much milk you will produce. I cannot express at all now - if I try to hand express I might get one tiny drop out, yet I see to have no trouble feeding Tiny Terror. My ds has also dropped a centile, from 9th to 2nd, my HVs are not bothered in the slightest, have put it down to him being very active.
How active is your lo? Is she rolling around lots? Starting to crawl? Is she interacting with the world around her lots? It could be that she is getting frustrated, she is hnugry but she wants to do things as well, hence the fussing at the breast.
Agree with the others re:weighing, if she seems to be content, has got bracelets on her wrists, producing lots of wet/dirty nappies then she is doing fine and you are doing a grand job of feeding her.
Oh and Tiny Terror also failed to gain weight for 2 weeks, when he was about 20 weeks, he made up for it the weeks after though - if he gain has been very good it could be that it is just a blip.

Drusilla

Tell us about yourself : People who have kids by more than 3 different men are SLAGS. They don't give a shit about the welfare of their children, otherwise they would be keeping their bloody legs shut and creating a STABLE environment for their kids, either in a stable relationship or as a single mother - because single mothers are perfectly capable of being fantastic parents. If you want to sleep around use some fucking contraception until you are sure your partner is in it for the long haul, it is not fucking difficult. Kids need stability - they don't need a succession of men coming in and out of their life.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:42 pm

Drusilla wrote:Please do NOT get hung up on this foremilk/hindmilk stuff - your boobs do NOT make 2 kinds of milk.

Think of it as a hot water tap. When you first turn the tap on, the water feels cold, but then gets hotter and hotter.

When your baby first sucks at the breast, the fat content of the milk is low but quickly increases in concentration.

Tiny Terror went through a phase at around 5-6 months when he was showing a definite breast preference, it soon pass though.

Have to dash he has just woken up.
Have a look at link
I kind of agree with you- but making mum understand there is a difference between milk coming out on the beginning and end of bf session is important, otherwise they end up switching every two minutes and baby won't get enough. And this is the most simple way of explaining it to them, keep in mind some mums have not mush education etc and fore/ hind milk terms are widely recognised.

Claire asked what she could do to help LO gain better, and this is what we simply do.
Kasia80
Kasia80

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Kasia80 wrote:
I kind of agree with you- but making mum understand there is a difference between milk coming out on the beginning and end of bf session is important, otherwise they end up switching every two minutes and baby won't get enough. And this is the most simple way of explaining it to them, keep in mind some mums have not mush education etc and fore/ hind milk terms are widely recognised.

Claire asked what she could do to help LO gain better, and this is what we simply do.

Noted. But this distinction is an important one and well worth educating people on.

Drusilla

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:02 pm

Now im confused!
So are you saying foremilk and hindmilk dont exsist? What is letdown for then?
There is definately a noted difference when i pump for the milk bank - my milk initially squirts fast and is quite clear (which i assumed was 'thirst quenching foremilk') It then stops for a few seconds and then becomes thicker and whiter and drips out as opposed to squirting out. (I assumed this was the 'calorific hind milk')

:help:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:44 pm

See this explanation here, it might explain it a bit better than I did!
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/foremilk-hindmilk.html

It's not that there isn't foremilk and hindmilk, it's just that there isn't a switch between the two. The impression when people use this explanation is that you feed for x minutes and that is foremilk and for y minutes for hindmilk. It is much more gradual transition and this transition varies from breast to breast and also the frequency with you feed also can have an effect - if you feed more frequently then the milk will be higher in fat than in you space the feeds out more.

Drusilla

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:48 pm

Thankyou!
That makes it a bit clearer Very Happy
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:51 pm

Glad to help Smile

Drusilla

Back to top Go down

Post by clairelana Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:21 am

I expressed before i fed today for the first time.

I feel horrid, Kaydi is fussing and crying whilst trying to feed.
She's grabbing and pulling at me getting really annoyed.
I think its because she is having to work harder to get anything out.

I did seem to have a let down but it was really short, lasting only seconds.
She is now doing an annoyed humming noise while trying to feed. She's getting tired.
clairelana
clairelana

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:15 pm

When this happens carry on with breast compression, shoudl encourage another let down x
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by clairelana Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:20 am

Its all going well now.
clairelana
clairelana

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:59 am

Fantastic news hunny :aww:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:55 pm

cheers cheers
jools
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by clairelana Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:22 am

Kaydi put 10oz on this week.cheers
:boob: :boob: :boob: :boob: :boob: and a little more :boob:! lol!

Thank you for the help ladies. :cheer:

I worried for nothing as usual!

YIPEEEEE!bliss
clairelana
clairelana

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:58 am

Fantastic!!!

Welldone hun :aww:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:51 am

:aww: well done hunny :boob:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:51 am

bliss WTG!! mama :aww:
Kasia80
Kasia80

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next