Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breastfeeding reduces cot death by 1/3

+2
kay
just Rachel
6 posters

Go down

Breastfeeding reduces cot death by 1/3 Empty Breastfeeding reduces cot death by 1/3

Post by just Rachel Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:39 am

I watched a story on GMTV and Dr Hilary says that breastfed babies are 1/3 less likely to suffer cot death.

I will try and find the link so you can read it.

I have noticed that BF has been in the media quite a lot recently has anyone else noticed this too ?
just Rachel
just Rachel

Female Number of posts : 1165
Tell us about yourself : About you: I love life and laugh at everything.
Your mood today : Naughty
Thanks and Reputation points : 4
Registration date : 2007-10-26

Back to top Go down

Breastfeeding reduces cot death by 1/3 Empty Re: Breastfeeding reduces cot death by 1/3

Post by kay Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:32 am

I think there is definately an increase in publicising breastfeeding, and a lot more celeb endorsement to cheers

I think society is doing an about-turn health wise. We became a very unhealthy nation, and now there is a lot more focus on healthy eating, weight loss, natural therapies etc - and breastfeeding is the one thing that gets all of this off to the best start.
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Breastfeeding reduces cot death by 1/3 Empty Re: Breastfeeding reduces cot death by 1/3

Post by Natasha Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:36 am

Dont you mean Breast start :boob:

Yes I agree there is alot more, I just hope more and more women will :cheer:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nichola Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:19 am

Breastfeeding awareness week is coming up in May and there is always an increase breastfeesding stories not always positive ones though unfortunately.

I agree we need more publicity about how amazing breastfeeding is. :boob:

When I was pg with my first baby I didn't know that breastfeeding reduced the risk of cot death or cancer (in me and my baby) and just about any disease I could think of would be less likely if I breastfed.

I just had a vague notion that breastfeeding was good but I didn't know why.

People argue that promoting breastfeeding makes women who formula feed feel bad but it is not about that it is about telling women the facts so they can make an informed choice.

Then of course there needs to be alot of support available so when women do choose to breastfeed they don't end up stopping due to problems that could be fixed.

Nichola x

nichola
BreastBuddies
BreastBuddies

Number of posts : 169
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:57 pm

anyone watch the embarassing ilness program? they did an episode on boobs last night, bf was mentioned too! in a very positive way, its a start but there needs to be a hel of alot more done to erase the negativity,
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by just Rachel Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:10 pm

I think that the reason why younger mums do not BF is that they see their breasts as being just a sexual part of their bodies and do not know the benefits of BF.

I would love to see younger mums BF as most of the younger mums I know say..."I don't like the idea of my boobs drooping after I finish BF"

There seems to be a lack of knowledge on BF. My boobs have never drooped and so far I have BF for a total of 18 months.
just Rachel
just Rachel

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:58 pm

Im going to be contraversial, but I believe many mums - mainly young mums - formula feed because they can get it free from the government.
Im sure if the government took away the 'free formula' to those on a low income, we would get less teenage pregnancies and more BF mummies. There have been so many programmes and articles and tv programmes recently about young girls that get pregnant to get a free council home - the free formula kind of goes hand-in-hand.
I know i am being contraversial, and i am not having a go at anyone (except the government Laughing ), but im sure if the free formula was not an option, it would make more women consider BF - it is the only other free option. And for those young girls that dont want to BF, it would make them think twice about getting pregnant in the 1st place if they cant afford to feed their child.
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:29 pm

kay wrote:Im going to be contraversial, but I believe many mums - mainly young mums - formula feed because they can get it free from the government.
Im sure if the government took away the 'free formula' to those on a low income, we would get less teenage pregnancies and more BF mummies. There have been so many programmes and articles and tv programmes recently about young girls that get pregnant to get a free council home - the free formula kind of goes hand-in-hand.
I know i am being contraversial, and i am not having a go at anyone (except the government Laughing ), but im sure if the free formula was not an option, it would make more women consider BF - it is the only other free option. And for those young girls that dont want to BF, it would make them think twice about getting pregnant in the 1st place if they cant afford to feed their child.

Totaly agree with you Kay.

I have always said this too, women at my age (21) are hardley breastfeeding at all, most of their attudes are, well why bother if you can get formula free?

I have always said, if formula was only ever given on perscription or everyone had to pay, there would be a decrease in teenage mums, I know that for a fact.

That would also mean there would be more housing.

Having babies are a very easy option to them in their minds, they have a baby, get a house and free formula aswell as an income for sitting on their arse allday.

Realy annoys me Evil or Very Mad

I do think that yes parents are within their right to choose, but i dont think many of the women are even giving it a chance No

If formula wasn't so easy to get, more women would breastfeed = more support.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by just Rachel Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:56 pm

Do you know girls that had never crossed my mind !!! It has stirred a few thoughts in my head and I feel (sadly) I must agree with your opinions.

Whilst we are on the topic of bottle feeding I saw a mum the other day in a cafe with the bottle propped into the babies mouth.

I hate to see this and I call it lazy parenting, All babies love the comfort of being held and feeling the closeness of their mum.
just Rachel
just Rachel

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:44 pm

Rachel my mum did it Rolling Eyes I agree, its just lazy and sad for the kiddies :tear:

I am glad I have learnt so much on how "not to be" from my parents and others.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by just Rachel Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:03 pm

edited my accident Embarassed

Breast buddies
just Rachel
just Rachel

Back to top Go down

Post by just Rachel Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:50 pm

GO TO YOUR ROOM YOU BAD GIRL !!!!
just Rachel
just Rachel

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:53 pm

scratch what are you 2 on? :haha:

I learnt a lot of 'what not to do' from my parents too - i think it makes you a better parent yourself.

Im quite passionate in my opinions in the 'free formula' but didnt want to spark offence! Glad im not the only one that feels that way! (Vicky Pollard anyone?!)
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:09 pm

Embarassed I accidently edit Rachels post instead of quoting and deleted it all Embarassed

Kay you are not the only one! :boob:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by just Rachel Thu May 01, 2008 6:54 am

Before I was deleted I was saying lol! ......I have learned so much by watching and talking to other mums.

My own mum admits she did not understand nutrition in food and we were fed lots of chips. Mainly because we she had lots of mouths to feed on a very tight budget. My mum had 5 young children and had no support from anyone (including dad).

I have made a great effort to learn about healthy eating and my children are all fit and healthy due to my efforts.
just Rachel
just Rachel

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Thu May 01, 2008 7:08 am

cheers Well done :aww:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Thu May 01, 2008 9:27 am

I am loving breastfeeding but must admit still find it hard feeding in public,everyone looks at you like your some kind of monster or you can hide yourself away normally next to the loos !! Why are feeding areas always in the loos Mad
I know a couple of very young girls from work who both said they wouldnt be breastfeeding & when i asked why they thought the idea sounded horrible & they thought their boyfrinds wouldnt like it....and there lies the problem the men are worried they are going to miss out on their fun bags, they also all thought they would get droppy boobs. I pointed out that they would lose the weight quickly which sparked an interest,vanity plays a part i think.
Now like Kays mum, my mum is well barking mad, she think Emily should be on solids out in the garden all day no matter what the weather & on a bottle (proped up on a cushion) so i can get on with things rather than wasting my day sitting around all day feeding Evil or Very Mad
Sorry ladies rant is over lol!
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Thu May 01, 2008 9:33 am

Apologies the madder i get the worse the spelling gets
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Thu May 01, 2008 12:11 pm

emmiesmummy I hear that so much about parents trying to give you advice they think will benefit you Rolling Eyes

My mum had 6 children, and because she had 6 children she knows more about breastfeeding than me Rolling Eyes
( she never breastfed by the way )

I really dont understand why when you have children you are expected to just forget you have a baby and to get on with your life Neutral
You have a baby to change your life and start a fresh! you have a child to nuture and care for, to bring another fantastic person in the world.

I just dont get why people like my mum and yours dont see that Neutral

What you said about those girls unfortunatly is all too true, alot think that way saddly.

My partner was very supportive, it doesnt make him think any different of my body, it is still a sexual part for me and was a for feeding too, booby feeder by day, rampant love goddess by night :haha:

To be honest the men that think that way in my eyes are very shallow, just like their girlfriends/wives

I was scared to breastfeed in public, once I had done it a few times I actualy felt quite empowerd! I could do it and noone could stop me, it felt good, kind of rebelious!

Do it to pee them off, I did :haha:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Thu May 01, 2008 12:25 pm

I was scared to breastfeed in public, once I had done it a few times I actualy felt quite empowerd! I could do it and noone could stop me, it felt good, kind of rebelious!

I feel exactly the same!
As you know, when i was pg i was terrified, now i whop them out anywhere - i absolutely refuse to feed him 'designated areas' Evil or Very Mad
Im still armed and waiting for the first comment.......luckily none yet!

And Dave is v.supportive - he just says he wishes he gets as long on them as Corey does :haha:
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by just Rachel Fri May 02, 2008 5:19 am

Booby power rules :drink:
just Rachel
just Rachel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down