Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting seriously annoyed now!

+5
Kaelsmom
SarahW
Kasia80
emmiesmummy
kay
9 posters

Go down

topic 4 Getting seriously annoyed now!

Post by kay Thu May 22, 2008 9:52 am

OK, bear with this post - its goes in a few different directions!

1st, on a positive note, Corey put 1lb on in 2 weeks cheers wahoo!

Right.
been to clinic - and it's bint of HV again.
They take 2 in at a time - so i was able to hear the lady before me talking (which i dont agree with to start). She is BF son - same age as Corey - he has just reached 12 lb. he has put on an ounce in a week, and an ounce week before.
HV immediatley said ' you have to give him formula as a top up - hes not gaining weight quick enough'. Mummy asked why, was it she wasnt producing enough? HV said yes - thats the way it goes with some women. And proceeded to tell her how to make the transition from breast to bottle.
Having listened to all this - blood boiling - i had to say something.
So i turned around and asked how often he nursed. mummy said about 3 hourly day and night. I asked if she had looked at maybe adding things to her diet to help enrich milk, such as oats, and rather than switch over, try a herbal galactagogue such as Fenugreek.
Mummy didnt know about any of this.
HV said 'the important thing is to get this baby gaining weight and thats formula.' i pointed out he WAS gaining weight - just not as quick as some, surely there would be more concern if he was static or losing.
HV congratulated her on reaching 3 month mark BF - and said 'now go buy a tin of Actamil'.

Then my turn.
'Well done reaching 3 months - gaining weight nicely, have a free breastfeeding bib. bye.'
Not that easily Mrs - i want more ammo!
'i still have thrush in my breast and doc wouldnt give me anything - what do you recommend?'
'he has to give you antibiotics - why wouldnt he?'
'Because you dont treat thrush with antibiotics'
'you do when you are breastfeeding - you need to see a different doctor that knows what they are talking about'. Shocked

I thought i'd try one more before i left, and she actually got one right!
'when do i introduce solids?'
'6 months on a BF baby - he gets everything he needs from you, and his weight gain is good.'

How do i complain and who to?
I cant watch this stupid woman give such chronic advise any more - how many women will have stopped BF because of her?
how many have been given wrong medical advice?
I just want to make sure i complain to the right people at stage one, IYKWIM.

Thanks for reading - sorry its long winded!
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

topic 4 Re: Getting seriously annoyed now!

Post by emmiesmummy Thu May 22, 2008 10:23 am

scratch where do they get some of these hv from. They did this to my sister in law , she actually didnt want to :boob: but due to c-section had to stay in hospital & they encouraged her to try, she did :boob: for 3 months then son stopped gaining as quick as he was before, hv told her her son was going hungry & give him formula its her 1st child & wanted to do what she was told is best !
Im really lucky i have a fab hv this time, Emilys weight slowed down about a month ago & my hv was away & i was told she needed to be supplemented & i said i would wait to talk to my own hv & when i told her she was furious & told other woman that for a start the charts they use were made originally to progress bottle fed babies so are not an acurate tool for :boob: & babies weight sometimes fluctates & unless her weight dropped & then dropped again without levelling out or going back up do not tell her ladies to supplement with formula cheers cheers
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Thu May 22, 2008 1:17 pm

Kay, give me few days I'll get to the bottom if it Wink
Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahW Thu May 22, 2008 3:07 pm

Shocking who do they think they are, well done you for explaining the facts to this lady.
SarahW
SarahW

Female Number of posts : 585
Tell us about yourself : About you:Mummy to 5.(3 Boys and 2 Girls) and step mum to 3 Girls.Youngest baby born 20th April 2009.
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaelsmom Thu May 22, 2008 6:08 pm

Wow! We don't have HV's here. I was trying to understand exactly what their position is in healthcare. What kind of training do they have? This person is sadly uninformed. I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt with the prior antibiotic remark, but she clearly does not understand what she is talking about. I am confused as to why the doctor did not want to treat your thrush either. That's so weird in my mind.
I am so sorry for the struggle....
Kaelsmom
Kaelsmom

Female Number of posts : 61
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by gem1981 Thu May 22, 2008 6:28 pm

That's terrible. Good on you for speaking up Kay!!

gem1981

Female Number of posts : 1459
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 1
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by gem1981 Thu May 22, 2008 6:29 pm

That's terrible. Good on you for speaking up Kay!!

gem1981

Female Number of posts : 1459
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 1
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Thu May 22, 2008 6:56 pm

Evil or Very Mad Mad This has made me so mad!
A bit sad too Crying or Very sad
jools
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Thu May 22, 2008 7:03 pm

Kaelsmom wrote:Wow! We don't have HV's here. I was trying to understand exactly what their position is in healthcare. What kind of training do they have? This person is sadly uninformed. I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt with the prior antibiotic remark, but she clearly does not understand what she is talking about. I am confused as to why the doctor did not want to treat your thrush either. That's so weird in my mind.
I am so sorry for the struggle....

to be honest, the thrush is clearing, but i wanted to mention it to her again to see whether i got it right last time.
I dont know the doctors reasons for not giving me anything else - he had just written 'no' with no explanation at the bottom of the memo left at reception. If it had still of been bad today, i was going to re-book with a different doc, but its clearing, and Coreys mouth is clearer too.

As for Health Visitors, well, i have no clue any more. My sister in law is completing the training at the moment - im going to go and have a chat with her and try and find a few things out.
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Thu May 22, 2008 9:17 pm

Heath Visitor from Wikipedia Wink Sadly most of them are deeply underinformed and ignorant. They do have some training in a bf field, but most of it is one day course (I know it from our old HV) or so, not much then. TBH- I'm doing now BF counsellor training and our HV was amazed with amount of knowledge I've had doing the most basic stage of training.They stay behind research and don't do any self learnig, whitch is so sad. Bad advice or lack of any is nothing new.
Some of them- HV's- do some work in Baby Cafe or similiar groups. I never went to one so don't know how its there lol!
HTH
Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Thu May 22, 2008 9:33 pm

I can't believe she said that to that women!!!

Kay in a hv clinic there is usualy one that it most upto date with bfing and trained breastfeeding support worker ( they did at mine aswell as lactation consultant) or more of the "leader" of the hv clinic, You need to complain to the high hills hun, I can't imagine how many women shes already got off bfing when there is no need!

You need to find out who is in charge there and make a complaint in writing, and then obviously to her face aswell.

Its women like this that need retraining and trained until she gets it right, it is disgusting! no wonder so many women feel like they are failers and are not able to breastfeed when you have silly little bints like her giving advice, I am disgusted.

Good on you though!
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen Thu May 22, 2008 9:52 pm

No wonder so many women give up :boob: when theres stupid hv's amd mw's out there giving complete crap for advice. I no because of things my hv has also said! Well done for speaking out kay! cheers
Helen
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down