Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6 weeks and still sore long post

+3
angpixi
ldnug
izzys mum
7 posters

Go down

6 weeks and still sore long post Empty 6 weeks and still sore long post

Post by izzys mum Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:09 pm

HI guys I have been directed to this site for support as it seems i have tried everything but still struggling. I have pain in my nipples. They are always sore but like a sensitive raw feeling, hurts to have a shower or when clothiing brushes them. Is this just part of breast feeding? Then when babs latches on it is very painful, toe curling! Then it settles down for most of the feed except she seems to get stressed and pulls and wriggles which hurts too.

I have tried lansinoh, camillosan, breast shells, airing nipples, rubbing in breast milk, expressing some feeds, HV ruled out thrush, cabbage leaves!, warm flannels, cold compress.

For latching on i have chin to skin, tummy to mummy, nose to nipple, she has large mouthful.

When she is on she gulps loudly, her ears wiggle (so cute) sometimes she wriggles and pulls like she is stressed? but dont know. She has lots of wet/soiled nappies. Her weight is fine. My latch seems good IMO and others (mum, midwives, Health visitor, BF counsellor)

Last week though she only put on one ounce. we were trying a different way of latching on as recommended by bf counsellor. (nipple to roof of mouth instead of towrads tongue) So wondering if she is re learning how to feed, since then she has seemed frustrated and feeds for much longer.

Does anyone think the two following things could be the cause, sounds silly because its simple but could it be possible?
1.She just has a really hard suck :boob: :boob: (Ijust love that emotion!)
2.I just have really sensitive nipples

I think I am going to carry on anyway til 6 months but would much prefer if i wasnt in pain! Any help much appreciated
Sara and Isobella xxx

izzys mum

Number of posts : 6
Tell us about yourself : I am sara first time mum to Isobella Rose born in Feb 09. After a shaky start we are breastfeeding and loving it! feel like being a mum is my purpose in life and so glad we got the hang of the feeding as it is the most amazing experience ever!
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2009-04-08

Back to top Go down

6 weeks and still sore long post Empty Re: 6 weeks and still sore long post

Post by ldnug Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:33 am

I can sympathise my first baby had an incredible suck and I had very sensitive nipples - i remember the toe curling well affraid I also had the added issue that my DS used me as a dummy and onstatntly wanted to feed even long after he was full (his suck would change and he wasn't actually getting any milk)- in the end i resorted to a dummy as this was the only way he would latch off and give my nipples a chance to recover.

Six weeks is still early days and your nipples will toughen up - i would get rid of shields if you are still using them as this only prolongs the problem as I found out. You are doing all the right things with airing, creams etc as well as looking at your position - you just need to give it a few more weeks which at this point seems like a lifetime but it will pass quickly and you will look back at this point when you reach six months and almost have forgotten it. I managed to get through it - with tears and tantrums!! - and BF for 10 months so you can do it.

We are all here for support either advise or just as a friendly ear when no-one else seems to get what you are going through. :aww:
ldnug
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:36 am

hi sara, my second baby had a very hard suck and ive always had very sensitive nipples so i can empathise too! i used shields too but stopped gradually to desensitise nipples. you are doing all the right things. my fourth i had 7yrs after i stopped feeding my 3rd and she had a very small mouth Laughing and a hard suck so i was back to the toe curling again, i did persevere and she bf eventually til 2+ the soreness i think settled down after a couple of months.
cant offer much more advice but can say yes ive been through it! :aww: :aww:
by 6mths you will probably be over this and decide to feed longer Laughing :boob:
angpixi
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:48 am

:aww: I can't offer anymore than what has been given, but I agree about stopping with the shields if you are still using them.

Some babies have a very hard suck and she seems to be oen of those babies, your nipples will get used to it just will take time.

Well done though for getting this far!! :cheer:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:13 am

:aww: :cheer: yes i should have said well done for getting this far Very Happy
angpixi
angpixi

Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:29 pm

How is it going???
ldnug
ldnug

Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months

Back to top Go down

Post by Mervs Mum Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:37 pm

I remember thinking why does this hurt still....I thought I MUST be doing it wrong. I think that this 'if it hurts you're not doing it right' school of thought may be true MOST of the time but not always. I did the same as you but it was still toe tappingly painful for the first ten seconds or so. I think your nipples sometimes just need some time to toughen up. Not literally - I dont have rhino skin nips!! But they do get used to it.

If you've checked everything, which you sound to have, then I'd say grit your teeth and I think it will subside very soon.

In the mean time WELL DONE YOU !!!!! cheers cheers :cheer:
Mervs Mum
Mervs Mum

Female Number of posts : 221
Tell us about yourself : Lisa, Mummy to Emily, 14 & Hebe: My Little Pickle...x
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : -1
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by izzys mum Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:48 pm

Thanks ladies still the same here! just plodding on but nice to know im not on my own. Well we have been feeding like mad this week and Isobella is a whopping 9lbs 13 oz! she put on 13oz is a week, so pleased. she is definately getting enough.

Very Happy
Thanks for all your support xxx

izzys mum

Tell us about yourself : I am sara first time mum to Isobella Rose born in Feb 09. After a shaky start we are breastfeeding and loving it! feel like being a mum is my purpose in life and so glad we got the hang of the feeding as it is the most amazing experience ever!

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:31 am

fantastic weight :cheer: well done :aww:
angpixi
angpixi

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:26 am

cheers thats a great gain,sorry your having the toe curling but it will improve.....keep with it your doing great.
emmiesmummy
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jools Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:20 am

Sorry to hear you are still in pain :aww:
Sorry I can't offer any more advice than is already given but I just want to say WELL DONE cheers :aww:
jools
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:51 pm

Sorry to hear the pain is no better but well mdone for you perseverence and fantastic weight gain!! :aww:
ldnug
ldnug

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:41 am

Wel done, wow what a fantastic weight gain!! x
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by izzys mum Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:31 pm

I know I am so proud of my little angel :bf1:

Got to say through all the pain and tears, I am still really glad we're breast feeding. I wouldn't have it any other way, its just amazing x

izzys mum

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:41 am

:aww:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:25 pm

:aww: Well done - shows what a super mummy you are xxx
ldnug
ldnug

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down