Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Its time to stop......

+2
kaygeebee
kay
6 posters

Go down

Its time to stop...... Empty Its time to stop......

Post by kay Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:03 pm

You've probably seen that i am sleep training Corey using the 'No cry sleep solution', and this is going well so far.
But now i feel i need to stop breastfeeding, for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, Those that knew me when i was expecting Corey - you know how bad my pregnancies are! and if i end up in hospital again, i dont want the added worry of Corey screaming for me at home and having to go cold turkey no boobies.
second, My boobs are killing me, and its really irritating me now - especially as he isnt taking much milk, just more liking having my nipple in his mouth!

So, he isnt feeding in the day at all now. He will ask once or twice, but i manage to distract him. He has been having for the last 3 or 4 nights a small feed before going up to bed. Generally i can settle him in the night if he wakes by using his bedtime routine, but on his 2nd waking I have 'given in' and given him a little breastfeed before putting him back down. Sometimes he will have a waking up feed, sometimes not. so that is maximum of 3 feeds, all around nighttime.
I dont want to be harsh by stopping his feeds, as he does still seem to want the comfort of it, but to be honest, i am at a place where it has become a neccessity, and i dont want to get any more frustrated with it all.
I am going to try not to give him any unless it becomes dire, but then i dont want him screaming for it either. I also dont want to break the better sleep routine i have created - i feel that if i give him the boob, he will think its still ok to wake up for it. I dont mind keeing up a pre-bed feed for a little while to ease him out of it, but im wondering whether it would be better all round if i just try and stop full stop?

I neeeeeed Its time to stop...... 474264 and at the moment i am a little Its time to stop...... 884789 and Its time to stop...... 326544 , even tho the sleep is gradually improving!!
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Its time to stop...... Empty Re: Its time to stop......

Post by kaygeebee Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:54 pm

No advice, just wanted to give you a Its time to stop...... 875230

It sounds like you are both doing wonderfully well. xxx

kaygeebee

Female Number of posts : 127
Tell us about yourself : mum to a little boy, born August 2009
Your mood today : Bored
Thanks and Reputation points : 4
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:48 pm

Its time to stop...... 871924 Oh Kay

I can understand your feelings, I know I haven't experienced it myself but I have read a lot about bfing and pregnancy and what you are experiencing is very normal.

I think sometimes it can be the bodies way of telling you what you feel about stopping is right as a lot of women get similar feelings, eg sore nipples and the extra tierdness but weaning from the breast is not something they would consider. The other set of women have very similar feeling to you and wean slowy and very succesfully and both mother and child are totaly happy with that and its ended up being of benefit.

I am not for one moment advising that you should, but I do believe you should follow your feelings on this and trust yourself.

Although when the hormones settle a little around 12 weeks when the placenta takes over your feeling may change, I think you should just go with the flow Kay and if you find you are weaning him then go with that.

I wouldn't suggest stopping cold turkey but that is upto you, you know your son and you know him better than anyone Its time to stop...... Icon_flower
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:10 am

Thanks girls Its time to stop...... 871924

well i tried something a little different last night.
I followed his new bed routine, but I gave him a drink of warm cows milk as he was having his story (7.30 - 8pm). He drank it all and really enjoyed it, then snuggled down and went straight to sleep with no boobies!
He woke slightly at 3am, but was more fidgeting and calling me in his sleep, so i got up, tucked him back in and he went right back to sleep til 5.30 am!!!! Its time to stop...... Icon_cheers

He has NEVER slept this long before! (8 - 5.30!)
He was quite tetchy when he woke so i sat on his bed and gave him a booby feed and a cuddle, and he settled right back down straight away until 7.30.
so that is one booby feed in 24 hours.

I feel so much better, even if its just for a nights sleep!! anyway, i am going to carry on with this, and offer him cows milk when he indicates he wants booby, but still allow him a feed if he wont settle in the night.
I know it could have been coincidence, but im hoping this is the start of a better routine for us both! And i also think, if he will happily go off with milk at bedtime, and go for that stretch, if i did have a night in hospital, he could manage (even tho that should be a long way off yet!!)

One of my worries was the nipple stimulation if i carried on feeding, as i went into labour at 32 weeks with Corey, and they are unable to give drugs to stop it becuase of the palpitations.
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:17 pm

Its time to stop...... 871924 That sounds really positive Kay, I hope it continues.

Yes they do say you should be caustious, although it pretty much the same a the after effect of an orgasm, the contractions are very similar but if you to stop sex then I guess bfing would be questioned then too if your womb was iritable.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:36 pm

I was going to suggest warming up some milk for him and trying that. I know how you feel though. Lil miss is an agressive feeder and she tends to just sit with the nipple in her mouth most of the time which is really irritating. When she feeds its not too bad, but she doesn't do that, that often, maybe 3/5 times a day? If I was pregnant though I'd probably just give up.

Saying that I'm going away in February so I am hoping that 4 day's will stop her from feeding. She doesn't seem to require me as such, its more of a mummy cuddle for her now.
Squiglet
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:36 pm

maybe thats why i was in hospital so much with contractions last time..... Its time to stop...... Icon_redface
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm

kay wrote:maybe thats why i was in hospital so much with contractions last time..... Its time to stop...... Icon_redface

err kay! Its time to stop...... Icon_razz

Well when I was in latent labour (alyhough wasn't totaly aware) I couldn't have sex at all! the contractions were violent and was sure id go into labour there and then! but that was at 36 weeks with Lottie so we didn't do it Its time to stop...... Icon_razz
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by kay Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:26 am

Well, he hasnt had a feed now for well over 48 hours.

I got him down to none in the day, and between 1 and 3 through the night, which went to 1 through the night, and now none for over 2 nights!
When he wakes, it is generally because his cover has come off and he is just whining. he is still waking at 3 am, but asking for juice and a cuddle!

Im not saying ive officially stopped, if he really wanted or needed it, i would offer, but I am really happy with how its gone Its time to stop...... Icon_biggrin

I wanted to feed him (in the end) until he was 2, and i am 2 weeks off that target, but the time is right.

My boobs are a little tender and a little achy, but i think this is more pregnancy related i think, as he was feeding less and less anyway.

I couldnt and wouldnt have probably got past through the 1st few days of breastfeeding if it wasnt for you girls, and to reach 2 years is just amazing, so i would like to say a very huge thankyou to each and every one of you for your support ! Its time to stop...... 262538 (God, im blubbing - must be hormones!!)
kay
kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:43 am

Its time to stop...... Herz Well done Kay Its time to stop...... 871924
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:50 pm

awwwww well done!!! xxx
piesmummy2006
piesmummy2006

Female Number of posts : 2089
Tell us about yourself : i would say i am a yummy mummy to Niamh nearly 2 (who i am still breast feeding), and a childrens student nurse!!!!!
Your mood today : Naughty
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:30 pm

Well done - and now you have the confidence to do it all again xxx clap
ldnug
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down