Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Night waking

3 posters

Go down

Night waking Empty Night waking

Post by nickyjones Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:40 pm

A few months ago we managed to get to the point where Ellie was sleeping through the night (12hrs) with no problems. A few weeks ago she was quite ill and was waking up in the night with high temperatures and wanting a feed. Given that she had a high temperature, giving her more liquid is definitely a good idea and she was off her food so I was more than happy to BF her. She is now over this but she is only intermittently sleeping through the night again. Last night she didn't , night before she did, the 2 nights before she didn't but for 2 nights before that she did. When she wakes, if she seems in pain (she is very slow on her teeth coming through and they do seem to cause her pain at the moment), I give her some Medised (if she is not in pain I don't), I give her a sleep and put her back in her cot. That will normally (not always), then allow her to go back to sleep through till morning.

I am worrying though whether I should be trying to withhold giving her a breast feed now? Any advice would be recommended.

nickyjones

Female Number of posts : 221
Tell us about yourself :
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Night waking Empty Re: Night waking

Post by Kasia80 Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:51 pm

TBH, I wouldn't.
Maya is bit younger, but what you say sounds just like what Maya does. She is teething slowly too, we have 4 teeth comming thru and I have to give her pain medication.
Plus she had a bit of traumatic experience couple of weeks back, and I think she needs reasurance too.
She was sleeping thru for a while, then she had a cold and started to wake up for bf. And she will not settle in her cot, so at age 10 mnths we start to cosleep.

Maybe milk is working for her like sort of pain relief?I do strongly believe this is a case for Maya. Plus having mother close is something what will help with everything!

If you are worried abut tooth decay, I would suggest to read: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html

There is a fantastic book on sleep:No Cry sleep solution, I'm sure you heard of it. Highly recommended, but tbh I never read it Embarassed

And one more thing pops to my mind: Night weaning. https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com/breastfeeding-and-nutrition-f24/night-weaning-t322.htm I'm not suggesting, just trying to cover all areas.

Hope it helps you a bit. :aww:
Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyjones Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:18 pm

Thanks for the reply. Ellie has 4 teeth which have broken through the gum but none are fully grown yet. As I say she is teething VERY slowly. Thanks for the re-assurance. I worry that I might be encouraging her to wake as I don't think she really needs the feed any more, but I think it is definitely comforting and acting as a pain killer.

nickyjones

Tell us about yourself :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:21 pm

if she is waking for feeding - she needs it this is how I see it, if you understand: physicaly or emotionay, but she needs it.
sure, i'm super grumpy next day, but Maya comes first.

Even in a second year bf can play a major role in childs diet, providing essencial vitamins, fat, protein, etc. I know its somewhere on the Forum, but I can't remember where, so here is Extended bf fact sheet: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html#nutrition. Just to reasure you more. At least if Ellie is not eating well during the day she is getting bestest food from you! :boob:
Also she might be having growth spurt.

I feel you about slow teething, both mine are like this. But we always joke: at least this way teeth will last longer. John will be 4 in Feb and has no tooth decay at all! His first tooth didn't cut thru till he was 10 months. He was walking before he had teeth, lol.

I'm glad I could help, Nicky :aww:
Kasia80
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyjones Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:23 pm

Thanks for that. The worst time is about 2pm at work the next day it always hits me then, and I have to have a caffeine injection (I normal drink decaf coffee) to keep me going. Still she slept through last night. Fingers crossed for tonight.

nickyjones

Tell us about yourself :

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:15 pm

Olivia still wakes a lot, I think she always will while she is breastfed.

I can see that as your going to work it will be hard with the late nights, but as you said she is sleeping through again, im sure it was only temporary while she needed you :aww:
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

https://breastbuddies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyjones Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:18 pm

Well she slept through 2 nights in a row but woke this morning at 4am and I went into her at just after 4:30am to give her a feed. However she did completely refuse lunch in nursery yesterday so I think she was probably hungry.

nickyjones

Tell us about yourself :

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:47 pm

Thats great, I hope for your sake it stays this way Very Happy
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyjones Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:17 pm

So do I. She slept through again last night, and she ate well all through the day, so wasn't hungry and her teeth don't seem to be hurting her too much at the moment.

nickyjones

Tell us about yourself :

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:21 pm

Brilliant! things getting back to normal then Smile

This is one of the reasons I like to have some sort of routine with Olivia, when she doesn't go down at her normal time or she has more feeds than usual I know somethings up, wether it be a growth spurt or teeth I know were I am with her.
Natasha
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down